? Need advice on Amoxicillin

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Summers Mom, Mar 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summers Mom

Summers Mom Member

Hi i know amoxicillin has sugar in it and it can make the bg go higher but is it safe to give while on lantus?? Summer has several places on her skin that are open wounds and one is smelly like it is infection going on and she is feeling under the weather today and i suspect the infection is the reason. Can she have amoxicillin? I think i have clavamox too. i have to figure out how much to give also. Any ideas on that? Thank you all

2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

The liquid Amoxicillin could have sugar in it, but I am not positive. The pills would be a safe bet. Clavamox pills should be free of sugar, but do you have enough for a full round? If she hasn't seen the vet all ready, with what you are describing I feel needs a vet's attention and then you would could ask about the sugar content of anything antibiotic RX. You need to make sure she is getting a skin infection targeted AB .

Hope she is feeling better ASAP.

Summers Mom likes this.
  3. Summers Mom

Summers Mom Member

Well there is no way i can talk to a vet until Monday. I do know the vet has prescribed the amoxicillin and or clavamox for abcesses so it for sure should be ok for a skin infection. Just was hoping someone here has had experience with using antibiotics with a diabetic kitty.

4. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I think the first priority in this situation would be getting the infection under control. I don't know which if any antibiotics have sugar in them, but you can always dose insulin around that. But you do have to be sure of the dosage, etc., so I hope you can either find a vet to talk to you (can you call an ER vet? I don't know if they'd give that info over the phone without seeing her, though) or else someone here has some insights.

Poor Summer! Hope this clears up asap!

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

ABs can be hard on gut flora. Do you have a probiotic to give Summer to help her out while on the AB? I wouldn't worry about any sugar, but as Nan says, you can dose around it. Lots of people here give ABs to their diabetics. Not all ABs have sugar in them.

6. Summers Mom

Summers Mom Member

Thank you. I found my old notes on the dose. It is 1 ml 2 x daily. So I am going to go ahead and give it to her. There is no vets open till Monday and even if they were, they know absolutely nothing about feline diabetes around here and they are not even concerned enough to try. I am on my own here other than you guys helping me.

7. Summers Mom

Summers Mom Member

I don't have any probiotics but I could run get one if you or someone can recommend a good one.

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

In Canada I get the Natural Factors Ultimate Protec. I have heard of people in the US using Renew Ultimate Flora 15b CFU. If you search here for recommended probiotics you might find a few others.

Summers Mom likes this.
  9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I use ReNew Ultra. You give 1/4 of a capsule twice daily. I've found it at Whole Foods. I believe that GNC may carry it aw well. If there are any health food stores in your area, they may stock it, as well.

Summers Mom likes this.
  10. Summers Mom

Summers Mom Member

What strength do you use? How many billions? It is called Renew ultra and is it a yellow box?

11. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

How old is the liquid amox? Once the powder is reconstituted, it only has a fridge life of 14 days, tops.

12. Summers Mom

Summers Mom Member

It is not mixed. I always keep some on hand here because I have 27 rescues. I have 2 bottles new.

13. Summers Mom

Summers Mom Member

Is this it? Does it matter about the billions? More or less?

Attached Files:

14. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

That's the one Marje recommended to me, and it's what I give my kittens.

Summers Mom likes this.
  15. rawia

rawia Member

My vet gave this antibiotics to Meme after her tooth extraction and it did not affect her BG but it was strong for her, she starts vomiting after 3 days so i stopped using it.

Summers Mom likes this.
  16. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Sorry. I got lost with work stuff.

Yes -- that's the one I use. Marje and I use the same probiotic. It's a good all around probiotic. There's a different one if your cat is having major diarrhea but you can use both. (It's also good for humans!)

17. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Just a note, not sure it's clear given the questions: clavamox IS amoxycillin (+ clavulanic acid).

18. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

The carbs in 1 ml of compounded meds is minimal. 17g of carbs in a tablespoon (14.787 milliliters) of karo syrup. There are about 4 calories in a gram of carbs.
    So 4*17/14.787=4.6 cal in a ml of karo syrup. I'm sure the liquid isn't as sweet as karo syrup.

19. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

What? Oh no. Why don't the compounding pharmacies put that on the bottle? Is that true for everything or just amoxicillin?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.