My sweet kitty has diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mere521, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mere521

Mere521 New Member

Hi. I have a 15 year old cat that was recently diagnosed. Her age concerns me. I want to try insulin and diet change because she deserves that. I just dont know if it will do more harm than good. I dont want her to suffer. I am overwhelmed with all of the info available. I just want to do what I can, but im nervous and scare.

2. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum

My cat was diagnosed at 15 and can honestly say that the change in diet and the insulin turned him from looking and acting like an elderly cat to him acting more like a kitten again.

I know it is overwhelming at first but once you get into the swing of it it soon becomes second nature. The forum members will be able to help and support you every step of the way.

Let's start with the basics. What is your and your cats name? :)

How did she get diagnosed? Does she have any other conditions? It sounds like you have yet to try insulin and so actually you could switch over to low carb wet food first if you wanted to see if that helped her.

Best wishes

Sarah

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

Managing diabetes can be done. Thousands of humans do it for themselves or their children; you can do it for your cat. Cats with diabetes can live a full lifespan when the caretaker uses the available tools, just as in humans.

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Wink was 12 when he was diagnosed and had been abandoned at a cat shelter and was in absolutely horrible shape.

If he can bounce back and run around like a kitten, your cat can get back to their old self too.

We've all been where you are now. We understand how stressful this diagnosis. You have taken the first step when you said your kitty deserves help.

Yes, if not on insulin yet, a change to a low carb canned food like the Fancy Feast pate (classic) style, Friskies pate or Wellness grain free can make a big impact on those BG (blood glucose) numbers.

Please tell us a bit more about your kitty and then pop over to the Feline Health (The Main Forum) to ask any questions you may have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.