MY KITTY JUST DX'D AND I'M TERRIFIED

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by msmurphy2010, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Hello all. I'm brand new to this forum. My little girl, 11 years old, was just dx'd with feline diabetes this a.m. One of the first things I actually saw, but sort of didn't think anything about, was her ravenous appetite. Two weeks ago, it got worse, then I saw her several times sitting at the water dish, some 30 - 45 seconds drinking, and then all of the sudden, the litter box was filled by the end of the day with urine. We just found out this morning, and I cannot stop crying. She has lost almost 5 pounds since August of 2009, which is a tremendous weight loss for a cat of any age. I don't even know where to begin. I'm supposed to start the insulin this coming Saturday because I will be home all weekend and can monitor, but what if I start tomorrow and I have to got to work 8-5? I am at odds on what is the best approach. I don't even know what the labs mean, but can go over those in another email. I'm at a loss, scared and sad. Ms. Murphy's momma.

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Welcome to our little forum! Feline diabetes is easily treatable and you will soon learn that you can do it all very easily! After starting insulin, your kitty will start to feel better very soon. One big thing that we all strongly encourage is home testing of your kitty's glucose levels. This helps you and your vet to have an accurate idea of what her glucose levels are doing and can adjust the insulin dosage more safely than if you were to go in every week or two for glucose curves at the vet. (not to mention it is a lot cheaper too!)

What insulin were you guys prescribed?
    What were the glucose levels at the vet?
    Did the vet find any ketones present?

You have come to the right place. Everyone here is very helpful and encouraging! cat_pet_icon

3. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

Hello Muphy's mom!

Welcome to FDMB!! My name is Taline and I'm also a newbie, (35 days old here). Please don't panic and breathe. Everything is gonna be fine for your Murphy. My situation was similar to yours and this is where I found the support , the information and plenty of good advices. First of all, you need to switch Murphy's diet to wet food immediately. Cats don't do well on carbs, and that is why they become diabetic to begin with. Fancy Feast has the variety pate canned food in chicken, turkey and beef flavors, low in carb, cheapest good protein food for cats and i feed my Bibo that.
    Once you switch the diet to wet, cats' glucose normally drop by 100 points. That alone will help you to begin with and you'll see Murphy not drinking a lot of water because of that.
    Second important thing is for you to get a human glucometer and the strips to start checking Murphy's blood glucose level. This site has different forums, and links for you to learn how to poke his ear lobe to test his glucose.
    Third, is to check for Ketones in the urine. These are strips called Keto-diastix, you can buy them at any drug stores , $14,and you can dip the stick in his urine while he's usine the litter box (if you can) to see if he has ketones (dangerous if exist in urine) and also it will give you indication of glucose in urine.
    He needs to be on insulin, so his pancreas can have a break. But you need to learn how to test him in order to give him the shot. i wish you were in my city los Angeles) so i could help you, but please let us know which city you're in so if needed, someone can come over and help you.
    This is the best site for feline diabetes. My cat was diagnosed 35 days ago, and in the beginning, i was a mess too, and the only comfort I got was from fellow members here who helped me through that difficult time,and Bibo is doing great (knock on wood), not needing insulin after 15 days.
    Please feel free to post any question any time, someone will answer it for you, and post different topic everyday with Murphy's name on the subject line, so we can follow you.
    Be strong and have a faith in yourself. You're gonna be fine, trust me, and we're here to help you. Hugs and kisses.
    Taline

4. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Murphy is a health situation all of her own. She is a severe asthmatic on inhaled meds for almost 4 years, and has done extremely well with that, and I've gotten her well-controlled. I noticed last year that when she purches and sits, her fur on her back end would become spiked, and then over time, her coat was sort of greasy, but her skin had dandruff. So, here we are. Her labs, as far as I know from what my vet told me this morning on the phone are this (and I'm not sure how serious of condition she is in):

Glucose 317
    Lipase 235
    Amylase 1574
    Bun 48
    Urine glucose .35

I have no idea what these numbers are, but I know from having her other vet last year, that her glucose was around 300 every single time we did her panels, and her amylase was always very, very high. When I asked the vet last year about the alarming amylase number, he just disregarded it, which I'm thoroughly upset with now. Because that to me, triggers a question on her pancreas.

On her insulin, my vet is going to prescribe Lantus, or insulin glargine. I'm not certain of the dosage. My main concern this week is that I work 8-5 and I don't want to start her insulin on a Monday morning and then go to work and be gone for 9 hours without knowing what's going on. I thought that it would be best to wait until Saturday of next weekend so I can be home the weekend, plus it's a 3-day weekend. My vet thought that was safe, but who knows. I couldn't live with something happening to her if I go to work tomorrow and something happens. Thoughts anyone?

She is on a prescription diet already, Purina OM, which she wants me to keep her on. My cats were on Purina UR prior, because my Siamese, Oscie, has struvite history and needs an acidic urine. So, for years, they have been on the same diet. I switched them to OM last year because she was gaining so much weight, which was because UR is loaded with carbs. How do you feed a diabetic cat? They have always been grazers, and this will be so upsetting for them.

Lisa

5. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Also, I do have a glucose meter, with strips, it is One Touch Ultra, but I don't know if the lancets are too big for her? The other alternative is for me to purchase the Ipet meter and strips. What are others using? I was using the One Touch Ultra because I was in metabolic syndrome before I had surgery last year. It would be terrific if I could use that meter with the strips and the lancets.

How often do you feed a kitty with diabetes?

Murphy, Oscie and I live in Costa Mesa (OC California). cat(2)_steam

6. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Oh, one more thing, there were no ketones in her urine, which I assume is a good thing.

7. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

Hi Lisa,
    Sometimes the medication could induce diabetes, especially steroids. I don't know if Murphy's asthma inhaler has steroids in it. Her glucose level is high but not too high to panic, and I don't understand the other numbers. Hopefully someone will come on board to help with the info. If you had a glucometer and knew how to test her glucose, you could have started murphy on a very very low dosage of Lantus (one of the best insulins recommended here), and you wouldn't feel too scared of having her go hypo. but it is always best to be home the first few days when you start the insulin shots.
    I would also ask the vet if the asthma meds could cause diabetes too.
    I wish I could help you more Lisa. Like I said, i'm also new here, but will be here to follow your developments.
    taline

8. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

That's very good news Lisa!

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Lisa. It is overwhelming, isn't it? I hope it helps to know that we have all been in your shoes, with a diagnosis and scared to death. Then to come on this forum where there is loads of information, all of which seems complicated.

Did your vet do a fructosamine test? That is the definitive test for diabetes; it measure the blood glucose levels over the past few weeks - not just that day. The glucose number, if it was a blood glucose reading, is not terribly high, especially considering that she may have been stressed at the vet.

First, breathe. This is doable. Everyone here either has or had a diabetic cat and treated it successfully. We advocate wet lo carb food. (check out this website written by a vet to see why: http://www.catinfo.org) If you want to wait a week to start insulin, try the diet first. It can make a huge difference. Oliver went down 100 points overnight, changing from dry to wet.

You can free feed wet to all your cats. You can also feed several small meals a day or freeze the food in cubes and let them eat it as it thaws. Newly diabetic cats are literally starving as their bodies aren't processing food well, so you can feed more than usual.

Yes, your One Touch Ultra would be fine. Usually you start with 28-29 gauge lancet. Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zE12-4fVn8

Keep reading and asking questions. If you can get some bg readings before starting insulin, you will be way ahead of the game.

10. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

Well that's a good glucometer. Please check the expiration date on the strips. Sue is an excellent coach. She helped me a lot with my Bibo. I'm sure she'll be checking on you Lisa. Thanks Sue for rushing to help everyone here!! Love, Taline

11. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Thanks Taline. It helps to have a great student who is eager to learn!

12. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

The inhaled meds are great for asthma and diabetes alike! They do have steroids, but are not systemic since they go to the lungs and stay there. Many on here use inhaled steroids with their diabetic kitty. MUCH better than oral or injected steroids.

Ideally, you want to feed a canned food that has less than 10% carbs in it. You can take a look at different brands on Janet and Binky's food charts. Most here feed a few flavors of Fancy Feast, Friskies, Wellness, Evo, and Merrick.

The One Touch Ultra is a great meter than many here use also. Lantus is a really good, long acting, and gentle insulin. If you start at a low dose, you shouldn't have too much to worry about when you go to work.

How long has Murphy tested so high in his glucose? Also, his BUN level is a bit elevated. Has your vet discussed how to bring that level down? Adding water to his food or prescribing fluids?

13. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Today she seems very lazy. I guess I got used to the ravenous call for more food, but today, not so. I have noticed today that her little left front paw has been bothering her. Actually, I noticed it a few days ago, and I believe this is some sort of neuropathy they develop. When she goes to perch or sit with her paws under her, the left paw just sort of shakes a little bit, and I know that neuropathy feeling because I have it myself. I know the last fructosamine test was almost 400. I don't know if they did that test yesterday, but I'm sure they did. My vet had actually called me from home.

Actually, she's been on inhaled meds (FLovent) for almost 4 years I think, and although it is yes a steroid, it is not supposed to be systemic, but as severe as she is, she was on an extremely high dosage, and coupled with being chubby, my vet believes that the combo was what has happened here. So, I truly believe that even inhaled meds (steroids) can cause diabetes now. It certainly couldn't be her diet because the Purina OM is very low in carbs, higher in protein and fiber. But, she could have been developing this over the last few years.

This starts all over again for me, as the same fear I had when she was first dx'd with feline asthma. The constant watching. Even when I hear her pee, it's different. It's a heavier sound now than before. Must be from the sugar.

I didn't think her labs were all that bad either, but my vet said life-long treatment.

L confused_cat

14. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Welcome to the site.
    The first thing I have to say is that you are going to be just fine, and you little girl is also going to be fine. Now that you know what's wrong, you can go about making it right.

So, others mentioned diet. Very important - low carbs is the way to help because several cats are diet controlled diabetics and do not need any insulin.
    There's a list you can consult -
    Binky’s Food Lists
    Feeding Your Cat: Know The Basics of Feline Nutrition

Next, the insulin you are using - Lantus - here are some links to read, then ask all the questions you like here -
    Tight Regulation Protocol
    LANTUS & LEVEMIR – INSULIN DEPOT –AKA- STORAGE SHED
    Lantus&Levemir – Data Ready to Shoot Low Numbers

Here are some links with info on what to watch for and what to do if you get low BG when you test.
    List of Hypo symptoms
    How to treat HYPOS – They can kill! Print this out!
    Jojo’s HYPO TOOLKIT

Home testing is pretty important, and easy once you get the hang of it. My two pretty much sleep through the pokes on the ears so it can't possibly be hurting them.
    Testing on cat’s ear

Finally, you'll want to put together a profile so you won't have to repeat stuff like the asthma condition, what food you are feeding, and all the other infos, and start a spreadsheet to track your BG numbers so that others can see how you are doing and help you along.

I know it's alot to learn all at once but knowledge is power.
    As for life long, well, you never know. There have been dozens and dozens of cats from this site alone who have gone off insulin, and the same may happen for your little girl too ... you just never know.
    Don't worry, you and your little girl are going to be just fine.

15. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Thanks to all of you for your effort to make me feel welcome. One question is, given her values, would any of you start the insulin and head off to work, or are the values safe enough to where I could wait until Saturday. I don't know what it's like to feel like a diabetic, and since she's a kitty, she can't tell me, only what I see. I don't want her to suffer one minute of her life if I can help it.

16. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

It's going to be okay. Diabetes is very, very treatable; many cats even go into remission. Please read everything you can on this site, especially the information about diet (hint - wet food is best...there are many varieties of Fancy Feast that are pretty good). Look for information on home testing OR let us know what city you are in and somebody might be able to come show you how to test.

Lantus and Levemir are considered the best insulins for the newly diagnosed (have high remission rates). It's best to get the 3ml pens or cartridges rather than the 10ml vial.

I started this message about an hour ago...people have probably already said everything I'm saying, but it's good to hear it more than once. Hang in there - it really will be okay.

17. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

Lisa,
    I felt exactly the same way when Bibo was using the litter box, and the sound of him peeing...I was terrified, but i'm relaxed and in peace now, and you will be too once you'll learn how to home test. I can't stress enough about it. Like I said earlier that it empowers you and it really does.

18. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

So, that thick urinating sound is nothing new? And, how about the little paw shaking thingy? I'm assuming she has a little neuropathy. Does anyone think it's okay to wait until Saturday to start the insulin?

19. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I thought 400 on a fructosamine test was just borderline diabetic. If that is the case, a diet change might be all you need.

I looked up Purina OM. I assume you are feeding wet OM? Even in the wet, corn meal is the 4th ingredient. We try to feed lo carb with no grain at all. On our food charts, it is 22% carbs. We try to feed 8-10%. (http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodOld.html)

Here's the ingredients:

Ingredients (Canned)
    Water sufficient for processing, chicken, liver, corn gluten meal, powdered cellulose, meat by-products, carrageenan, calcium phosphate, guar gum, added color, potassium chloride, locust bean gum, magnesium sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin A supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, potassium iodide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin D-3 supplement, sodium selenite, folic acid, biotin. G-4559
    G-4559
    *8% - a source of fiber

20. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

I know, but the Purina OM was the closest thing for I could feed them both while keeping Oscie's ph in his urine level enough that he wouldn't end up with struvite. I have had great success with Purina Vet Diets, he has been crystal free for almost 10 years. But, they are both grazers, so this is going to be difficult. I think you are right about being borderline, but my vet swears that yes, she is diabetic, and she has all the classic symptoms. Also, has anyone ever noticed initially that their kitty's little belly is a little distended? She was so chubby before, but now that I see she's lost 5 pounds since August 2009, I see her little belly is sort of distended and hard. Maybe I'm thinking too much.

L

21. Sue and Oliver (GA)

If I were you, I would post tomorrow morning and ask about a diet for diabetic cats with crystals. I know we have some people with those issues, but it is very quiet on the board tonight.

And do read this page from Dr. Lisa Petersen's website on urinary tract diets: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth She is really an expert on feline diabetes and diet. It might be food for thought (no pun intended).

22. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Lisa, the One Touch Ultra is a great meter......only one I will use for my cats. You can order test strips, lancets, etc. from Hocks.com. At the top of the page, left hand corner, is a little Hocks sign to click on. Shipping is free on USPS if the order is over $59. You want to order the OTU test strips that are marked Mail Order only. Cheaper, same strips, just a cheaper box they come in. If you have any test strips right now, check expiration date. Once a vial is opened, the strips are only good (supposedly) for a few months. As you already have the meter, how about testing her at home before starting any insulin and then post the numbers you are getting. Her fructosamine number is questionable and testing her blood at home and also testing her urine for glucose could be a big factor in dx. If you buy some Keto-Diastix, you can test her urine for ketones and glucose. Always helpful to have them on hand too.

23. RuthV

RuthV Member

Please don't panic - I felt the same way, then realized my cat was NOT at death's door.
    Mine is 12, overweight, and has been on Lantus for a month, 3 units twice a day. I took him in when I got tired of the pooping outside the box and increased thirst.
    I put him on 100% canned food, and mixed in a bit of Miralax for the constipation - it has cleared up and he's using his box again.
    I give the shot while he's eating - he hasn't noticed it yet - at 7:30 am and pm.
    I have worked out his calories and feed 5 times a day. Working? You can used the frozen puck method. I can explain if you haven't run into it here. When he screams he's starving, I try to occupy him with grooming etc.

You can learn a LOT if you just peruse these posts.
    I am working toward home testing - slowly.

You can DO it.

24. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

I get the OTU strips for myself in quantities of 100 for 60 day supply, and I don't use them hardly anymore, but I sure can use those instead of buying them through another source. My question is the lancets I'm sure are probably different, but what kind would work with the OTU meter?

Today, she's sort of lethargic, so I think that since my vet has told me last night, we are going to gradually start the insulin and I think it is important to start tonight. I've got to talk to her about feeding times because I work 8-5 every day. I'm hopeful that she can have twice per day feedings, but I'll leave that to my vet.

She seems very depressed today, low energy, so don't you think it's better to start now then wait the weekend. I certainly don't want her developing ketones, which I've heard can happen very quickly.

Thank you so much.

25. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Diabetic kitties often do best with several small meals during the day, just like human diabetics. It is easy to do with an automatic feeder and/or freezing the wet food into cubes. We love the PetSmart 5 which is easy to program and has been impossible for our cats to break into. I have a plastic (freezable and bakeable) cupcake pan. I put the catfood into each section (It is about a serving) and freeze it. Then I take those frozen circles and put them into a baggie. Niko gets a thawed breakfast via the feeder every morning. They thaw out over 6 hours or so.

26. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

I am not sure what you mean about the lancets working with the OTU meter - one has nothing to do with the other. The lancets go into a separate lancet device that you use to prick her ear for testing. Some people don't use a device but prick the ear freehand. Lancets can be upwards of 28 gauge to 31 gauge. I like the 28 gauge - have too much trouble getting blood with anything smaller.

I know it is hard just to give the shot and not be there all day, especially in the beginning when you are trying to get her regulated on a set dose. Can you come home at lunchtime and check in on her? Sounds like she needs to start on the insulin but will have to leave that up to you and your vet. Is there anyone that can come in and check on her?

27. pamela and tigger

Just wanted to add that diet is a major factor in getting this disease under control. I know you feel that there are issues here whereas you feel you must feed them the special diet. Please read the link that Sue gave you from Dr. Lisa - it is long but there is very good information there.

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth

You probably should ask your vet about the slightly distended belly. I hope it doesn't mean anything.

28. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

I did go home at lunch and check on her, and she seems fine right now. I opened the food bag up and right away, she comes running from the hills. I guess, obviosly, I am experiencing some severe tension right now, and I am anxious because my vet is off work until Wednesday, and although we discussed the insulin, I can't get in touch with her to call the script in, and what the heck about feeding her? I'm totally baffled by all of this. THe other thing I'm baffled about is her previous vet from last year, showed 3 consistent lab panels within 5 months of each other, with increased glucose and fructosamine, as well as her amylase, which hasn't really changed. When I asked him about diabetes, he pretty much let it go, saying amylase is not something vets really look at. I feel his is somewhat responsible for not taking better care of her and truly seeing her labs, and possibly, this coul dhave been avoided one year ago. Because since then, she has lost almost 5 pounds, that was last August.

29. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

I think you are being a bit overwhelmed by things right now so perhaps we can simplify things...

1. yes, it is a good idea to start earlier rather than later, so if you can get started this week and not on the weekend, that would be best. Start with a low dose (no more than 1 unit) of insulin, preferably lantus/glargine or Prozinc PZI.

2. Do not stress about being away during the day; the majority of us work for a living and our cats manage just fine.

3. last year's tests - yes, DOOO ask why the vet didn't say anything last year

4. Dry food is NOT good for a cat with urinary issues, no matter what the formulation as dry food can dehydrate and thus make crystals work. But don't change things till you are more confident in what the next steps should be. REad Dr Lisa's website and if need be do a phone consulation with her and do some more research. Just know that a significant reduction in the % of calories from carbs may help a lot.

Jen

30. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

Lisa,
    I know you're very upset and scared right now. You have all the right to be, especailly at the former vet who didn't pay attention to Murphy's blood results. But, be hopeful, please. Murphy's blood glucose is not dangerously high, you could wait another 2 days. Now that you have your glucometer and the strips, you could check her bg. i personally don't use the device to prick Bibo's ear. I use the lancet directly, and to be honest with you I don't even know which number is my lancet, as long as I get a couple of drops from Bibo's ear. I know you have great concerns about the other numbers you mentioned earlier, Amylase etc,.Those questions are best to ask the vet on wednesday. Meanwhile, as long as Murphy's eating and she doesn't look in distress, you can breathe and wait until wednesday or thursday. Sorry that you're going through a very difficult time. I was there too a month ago.
    Taline.

31. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

One comment on the insulin prescription --
    the most cost effective way to get Lantus or Levemir is in 3ml cartridges "for use with injection pen", which come in a 5 pack.

usually the vet will need to write that on the prescription -- depends on your pharmacist

Lantus will break down over time -- sometimes as short at 4 weeks, sometimes longer -- so if you buy the standard 10ml vial, you will be throwing away a lot.

So - the upfront cost of the cartridges is more than the 10ml vial, but they will ultimately last longer because the 4-6 week "effectiveness timer" doesn't start until you stick the first needle into it.

Levemir is less fragile than Lantus, but newer and so less commonly used. I personally use it for my two adopted diabetic cats. I get the 3ml cartridges and can use them all up before they go bad (lasts about 3 months for each cartridge) --- so a 5 pack will last me over a year.

We use regular insulin syringes -- not the pen.
    this is my favorite syringe:
    http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... 40030.html

32. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

when my cats were on dry food, they developed struvite crystals. the remedy. canned wet lo carb food with extra water added. flushed the crystals right out and they have not had any for over 4 years now. But one cat did develop diabetes from being on dry food. all my cats get either canned (walmart brand due to finances) or I make my own raw. cats never looked or acted better. the prescription foods are all money makers for the vets. go canned lo carb and never look back

33. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are definetly one of 'us' a very caring, loving kitties mama! :razz:
    Now it sounds as if you may not get your insulin right away? there is still something you can do for your cat right away to help lower his bg's and that is using the canned verses the dry kibble. the 7 to 10 carbs or less. a cat's bg's can go down 100 or so points on diet alone.
    also sounds like you have diabetes or pre diabetes so i can say the lancets you use for yourself will be fine for your baby. i prefer to free hand it, it's just easier for me.
    always give lots of love, happy sounds and treats when you test---even if your test does'nt work---your kitty should never feel your frustration...testing is a HAPPY time for your kitty OK?
    we all freaked out at first, you will relax into it and will be amazed at how quickly kitty seems all better.

34. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

You can also get the Lantus SoloStar pens or Levemir FlexPens which are pre-filled with 3ml of the insulin. These also come in a box of 5.

Human diabetics attach a pen needle to the end of the pen and use the push button at the end of the pen to inject the insulin. With diabetic cats, you don't need the pen needle or to use the push button. Just stick the insulin syringe needle right into the rubber stopper and draw up a dose. Don't inject air into the pen because it is not designed to handle air and doing so may cause the plunger inside the pen to not work.

[​IMG]

35. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Yes, all day, I was a bit overwhelmed, came home at lunch because I am totally freaked out - I have a terrible headache from all of this. But, just like with little Murphy's asthma, we will prevail, she's in good care, always has been, and I've never let her need for anything, I'd go without eating before I'd let something happen to my babies. Believe feline asthma inhaled meds are not cheap. So, what about these Lantus pens you are speaking of? I'm so confused, I don't even know where to start.

The greatest disappointment is that vets carry so much weight as far as going back on them ( I feel like suing the guy ) for not paying attention to her lab values. We could have prevented this entire situation, or at least kept her at bay, like myself, with my metabolic syndrome. The numbers were definitely there last August, and 5 pounds is a lot for a little kitty to lose in one year.

As far as diet, all I can say is that I have always been a true believer of Purina Rx diets. Oscar, my siamese, has two bouts of struvite, the second almost killed him, and had I went to work that morning he would have been in renal failure or already gone. It's been about 10 years, and I've stuck with this diet for that long. They can stay on the Purina OM, but again, that's something I am going to speak to my vet about, because I also have to deal with his crystal issue, and Murphy's issue now as well. So, I'll keep the diet to my vet's advice.

Murphy is definitely melancholy tonight. She did eat her wet food though, but is relaxing, snoozing, whatever you want to call it. I wouldn't even know what to look for if something were going to happen. I'm assuming that I should trust her new vet, and not get so freaked out. I think that's part of it - I felt let down that this happened and I couldn't trust the old vet.

What difference will the insulin make once she's on the proper diet and insulin? Will she have more energy?

L

36. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

I see the Lantus will cost about $105 per month. Do you know how much the pre-filled pens are? What is the difference between Lantus and Levemir?

37. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

38. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes she will have more energy and return to her old self in amazingly short time.
    i see you are set on the food but got confused. is murphy getting the canned and the other kitties the dry? you have no idea what a difference the right canned will make for murphy. so much so that often the dose of insulin must be reduced as soon as you start the canned.
    think of human diabetes. do you think you'd have a better chance of getting well on a high carb diet or a low carb diet. same with the cats.
    can't tell you much about levemer, but lantus is a great insulin that will require more of your time testing and such and a very strict schedule. i know about pro zinc and that will allow more freedom...also a good insulin.

39. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Well, I've been gradually switching over to Purina OM wet over the past week or so. I hope that I am able to feed her twice per day, because I work all day, so it would have to go along with her asthma treatments twice per day. 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.

I have heard a lot of good things about grain free diets, Wellness. I am going to speak with my vet about this. It of course is a very slow switch, over the course of 7 days or so, not something you can mess with for a sick kitty - the last thing I need is hepalipidosis for either of them. I am not sure how well Oscie would do on a grain-free diet though with his crystal problem.

This alone is going to require a vet's help making this decision. With Oscie so close to dying with his second struvite attack when he was 2, I certainly don't want to go through that again.

I'm think I'm going to ask for the Lantus pen. I think it will be easier on everyone right now.

Tonight, Murphy is very quiet, has been since this morning. She definitely has developed some neuropathy in her left little paw. I know how horrible neuropathy feels. That stinging, zapping electrical shock pain. I feel so bad for her, I feel terribly guilty. She's never had a good chance at being a fun kitty because of her asthma. Now this. I wish my old vet would have paid attention to her labs.

L

40. pamela and tigger

Please, email Dr. Lisa. Just one consult can help you make the decision and help ease your mind. Here is her email addy for consultations: DrPierson@catinfo.org

Me too. I am sorry and please don't feel guilty, it wasn't your fault. Over the years we have seen a lot of good vets here but a lot that aren't. It gets frustrating.

But you can move on from here and get her the proper care. Send Dr. Lisa an email and tell her that you were referred from this site.

41. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Well, last night I noticed that Murphy wasn't eating as she was, matter of fact, she's almost stopped, normally she will be ravenous, which I guess is the first part of diabetes. I've had 3 water bowls out, she's hardly drank anything, and this a.m., she went to take a poopy and was really straining,and then got right out of the box and started vomiting clear foam. I am taking her first thing morning when the vet opens. It seems to be that we've hit another bump in the road before her treatment ever begins. I hope these are not signs of pancreatitis, but I have a feeling they are. She is very depressed like this a.m., no energy.

Keep all of your fingers crossed. She seems to be getting worse. Lisa and Murphy

42. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

Lisa,
    Please post this on a new topic with a 911 sign on it, so everyone can see it. It sounds like pancreatitis, but I'm not sure. So many moms cats here have had pancreatitis, so hopefully, some members will shed some light. Can you syringe her some water? You can also syringe her some wet food. Please post a new topic. You both are in my prayers. Love,
    Taline

43. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lisa we will be waiting word...we care.

44. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

sounds as though can be constipated. positive vines your way

45. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

Crap, this is awful. My cat had pancreatitis two months ago - lethargic, throwing up, weight loss... two weeks of antibiotics helped a lot. He is now one week into his diabetes diagnosis; the two often go hand-in-hand apparently.

46. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Thank you all for caring so, so much about my little baby Murphy. It was a really good thing I took her in this a.m, because she had a terribly high fever, 107 and was really lethargic, like dead weight. I just knew that when she got out of the litter box, that she was in bad shape. She will be there until Thursday after work. They started her on Lantus right away, and did a curve all day long, and her glucose is down under 180 right now. This vet's office is amazing. They put her in a little solitude room, with soft music and it's warm and she has her little Hello Kitty fleece blanky. She was just laying there, looking depressed, and when I came in, she just perked right up, mommy's here, and purred her little head off. NO KETONES! I'm so happy about that. She did run blood work on the pancreas, which won't be back until tomorrow. Please, please say prayers for her that we aren't looking at this as well.

The vet that told me to go ahead and start the insulin on Saturday is now on my list, obviously, I found another vet in that team, and she is wonderful. She has a wonderful temperment, very sweet, and is going to work with my on the financial end of this. I had thyroid cancer last summer, and was laid off at the same time as my surgery, and spent 8 months recovering before my own doctor would release me to go back to work. There is a God, because I was worried about finding another job, and it just happened like it was supposed to, but she realizes that it's tough for me, how thoughtful. Anyways, Murphy has a long road ahead of her,and this vet I feel absolutely comfortable with. I have had a horrible horrible day, when I took her in, I could not stop the blubbering sobs. I have no children, no husband, Oscie and Murphy are it for me, both 11 years old, and both bottle fed babies. Really, all I've got in life are these little babies and I'd starve to save them. Murphy was smiling tonight when I saw her. I'm glad for that little time in life.

On Lantus, Costco, if you are a member, sells the bottle for $96.00 each.

Hope all is well on everyone's end. Lisa, Murphy and Oscie.

47. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Prayers and Angels with healing green light coming for your Ms Murphy sounds like she is in safe hands Kath

Are you in Canada I have pen & 3 viles of Lantus Maybe I can send them
    to you Kath

48. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

I life in Costa Mesa, CA. I did get a discount at Target tonight which will help tremendously. Poor baby. Please keep uplifting prayers for her.

Thank you.

49. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

hey there, just wanted to say hi from another fellow southern californian. i live out in xxxx but work in OC in xxxx. lori and tom are here too in so cal with us. she lives in laguna actually.

i will keep you and your baby in my thoughts and keep an eye out for an update.

fwiw, Dr. Lisa that several people have mentioned in regards to nutrition is not too far away either, up in Torrance if I remember correctly. my own vet in xxxx uses her for consults on tough kitty cases.

50. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lisa I live so close to you! and i definetly understand how you feel about your kitties. WE ALL feel that way...this is a group of great big crazy cat LOVERS so you are not alone.
    if there is ANYTHING i can do to physically help you get started I would be happy to. if you need help with the pokey or anything. did you already start testing? i forget. I am newbie kit person so thats something i can help you with.
    We're practically neighbors! :mrgreen:
    lori and tom

51. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

btw, i cried so much at my vets when tom was dx'd i was pretty sure they never wanted me to come back...i mean SOBS. little did i know how this whole thing would make tom healthier than ever and give me a whole new crowd of friends.
    boy the way i acted...you would have thought tom was already gone!

52. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

I will go see Murphy this am before I go to work. I am hoping the PLI test for her pancreas comes back normal, so please keep fingers crossed and prayers up to the skies. So far, the good news is that she has no ketones in the urine, and I hope we've caught this soon enough. I could strangle her previous vet!!! If her numbers were there, how on earth could this have been missed, especially since I was so concerned about it. You know, these are my babies, and I was so sobbing. I am not certain I should see her this a.m. because it gets her all worked up, but maybe it would be good for her. Not sure.

I'm exhausted this a.m. from all of this. The other vet that had Murphy's care prior to this new vet in their team was the one that told me that she wasn't sick enough that the insulin couldn't be started until Saturday of this week, "no problem waiting another 7 days, is what she said." So, hopefully, the vet that took over will pay a little more attention to what's going on.

Depressed and scared stiff about what is to come when I bring her home tomorrow evening.

Lisa

53. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

((((Lisa)))

We were all right where you are at the moment, scared stiff, but we made it and so will you. Remember you don't have to rely on just one vet, but you have hundreds and thousands of people all around the world here than can give you advice from years and years of experience of dealing with diabetic kitties. I doubt highly that you will ever run across a problem that there won't be someone here that has been there and done that and came through it to the otherside.

It does get easier as it goes along, but in the beginning it was scary and overwhelming for all of us.

You CAN do this, and we are here to help you.

Mel

54. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

MsMurphy - glad that you found a vet whom you have confidence in. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery...

55. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Hi everyone. Well, I got a call at 7:00 a.m. today from Murphy's vet, and Murphy's PLI was very high, I was very upset when I saw the # come up on my cell phone, but it's something I just have to resolve with my heart, that she is a very sick little girl. Her PLI was over 30, and she is positive for pancreatitis. When I dropped her off yesterday a.m., the vet didn't want to tell me last night, but told me today that she absolutely exploded with the scoots as soon as they got her out of the carrier, it was all over her, and they had to bathe her to clean her up. Which I guess is part of severe pancreatitis. So, she was in the midst of an attack, and I am so glad that I took her in, and recognized that she was very ill. Tonight, they will start the Lantus, and they wil do another curve to see how she responds to the long acting insulin. I guess she'll never be out of the woods, but with her asthma issues, she is coupled now with three situations that will be life long, but she'll get all I can give her, just like the last 11 years. Now what, I don't know. As for diet, she will continue on wet Purina OM for 90 days, then we will decide on diet, but she will handle that end of things. As for Oscie, he's all nervous and wants to know what's going on - you know how Siamese are - he is screaming at the top of his lungs when I get home, wondering where she is, I know he knows something's wrong, and I will probably have to board him a few days until she's feeling a little better. He may be 11, but he acts as if he's 2 and can get a little over zealous with Murphy, when he thinks he is playing, he bites her neck, etc. So, he'll be at least boarded for the day while I'm at work next week. That way, Murphy can rest and get her energy back. I think it sounds like a plan. That's all I have right now. A sick little baby.

56. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Well, I may take a few of you up on the offers. This is way different than feline asthma. They are giving her/me a little toy to play with that will teach me how to use the syringes. I'm very close to Laguna and live about 3 miles from the Newport coast.

Thanks to all - it's easier to bear a burden when others care so much.

Lisa and Murphy

57. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Also, Murphy will be sent home with enzymes to help her digestive track that will give the pancreas a break. Some sort of powder or something, just a pinch in her wet food.

58. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

While my cat is a recently diagnosed diabetic, he was dx'ed with pancreatitis two months ago - PLI was 42. Two weeks of antibiotics (flagyl) cleared up all the symptoms and he dropped to 4.6... He's also 13-y-o, and even at that age he bounced back in two weeks. He's doing great with lantus and Dr. Pierson is really happy with his progress. By the way, my cat's PLI now is just 2.8... I know your cat has a complication with the asthma - but please know that it's all solvable. I understand that you're getting hit left right and center at the moment, but please know that there are brighter days ahead...

59. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

diabetes is not always a life long treatment thing. it could be diet related in a short period of time. it happens every day. cats have been deathly ill, on deaths doorstep (my tom was) and then he was off the juice in only 30 days.
    have hope.
    but her recovery will be amazing once on insulin

60. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Thanks all for your support. It sounds like unless she comes back with a different panel for PLI, that it is in fact a pancreatitis that might not be reversable, but I'm always positive, and it could turn around for the good. She is an amazing little girl, so docile and combated the asthma very well, and has been symptom, cough free for 2 years. But, I know have learned, that after all the research and membership I have had on two feline asthma boards, that even high doses of inhaled steroids can in fact cause decrease in immunity and can cause diabetes. Although they say it doesn't, I've been involved enough over the last 4 years to know, that a steroid is a steroid, not matter how it is given, and unfortunately, with the dosage she was on, it did create problems. There is no one now that could tell me anything different. So, there we have it. Murphy is doing well, last night they had given her pain meds for the pancreatitis, and she wasn't meowing when I saw her. Just purring away, so maybe it was the pain meds. She does, unfortunately have hock in both left hind legs and neuropathy in her right front left paw. I could just wring her old vets neck for not taking her lab panels seriously last year, otherwise this situation might not have gotten to the point it has. Her new vet said that neuropathy develops over time, not overnight. I'm disappointed, but she's still here and I'm grateful.

More update tonight.

61. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Sending Prayers,Healing green light & Angels to help your little lady over this also to your little guy help him to understand and to be gentle Kath

62. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Hello all. Well, I'm sitting on my couch, hugging my little Oscie, he is so lonesome for his sissy. He screamed all night last night, and I got no sleep. I came home tonight, and just like a typical Siamese, he voiced his opinion about the situation, "where's my sissy, where have you been!" He knows something is definitely wrong, and I hope that when I bring her home tomorrow evening, he remains a sweet dude, and doesn't get too playful with her. So, I'm off work tomorrow, and spending 3 entire days with them to be certain that the Lantus is working. Murphy is very very compromised now, with asthma, diabetes and the pancreatitis. I know it's going to be a long road, and I'll do my very best, but wow, this is a horrible thing for a pet to go through, let alone the owner. I believe that Murphy may have lost some of her vision as well, and she is very weak in the legs, as the vet stated the neuropathy is in all fours. She has a shaved neck, shaved paws, everywhere shaved. It's so pathetic I just have a lump in my throat. The diabetes has really affected her coat. My vet said that with the continued insulin, her coat will clear up. I'm devastated - this is such an unfortunate impasse in my little girl's life.

Lisa and Murphy

63. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

STARTING MURPHY'S HOMECOMING THREAD TODAY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.