Need advice, kitten with burned paw pad!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Debra & CB (GA) & Gang, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debra & CB (GA) & Gang

Debra & CB (GA) & Gang Member

Our Autumn jumped up onto our glass top stove last night after we'd cooked dinner, and she burned 3 paw pads on her right front foot! I didn't put anything on her pads because I know how kitties will lick ointment and such off, so instead I just ran cool water and put her foot under that for a little bit. She seemed fine afterwards, no limping or favoring her foot, in fact she ran around playing just like normal. She seemed fine this morning, and when I checked it it looked ok. This evening when I got home from work, Autumn is limping, and when she sits she holds that foot off the floor. I see now that the bigger middle pad has blistered and peeled the outer skin off! Since it's after hours, I called my vet's emergency number, and talked to one of the vet techs. She called my vet and told them what has happened, and then the vet tech called me back with what my vet said. They want me to put a silver something or other ointment on it, and wrap with gauze to keep it clean. Ummm, yeah, right! I can get the ointment on, but Autumn won't let me wrap her paw. When I've managed to get it wrapped within a split second she's got the wrap right back off! I can't just apply the ointment without wrapping it, because then she promptly licks the ointment off. Why, oh why, does this sort of stuff happen either after hours or on weekends? I'm going to have to figure out how to get that gauze pad on her foot and wrapped somehow, or I'll end up having to take her in to my vet as an emergency!
    :sad:

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

patticass had this very thing happen with one of her babies. she doesn't appear to be online though at the moment from what i can tell but maybe send her a PM just in case?

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

If it is only blister and not charred, then what the vet recommended seems to be right. You want to keep it clean, from being licked and add some padding. Did the vet say how often you should change the bandage.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

it's the infection that would be a problem.. the blisters will heal themselves. the use of her kitty litter etc... i wonder if you could'nt put one of those neck thingy's on her after using an ointment. and by all means, nothing with aloe! could you clean her paws with anti infection cream and soapy water frequently? using cool soothing water.

5. Debra & CB (GA) & Gang

Debra & CB (GA) & Gang Member

There aren't any blisters, just an area where the outside skin has sloughed off. I cleaned it and applied the silver something or other ointment I got at CVS (in fact I couldn't find it there, so I asked the pharmacist and they found it for me), then I taped a little gauze pad to the underside of her paw. I then wrapped her foot with a piece of gauze roll, then wrapped that in something similar to vet wrap. Lasted about 15 minutes....she removed it. I don't have anything that I can put on her to prevent her from removing the wrapping. Plus, now she's upset with me and won't let me get near her....she takes off running. Oh well, I guess all I can do now is to hope it'll heal on it's own without further treatment. I'll try to keep an eye on it, at the first sign of it getting worse I'll have to call my vet and possibly have her hospitalized for treatment. :^( Poor little Autumn!

6. Patticass & Tyler (GA)

Patticass & Tyler (GA) Member

Oh boy, my Tyler burned his feet the same way. I took him to the vet because he was in pain and it blistered pretty quickly. They basically wrapped his feet in guaze and then vet wrap. He did chew at those so I had to put bitter apple type stuff on the wrap so he wouldn't chew it. He also was on buprinex because he was in quite a bit of pain. The feet stayed wrapped for a week - a very LONG week.

If you can't get the feet to stay wrapped you will probably want to consider taking her in tomorrow for them to wrap them more securely. Hope she feels better soon.

Patti

7. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I would think litter would be the biggest problem. Could you substitute something like shredded newspapers until it's healed? Or even pee pads?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.