need advice about dosing

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by PatJ, Mar 4, 2019.

1. PatJ

PatJ Member

Hello, My cat's numbers have gone from promising to high again and I wonder if anyone with an expert eye could take a look at his spreadsheet and tell me what dose I should be giving him now. I've been lowering his dose so much because he kept going to hypo numbers, so I kept giving him less insulin every time, but now his numbers are too high for hypo numbers and they don't seem to be going any lower like they did before. I've kept him at the same dose for a few days, then raised it to 1.25 and I know I've got to keep going higher but I'm worried about doing it too soon because he's really not good on higher doses of insulin. He's really lethargic and just not the same cat, so I don't want to go too high too quickly (I know we shouldn't anyway), but I wonder if anyone could tell me if it's safe to give such a low dose on high BG numbers? If I increase it by 0.25 every few days would that be all right or should he be having more? Would be grateful for any advice. Thank you.

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It is odd...he got some really good numbers every now and then, but yes he's been in those high numbers now for a good bit. From what I see, William appears to get a fairly fast reaction to a dose change. Most times, he dips lower (not always too low just lower) in the first cycle or 3. So I think you could safely change doses every few days, yes. Many people like to change after every 4 cycles or so so they can always increase in the daytime. That might be good since you can always keep an eye on things that way and the big dose reaction should be over, hopefully. As for if it's safe to give low insulin on high BG, it's not IDEAL, but it's far safer than increasing too fast or randomly in reaction. You want to work your way up steadily. Are you testing for ketones? That would be a good idea while in high numbers.

PatJ likes this.
  3. PatJ

PatJ Member

Thanks very much for replying and I'll keep increasing slowly. I do test for ketones and there's no sign of any but I haven't done it for

4. PatJ

PatJ Member

So sorry for half a message, the mouse stopped clicking for some reason and I couldn't write anything. Just to say thanks again for the reply and I've been testing for ketones and he's had no sign of them, but that was a week ago so I'll do it today as soon as he goes in the litter tray!! Thanks Rachel.

Djamila and Rachel like this.