? Need Advice: insulin dilema tomw

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tucker&Me, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

@Sue and Oliver (GA) @BJM @Anyone
    I dose at Noon. Adjusting 30 mins ahead today's cycle at 11:30 as I will be trying to change dose times slowly. But. Tomorrow (Thurs) is only day of week I must be gone 10-3.
    What could I possibly do?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
    Reason for edit: replaced GA prefix with a ? mark.
  2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Normally with N you could safely dose every 8 hours, because cats on it usually are high again by then. But Tucker is having longish cycles and it's early in the dance, so I would be nervous about doing that. So tonight, you could move it back to 11, right? Then tomorrow, a dose at ten would be pushing it back an hour, which should be safe. I'd just test twice, within 20 minutes or so, to be sure he was definitely rising, not falling. That's not likely since his pattern so far has to be to surf along through +7-9 and then rise. If you want to be super cautious, reduce the dose back to one unit?

Another one of the things we hide on the forum. GA means gone ahead or that the kitty has died. Nif you want to draw attention to a question, use the question mark icon.

3. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

Omg.Another hole in dike I've not got to: glossary. I sincerely thought GA was General Admin or at very least, Guidance &Advice. I AM SORRY.
    Thank you for being so kind, I am mortified.
    The advice you just gave is such a relief. I will follow to the letter & please know I appreciate your consideration here and your concern for my little one. I am making every change & adjustment possible to my own life & this household to adhere to whatever is rightly suggested. I hope my reliance here is not a burden. I am still in shock at the amount of caring others have here for perfect strangers. Sorry to be off topic

4. jane and stewey

jane and stewey Member

Noon is an unusual time of day for administering insulin. How often are medicating the cat? Daily..twice daily... perhaps revamping your schedule for medicating the cat might be in order. Skipping doses, constantly changes dose time, etc. can lead to very unstable sugar results. Being home for an hour or so after administering insulin also allows you to observe his response to the medication. You'll rest much better knowing that he is well. Good luck from jane and stewey

Tucker&Me likes this.
  5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

@Tucker&Me ...No worries!! That's what we're all here for...to help each other learn how to do the best version of the sugardance we can do!

To remove the GA, just go back to your first post and over to the right of the subject line look for "Thread Tools" and a drop down arrow...click there and you can "edit" your subject line and just choose either the ? (if you still have a question) or "No prefix" to remove the GA

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh, no, don't be mortified. You have a huge learning curve between the diabetes and the forum - and then well, your life. Everyone who replies to your post is paying it forward for help they received. It's the only way this forum can work. We're a family and we care for each other.

And someday soon, you'll reply on a new poster's thread and let them know that it is overwhelming but you did it, and so can they.

Don't lose track of how much you have already learned. A week ago you didn't even know a cat's ear could be tested for glucose levels, or that dry food has too many carbs. You've come a long way. Take time to give yourself a pat on the back (and a nap)

7. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

Yes. I am planning to get it on a better schedule. I'm have a very erratic work scheduled & *trying* to adjust this as well. There was good reason for it beginning at Noon when I began. Thanks ever so much for your concern & taking time to reply to us. We appreciate every effort made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.