Need advice for upcoming vet visit

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ZulusMom (GA), Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZulusMom (GA)

ZulusMom (GA) Member

Zulu went in for a dental extraction on 8/17. His blood work at the time showed that he was slightly anemic so the vet ran it again a few weeks later and called us with the results last Monday. His red blood cell count was back to normal but his white blood cell count, specifically neutraphils, was elevated. She told us to watch for any symptoms and bring him back in a few weeks (10/15) or sooner if needed for a full progress exam. Well... I started noticing that he wasn't eating as much and was starting to act a bit more reclusive (not completely, though - still affectionate, but a bit skittish). So I had my husband bring him back in last Friday since I was out of town.

Of course my husband only has the vet do a physical exam and skipped all of the bloodwork and additional tests. The physical exam showed nothing wrong. I now have a sheet full of possible additional tests ranging from a re-run of the CBC panel to urinalysis to radiographs and ultrasound. I really think there is something wrong. Even though his BGs are still in remission range (he checked in at 101 last night, which is where he seems to like to hang out, plus his fructosamine was perfect when checked last month), he seems to have lost a little weight and is drinking more.

I'm at a loss at what to do. My husband didn't ask the vet any questions, which is frustrating, but then again, he doesn't know Zulu like I do. Do I just have them run everything and see what sticks? We're not exactly made of money, but it doesn't seem like they know what they're looking for...

2. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Hi there Zulus mom, usually the white count signifies infection. If it was just slightly raised, I’ve heard that stress can do that. Ask them to be sure & take his temp. Was he put on any antibiotics prior or after the dental? I would def have them check the teeth again to see if that is the problem. You never know when a second round is needed even if he was on them for the procedure. Good luck on your appt. & I hope they find the problem!

beggargirl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.