Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiger and the squid

Tiger and the squid Member

So I took my cat to the vet today. He has been sleeping a lot, wetting himself when he does and he's lost a lot of weight recently. He has also been a little wobbly when he walks. So I bit the bullet and told myself to stop being a bad cat parent and took him to the vet because his comfort is more important than my sadness and worry.

I just got the call back that the results came in and it's not kidney disease like we thought (I have a friend who has a cat who is also very skinny and sometimes has accidents and walks bad and has kidney disease) but rather diabetes.

I'm not sure what to do. The doctor said that given my cat's age, he may not respond as well to the insulin or diet change. Tiger will be 19 in September. I feel like the things I've skimmed so far (honestly it's only been like ten minutes since I got the news) are saying about how it's not a death sentence and that its manageable. But also that is for cats who are diagnosed at a younger age. How much time will it buy him? Will it be worthwhile or will he be miserable? I dont want to make him suffer but I dont want to kill him needlessly. My other cat will be heartbroken without him

I would love some advice.

Attached Files:

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! I don't see why it would not be manageable at any age. Is this his only health problem, at 19? If so, he is doing great. I would definitely go for it if he was mine. Obviously, he is old enough that you realize he will not be around for 10 more years, probably not even 5, but he may have more time left in him than you think! I do not see why he would be 'suffering' or 'miserable' as long as he is getting the treatment he needs.

beggargirl likes this.
  3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB Squid, I'm sorry you are feeling overwhelmed and confused about your kitty's diagnosis. You are going to make the decision whether to treat his diabetes or not, but my 2 cents worth is that FD is manageable and you can learn to take good care of your special old timer. He obviously is special or you would not be here. Definitely take the time to do some reading about this condition, there are a few older cats here being treated successfully and their lives, and the pet parents' lives, are richer for it.
    I'm going to give you a link to the FAQ's forum, there are yellow tagged "stickies", some about Hypos and an Index. Go through the index and learn more, 10 minutes is not enough.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/health-links-faqs-about-feline-diabetes.14/

It is a life changer, but that happens all the time anyway, right? The information is here, the support is here. I suggest you copy and paste your introduction to the Main Forum, more eyes to see and get more responses. Main Forum

4. Tiger and the squid

I just don't want to stab my cat in the neck (I'm being dramatic) for a month and he doesnt know why and it doesnt help in the end. But you're right of course. I know he's had an amazing long life (he once ran away for two months, he's lived in two countries) and even a single extra month would be important to me.

Thank you both for the welcome and the responses. I'm going to spend the night doing some reading and talk to my doctor again in the morning about treatment.

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Yes, that is dramatic. :) The needles are very thin, and you just gently tent the skin - doesn't even have to be 'in the neck' - and give the shot just under the skin. A lot of people do it while their cat is eating, and they hardly notice. I am not sure what you mean by 'and it doesnt help in the end'. Giving him insulin very likely will help lower his glucose levels which, in turn, should improve his symptoms.

Let me say that almost everyone is overwhelmed when they first get the diagnosis, regardless of their cat's age. It all gets easier faster than expected for most.

If you decide to try, you can get lots of support and advice here.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. We are here to help you
    We have many lots of older cats arrive at the forum with diabetes and been treated successfully. Just because he is old doesn't mean he won't respond to the insulin and improve.
    Does your vet have much experience with feline diabetes?
    @Tara & Ivana arrived here when Ivana was either 18 or 19 and she is now off insulin and in remission and leading a happy life.
    I always started to feed my cat as I gave the insulin injection and she didn't even notice.
    In my opinion it is definitely worth treating your cat with insulin.:)
    Ask lots of questions. We will help and support you. I am sure you will find it a very rewarding experience treating your kitty.

FurBabiesMama likes this.
  7. Tiger and the squid

This is, of course, first thing on my list to ask my vet when I see him this morning. If he says he does not, do I just move on? There is an animal hospital that is slightly closer to me that I could ask, plus I am sure I could do a search online (or ask if he has any local recommendations) Or does it not really matter?

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

:)
    You need a vet who is willing to work with you in partnership to get Tiger on the road to recovery. Feline diabetes is a very treatable disease and I get really cross when I hear vets say an older cat may not be worth treating. They respond to the insulin just like younger cats.
    You could ring up the animal hospital and ask if they have treated diabetic cats, are they happy for you to test the blood sugar at home. Here is a link to choosing a suitable vet and the questions to ask. Don't be hesitant in asking them as Tiger is your cat and you want the best for him and you are paying the bills!
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/vet-interview-screening-topics-check-list.156663/

He has lost the weight because his body is unable to absorb all the nutrients in the food because of the sugars in the blood. Once you are treating him and his blood sugars improve, he will start to put on weight again. Give him extra to eat until then. My cat had lost weight too.

With the wobbly legs, that is peripheral neuropathy due to the high blood sugars. That should improve with the reduction in the levels of the blood sugars as well. My Sheba had that badly as well but she returned to normal again.
    A lot of us give Vitamin B12 tablets which help with that. I bought Zobaline for cats which you can buy here
    https://www.ilifelink.com/zobaline-for_diabetic_cats-3_mg_x_60_tablets.html
    Good luck with the vet and please let us know how you get on.
    Here is the link to the main forum page which has many more eyes on it and that is where you can ask lots of questions.:)
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

FurBabiesMama likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.