? NEED ADVICE ASAP 3/14/16 Smokey--AMPS 329; +4=425; PMPS 505;455

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Olive & Paula, Mar 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope you can find a balance between the meds and the insulin. :bighug:

3. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Sending feel better vines for Smokey. Hope the meds help and he starts coming back down.:bighug::bighug:

4. Olive & Paula

I called the ER vet to see if results are in. The Dr. is off today and now have to wait another day.

5. granadilla

granadilla Well-Known Member

Ugh that the dr is off today. Is he eating today? Right now you're giving him metro, cerenia and bupe, is that correct? I wonder if any of these can mess with BG. Or if it's just that if he doesn't feel good, his BG is going up. Paws crossed you get some answers tomorrow.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Lots of feel better vines going out for Smokey.:bighug:

What meds is Smokey getting and what format are they in? You might want to list when he starts medicines in the Remarks section of the SS. Buprenorphine shouldn't impact BG's - Neko's been getting it over two years for her arthritis, and we get it compounded. Cerenia doesn't impact BG's either, either shot or pill format. I've also given metronazodile in pill format with no change in BG. It is foul tasting as a liquid, unless you get it compounded which might have a sugar in it.

7. Olive & Paula

I will get them in there tonight hopefully.

I just lost my whole response.

He is on cerenia 4mg 4 days on couple days off. His first round was fine. Was told not give because of US. Day of Us he was dry heaving. So I started it again for 4 more days. Then stopped but hours later it was clear he needed it.

Metronidazole suspension BID until further notice.

Buprenorphine 8-12 hrs PRN. He had it for 3 days then I held to see what happens. 24 hrs without then it was clear he still needed it. Started again 1/2 dose because I won't have enough until Drs are back. Other Dr won't prescribe.

Trespassers ear drops BID until ears are clear.

Marbofloxacin pills daily until further notice. Was only given 7 pills. It might be continued or change depending on UA culture.

This is his 3 cycle back on 2u. I hope it kicks in my morning if not we increase. His BS is climbing. We were just starting to come down before all this.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  8. carfurby (GA)

How much longer does he have to be on the Tresaderm? I wonder if that is making his BG high.

9. Olive & Paula

2 more days or until clear. One is still pretty infected. The other ear will be okay to stop in the 2 days.

10. carfurby (GA)

The tresaderm may not be what's making his numbers higher, but it will be interesting to see if they come down some once he's done.

11. carfurby (GA)

You may need to increase his dose while he's on the meds to keep his BG from being so high. It's hard to know which med may be causing it. Is Marbofloxacin an antibiotic?

12. Olive & Paula

Do I go ahead and increase now? He hasn't been this high in a very long time. As far as I know he has never had ketones. His appetite isn't the best but he's eating. He is being treated for possible infection gi / kidney infection but culture isn't back yet.

13. Olive & Paula

Yes it is. I think it's the one for kidney.

14. carfurby (GA)

If it was me, I'd increase now. You'll just need to watch when he's done with the Tresaderm and Marbofloxacin that his numbers may come back down. As much as you test, you should be fine to catch it when they do.

15. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

16. Olive & Paula

TY.

17. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'm glad you increased Paula. :bighug:

Olive & Paula likes this.
  18. Olive & Paula

Glad I made the right choice.

19. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Please monitor for ketones. You don't want them sneaking up on you.

Sending speedy recovery vines Smokeys way.

20. Olive & Paula

We are good. Actually just got urine test back although now it's a week old. It was negative. We now know he has pancreatitis and no IBD. Got the news this morning.

21. Olive & Paula

I tried picking up strips today. The 2 places I went didn't have them. Will try others tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.