My kitty Jasmine

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ronnye Drexler, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronnye Drexler

Ronnye Drexler New Member

My kitty is 13 1/2 years of age was diagnosed a year ago with diabetes placed on Nolan and I’m supposed to give her two units twice a day she’s currently on eating science diet MD she fluctuates with her blood sugar up and down so I have to test her blood sugar twice today I noticed that she drinks a lot and when she drinks a lot of water and she gets really bad diarrhea and can’t stop going to the bathroom her appetite is not the best like it used to be I just want to know if anybody else has any suggestions

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Couple things

1. Is the MD wet or dry food? Dry is high in carbs so sugar can remain high.

2. Novalin is a short acting insulin (only couple of hours) so glucose will starting rising.

Should be testing before each shot if you can.

3. Did you transition the food slowly or just started giving it? Change in food can cause diarrhea.

4. Drinking a lot is normal for unregulated cats. Also being ravenous.

There is a list with low carb pate foods. No gravy or sauce as it's to high in carbs. I can't find the link right no, hopefully someone will post it. Fancy Feast is quite popular here.

5. Have you discussed with your vet about changing insulin to a longer lasting one? Could be novalin just isn't the one for your kitty.

3. Ronnye Drexler

Ronnye Drexler New Member

MD is wet and dry

She was transitioned slowly on the food

Her appetite is not the best and she just licks the moisture out of the wet food

Fancy feast is a good food?

At the vet now

Any advice or input is appreciated

4. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

If her appetite is not good you can ask your vet about giving her an appetite stimulant. Cyproheptadine is pretty widely used and doesn't have the side effects that Mirtazapine does.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Yes, many of us feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods.

Bellasmom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.