My heartbreaking dilemna

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mollyp, Sep 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mollyp

Mollyp New Member

My 9 year cat, Molly has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. I am a 63 year disabled woman and really having a hard time taking care of her. My disability really limits what I can do to the point that I may miss 2-4 shots a week. She hides and runs under the bed or elsewhere where I can’t reach her so often that her shots may be delayed 2-3 hours. In this case, many days I can only give her 1 shot because I can only give them at the minimum 11-12 hours apart. She is on vetsulin. So many days she only gets 1 shot. She’s lost a lot of weight (from 12 to 8 lbs), still drinks and urinates a lot but otherwise seems normal except for sometimes being finicky about eating the same food. I give her FF pate, freeze dried treats and a little of the prescription dry food as a treat (I know it’s not good for her but I have to get her to eat before the shots).

I’m so worried about her and what’s it’s going to do to her because of the missed shots. I have no one to help me. Do you think she’ll be ok like this temporarily in the case I can find someone to help me? Or if maybe if I got better at it and I only missed 1-2 shots a week. Or should I try to find her a new home. The prospect of giving her away really breaks my heart; I love her so very much. I adopted her from a shelter when she was just 8 months old. She is the sweetest kitty I’ve ever owned. I’ve heard of this group that rehomes diabetic cats for financial concerns but that’s not my problem. I am just unable to care for her properly. I won’t let her go anywhere unless I feel it’s a really good place that will treat her medical issues and give her a good, happy life. As much as it would hurt to give her away, I must think of what’s the best for her.

2. G3rtrud3

G3rtrud3 Member

Do you test her glucose levels at home?

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

There's lots of help and support here for you. If you can describe what the specific problems are around injecting insulin we might be able to give you some suggestions to make it easier.

So many things about treating feline diabetes seem next to impossible at the start and especially so if you have a disability. Many people have felt the way you do but learned some work arounds that allowed them to find ways to do it. Don't give up yet! :)

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

It sounds like the problem is when she hides under the bed, and you cannot reach her. I take it she will not come out because food is being served, correct? I was thinking that if she comes out for her meal, you could give her the shot while she is eating. Otherwise, is there anyone who could come over and help you?

5. JeanW

JeanW Member

Is there a local group where someone might come to help you occasionally? Here we have Feline Friends and they will often help with special situations.

Are you in the US?

6. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

What's the layout of your home? Is it totally open like a studio apartment, are there levels, rooms with doors? You might have a much better chance if you can "herd" her and block her access to places or rooms where she can hide from you and you can't get to her. When Fena was first diagnosed she didn't mind the shots but HATED the pills and liquid they sent her home with for her other problems (heck she still does) and I had to go through this ALOT - once you can zero in on her favorite places and can maybe block those off so she can't use them, it might be much easier for you.

She might learn though and get crafty, finding new places - or just outright trying to "run", if she does that let me know I have tricks for that too. Thankfully Fena doesn't really do that anymore but with her new Lactulose RX I think she'll start again. :rolleyes:

7. Rain7

Rain7 Member

You could also reach out to Diabetic Cats In Need. They have helped me!

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

DCIN could help if the problem was her not being able to afford supplies, but it sounds like that's not the case here....it sounds like she has mobility problems of some kind that make it hard for her to get her cat if he's not cooperating.

We can't come drag her cat out from under the bed....LOL (although if we knew where she lived, we might be able to find someone who could help!)

Rain7 likes this.
  9. Rain7

Rain7 Member

Yes, I suppose you are right. They only help with financial needs, and general questions, etc.

10. Mollyp

Mollyp New Member

I’ve been closing off my bedroom door after I feed her which helped but my shot times keep moving because of the delays. I’m having problems injecting her without hurting her. I try to make a tent but it’s hard since she’s so thin. Any suggestions; I’ve tried different spots. I hate it when she cries because I hurt her.

I haven’t starting testing. Really afraid and don’t know if I can do it. I’ve read up about the BG numbers and curve and it’s all so confusing.

11. JeanW

JeanW Member

If you're able to give us your general location, we might be able to find some help for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.