Mysterious case of the missing roast beef...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Audrey's Mom, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audrey's Mom

Audrey's Mom Member

My DH is away this week. I had a 2-3 lb. roast I thought I'd pop in the slow cooker yesterday. Our little 16+ year old shih-Tzu has always eaten lean people food, such as chicken and beef, so I thought I'd give her a nice little supper and slice the rest up for myself and hubby once he gets back today. Audrey cat is on Fancy Feast pate 3 times per day.

I pulled the roast out once it was done and fed our little dog. I'd left the rest of the roast on a plate to cool down. I then became very wrapped up with phone calls and an important work project with a deadline. When it came to deal with the roast later, I couldn't find it. What the heck? Had I become so scatter brained I'd already sliced it and put it away? I'd normally put the empty plate in the dishwasher right away, so I shrugged my shoulders wondering why I hadn't done that and just put the plate in the dishwasher. Sometimes, I can be so freakily organized, I surprise myself! Hmm, I must have put the meat in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer. Off to bed I trotted. All I knew is that it wasn't on the counter anymore.

I woke up early this morning to find Audrey cat hunched over something that resembled something about the size of a large muffin or something and she is looking up at me in the half dark room with unmistaken guilty eyes. I turned on the light to see what this lump of something was. There was the roast beef. Or what was left of it. I assume she had been gnawing on this thing all through the night. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, so I stayed neutral, picked it up and said "WHAT are you doing?!!" She ran off hiding. I don't know how much she ate, but it was a lot, as there wasn't much of it left.

I am waiting for the next jaunt to the U.S. to grab a Walmart ReLion blood glucose meter. BG Meters are ridiculously priced here and we go from time to time for groceries. I hope this won't be a major cause of concern for Audrey's health. Good gracious. She's obviously still very hungry, as this is out of character for her. How did I not notice a 9 lb. cat stealing a huge roast? Yikes. o_O

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Aw, bless!

Hope Audrey's OK after her monster feed. At least it was low carb. :)

3. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

So funny, she must have got on the counter and dragged it off to save it for later.:woot: I hope she is okay today. The dog might have eaten some of it as well since it was on the ground. so it might not be as bad as it seems.

Terri

Audrey's Mom likes this.
  4. Audrey's Mom

Audrey's Mom Member

Thanks for the well wishes for Miss Piggy, the thief. Darn it all. That roast beef looked and smelled delicious before it was decimated. It's weird that I didn't hear the thud of it hitting the floor, and I wonder how she can move something that's 1/3rd of her body weight. I suspect she eventually pushed it into the main floor laundry room off the kitchen to gnaw in peace and quiet. I kind of wondered where she was in the middle of the night not sleeping with me. Our wonderful little dog is very old at almost 16 1/2 years of age and her appetite is just not what it used to be, not to mention her teeth would definitely not handle chewing on a big lump of beef, so I fear it's all Audrey. Lol. There are still questions that may always remain a mystery. :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    Meya14 and Critter Mom like this.
  5. terri1962

You have seen the video`s of the leopards carrying a kill clear up into a tree. Maybe she carried it into the other room after she knocked it on to the floor.
    My cats have never done anything like that but Momma of Muse could who has many cats could tell you some stories about her cats.:)

Terri

Audrey's Mom and Critter Mom like this.
  6. Audrey's Mom

Audrey's Mom Member

Thanks, Terri. :cat: I'm off to wash my floors now. I now see roast beef broth debris/evidence on the darker floors in my north facing kitchen, hallway and laundry room where the light has become brighter on this dull and cloudy day. Audrey, Audrey, Audrey. I can't be mad at her for long. Of course, she's exhausted right now. It's been a long night for her. :eek:

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

:nailbiting::cat::nailbiting: Very funny!!

Audrey's Mom likes this.
  8. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

roflmao! That sounds so much like something one of mine would do...lol

Never had one steal a whole roast but I do have a Hemmingway that has thumbs and knows how to use them. So far he has managed to open every door including the microwave oven's which is why all the doors to the outside must remain locked even when we are home. Then there is one of my sugars Cassanova that is such a carb-a-holic that he has pulled out the crumb tray on the toaster, stolen entire loaves of bread just to eat the crusts off every single slice, and burned his front paws trying to steal the pasta out of a pot of spaghetti while it was still cooking on a hot stove. :arghh:

Mel and The Fur Gang

Critter Mom and Audrey's Mom like this.
  9. Audrey's Mom

Audrey's Mom Member

Haha! Momma of Muse. You made my day. Gotta run... Audrey is eyeing up my mac and cheese......

10. kallima_butterfly

kallima_butterfly Member

I live in Alberta and got my BG meter free with strip as at Wal-Mart...pharmacist said that's normal everywhere. Have you asked you nearest Wal-Mart? I ended up getting the Bayer Contour Next.

Audrey's Mom likes this.
  11. terri1962

I told my friend Debbie about what Audrey did over lunch today. We were in the middle of lunch laughing so hard about it. She has cats as well. I hope you got the mess on the floor cleaned up.:)

Terri

Audrey's Mom likes this.
  12. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for sharing Audrey's "roast beef kidnapping" adventures with us. Makes us laugh which is good for the soul.:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

Critter Mom and Audrey's Mom like this.
  13. Audrey's Mom

Audrey's Mom Member

My only regret was not having my iPhone right there to get a picture of those eyes, which were of course as big as saucers when she got busted while closely guarding her theft. Haha!

14. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Speaking of thumbcats ...

15. jadebelle

jadebelle New Member

Hi. I'm new and saw you post. i thought my boy was the only food thief!
    It made me think of the time my boy dragged a whole roast chicken home and ate nearly all of it, bones, stuffing and all. I thought I would have to take him to the vet but after digesting it like a great big python he seemed ok. I was out at the time any only saw the remains. My neighbour saw him drag it up the driveway but couldn't get it off him. Still have no idea who the chicken belonged too but there were no angry letters or anything so it will remain a mystery on both sides.
    Jadebelle

16. terri1962

Jadabelle,

A whole roast chicken? I wonder if he took off someones grill? :woot::woot: I would have loved to seen a picture of that.

Terri

17. jadebelle

jadebelle New Member

Yep, a whole one. It's still a running joke with my nieghbours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.