? Need Advice after 38 +5

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jenna Josie, Aug 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

At +9: cross-posted to Main Forum.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/need-advice-still-dropping-at-9-38-at-5.201362/

This last hour has been no fun at all: asymtomatic hypo when we tested at +5 and she scarfed and barfed her steering food/honey drops! With subsequent steering food (gravy from HC food, then about 1/4 can of LC, all of which she kept down), she is at 90 at what is essentially +6, so I'm hopeful she is out of the woods. We will test again (without feeding) an hour from the last test (90); that'll be in about 40 minutes from this post.

It feels wrong to say it, but "luckily" there have been a couple of cats in hypo-number range in the last couple of days, so how to take action was at the top of our minds. Still I did *not* expect the vomiting, which was very stressful.

She is right now giving herself her third or maybe her fourth bath since squeezing out the gravy -- which is MESSY! -- and she's vocalizing her displeasure that I'm making her sit in the bathroom (a.k.a. Diabetes Treatment Center) with me.

BTW, I shot on 179 because we did on 8/16, and it seemed okay during the cycle; and also 1.75 (her dose at the time) on 147 on 8/9. Now I'm thinking she went low without us knowing on those days, and the subsequent pink PS and then multiple cycles of mid-range yellows were a bounce + bounce-clearing cycles. :arghh: :banghead:

Two questions
    First: Assuming she is indeed out of the woods, what do we do for PM shot? Obviously, that will depend on her number, but I have also read that kitties are particularly sensitive to insulin after they go too low, and I want to take that into account. I guess this question applies to tomorrow's AM shot, too, but I can't think about that until we get the next BG and then this evening's data.

Second: OF COURSE we have to board her for about 50 hours beginning tomorrow morning! (She'll get her shot before I take her to the vet for boarding. I am taking her there specifically so that she can get her regular doses as we couldn't find an insulin-skilled petsitter.) This is a feline-only vet, and so I'm expecting they will give her PS tests, but do I tell them to lower the dose? Do I just let them make that call? I am just worried b/c they are running a business and have lots of kitties to look after and won't be there during the night, and while I expect them to be knowledgable and competent, I don't expect them to care for her at the level that we do . . . though I'm feeling pretty darn careless right now. :(:(:(

EDIT: Just tested 63 after an hour (she was 90 an hour ago), but we are at +7 now from this morning's shot. Will test again in an hour.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  2. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

@Djamila @Rachel @Kris & Teasel @FurBabiesMama

Josie finally came back up (see Main Forum cross-post) and is at 271. It's her shot time right now.

I don't know what, if anything, to shoot? (Sorry to tag everyone!) Certainly not 2 again, but anything after such an awful afternoon and such a time coming back up? Token dose of .5? She is definitely feeling punky, like she's very, very tired.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hey! So this is late May be drop back to 1.75 tonight or 1.5 if that makes you nervous? Reducing due to that green is good but she will probably stay higher tonight from a bounce.

Djamila likes this.
  4. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

awesome timing -- have .5 units drawn in my hand! Will draw another (wimpy side!)

THANK YOU!!!

Rachel likes this.
  5. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

I went with 1.25 bc we are late shooting (we've been shifting her forward to get on vet/board schedule, and now we're past it! Oh, well!).

She doesn't seem so . . . heavy? does that make sense? she was acting like she was "feeling gravity's pull," to quote Michael Stipe. :)

Ate well.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Oops, I should have looked here before my big long post on your other thread. :)

7. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Ha! And I was posting in response there while you were posting here. So I kind of botched that by starting a new thread, but I thought that that one was more "theoretical"/things to consider going forward vs. this one being a more "need help now" and so split them. (Still figuring out board practices . . . )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.