Nam-kha PMPS 432 +1 400 +3 180

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cyndy, Apr 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyndy

Cyndy Member

Hello everyone,

I think I need some help understanding what's happening with Nam-kha. At the end of March (around March 29th-30th), we almost lost her because of hypoglycemia. At that time, she was getting 2.5 units of Lantus twice a day. After three days at the clinic, she came back home and our vet asked us to lower her insulin to 1.5 units and to monitor her blood sugar.

If you look at her spread sheet, you'll notice that it didn't go well. So, we lowered again her insulin to 0.5 units.

Now, she's really high in the morning and in the evening, but as soon as I give her the shot, she's getting low and then high again the next day. Is that normal ?

She's eating dry food (DM), about a small handful twice a day + some grain free wet food. Since Thursday, I'm feeding her first the wet food, then she can have some dry food for the day and at night time. Before Thursday, I was giving her DM wet food instead of the grain free wet food, that's the only change I made regarding her food.

I don't know what to do.. Should I stick to DM food only? Should I increase her insulin?

I hope you can help me :)

Thanks,

Cyndy

2. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Cyndy, welcome to the L&L forum! You'll find good advice here for dosing Lantus for Nam-kha.

One thing you might want to do is add information on the food changes you have done to the comments section of the spreadsheet. This allows people who are discovering your spreadsheet to interpret what they are seeing more accurately. You might also want to add to the signature that she has already had two symptomatic hypos.

For me, looking at the blue values 13th night, and considering that PMPS and +1 the night of the 12th were yellow (barely, for +1!) I think it very likely that she went low during that evening and that the black AMPS is a bounce, that she has started breaking on the night of the 13th. If I remember correctly you did a rather dramatic food change on the 12th -- can you remind us exactly when and what?

So I'd say she's bouncing. Now, maybe she needs a little more insulin to keep her from bouncing to the moon like that, but given you're considering a food change towards lower carbs AND her history of symptomatic hypos, I'd be careful.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You might want to try to get the dry DM out of her diet completely. When you mix a high carb dry food and a low carb wet one, it can really make things harder.

Unless you sit and watch her all the time, you don't know which one she's eating and that can make a big difference in the numbers you get.

The DM canned food does not have anything special. As long as you feed a low carb canned food, that's what's important.

I would go ahead and give her a little low carb canned food now and see if you can slow down how quickly she is dropping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.