Natural remedies for UTIs and bladder inflammation?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Melissa and Rascal, Feb 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melissa and Rascal

Melissa and Rascal Member

Rascal (17) has a history of FLUTD that goes way back before she was diagnosed with diabetes. At that time she had severe discomfort, frequent urinating small amounts and blood in her urine. However, urine cultures were always negative back then. It was just thought to be an inflammatory condition.

Now that she is diabetic the vet has been concerned about UTIs and she has been treated a couple times for suspected UTI with Zeniquin. Urine culture and sensitivity has been inconclusive though and she was not showing any visible signs of UTI. The vet said they are sometimes not obvious and the cat just doesn't feel well overall. So it may or may not be that she is actually having infections, but her bladder has looked inflamed on ultrasound.

Since we cannot confirm that she is getting true infections, but since diabetic cats are prone to UTIs and it's possible that "inconclusives" don't necessarily mean "negatives," I want to address the possibility of chronic UTIs but ideally not with repeated rounds of antibiotics. She doesn't feel well on them.

Even if she is not getting infections, something is irritating her bladder as we have seen with the thickened inflamed bladder wall, so she would still need something for this.

Here is what I've found and would appreciate input on these options if anyone has experience:
    D-mannose works very well for many human UTIs. I've used it myself - totally knocks them out for me! Several pet health forums recommend D-mannose (particularly NOW brand powder) to treat UTIs in cats. Corn silk tea is supposed to calm bladder inflammation. Dr. Mercola has a product for bladder health in cats and dogs now too. It contains d-mannose and corn silk and also MSM, glucosamine, and some other natural ingredients. It also contains cranberry, though. I don't know if this is ok, but I generally trust his products. I've just never used any of these things yet for Rascal and would like some advice on what I should try.

Has anyone here used d-mannose or this product from Dr. Mercola or anything else to combat possible chronic UTIs or FLUTD? Let me know what has worked for you. Thank you! >^^<
    Melissa and Rascal

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

From what I have read, d-mannose help prevents bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall. It do not "kill" bacteria like an antibiotic. D-mannose seems to act as a preventative med vice a cure.

3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I've heard that D-Mannose works only for e-coli bacteria (which is most common form).

As a side note, I'd love to hear anything you find that is useful! Tigress has been having problems with what is probably cystitis. Trying to figure out how to best treat and help her out. :)

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

5. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I have used D Mannose for years on myself and kittys (my own and at the shelter )
    I have found it to be a great help-
    IF you have a serious already festering infection I would use a AB and incorporate D-Mannose..... continue with D-Mannose for a while until your system is stronger-there are no side effects. We routinely use it with many cats in the water daily who had chronic UTI or FUS
    I DO NOT use the one with cranberry... like putting gas on a fire. (not to mention sugar)
    It has worked wonders for me and my cats-
    The only issue with cats is they have to drink enough to flush it out -- for us I give fluids SQ so not a issue but if you don't you will need to try to find a way to get more water in them to flush it out.
    It does not kill the bacteria is flushes--this is why is you have a real infection I personally do a round of AB and begin D Mannose toward the end of the round of AB and stick with it for a while then a few times a week.... the key is to catch it ASAP-then be dose accordingly.

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Sharon!

I didn't see that post. Not sure why...but somehow I completely missed it! I've heard of glucosamine supplements. Do you happen to know which one your friend used? I need to do some research on that and see. As long as it doesn't affect pH I can't really see the harm.

Food changes cause problems over here, so I may look into that...but it will take some time!

Thanks for the tips!

7. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

She may have told me which one, but I don't remember. I'll try to contact her next week-she's out of town for the weekend. She did send me this link to the article where she got the ideas
    http://healthypets.mercola.com/site.../idiopathic-chronic-cystitis-in-pet-cats.aspx

8. LaraB

LaraB Member

One of our vets had us give one of our cats who had frequent UTI's Cosequin. It did seem to help. I think it lessons any inflation that might be involved.

9. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Is the glucosamine a supplement you add to their food?

10. Larry and Kitties

Yes

11. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

Where do you get it and how much glucosamine do you give your cat.? The linked article mentioned adequan injected once a month. Wonder how much to give and where to find injectable adequan?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    Reason for edit: more info asked
  12. Larry and Kitties

13. LaraB

LaraB Member

Another good place is Omaha Vaccine. That's usually where I ordered Cosequin.

14. Melissa and Rascal

Melissa and Rascal Member

Thanks for all your input. I've still been dealing with this issue and can't get to the bottom of it. Going to start a new post with updates and include the link to this condo. M & R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.