Need advice on dosing for prozinc insulin

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Ickes, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Ickes

Ickes Member

My cat Noah has been diabetic for a year now. We almost lost him due to pancreatitis in December. Since he has come home I have had a terrible time with regulating him. He goes from highs mostly in the 300’s ( I have seen a couple 400) on the 4 units the vet prescribed but then he goes down to 68 or today 154. 154 is a great number but he seems to drop some days at time of insulin. Should I give him normal dose if it is that low at insulin time? I think he might be bouncing. Dropped him to 3 1/2 but didn’t do his shot yet because it was 154. He ate but some days it takes 2 to 3 hours to come up and even had dropped so makes me nervous. Anyone else see this? Wait and retest after an hour and as soon as it goes up to 200 or 250 I give insulin with a little chicken if not his usual feeding time. I don’t want to mess him up. Am I being too nervous or would you give insulin at 100 to 150 at shot time? He is doing great otherwise and no issues with his ibd.

2. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

I would not give 4 units if he is in the 100s. As for the rest I do not feel comfortable advising. But 4u at low ps is scary. Sounds Like a dose reduction is needed but without mid day tests it’s tough to say how much. The dose should be determined by how low he goes at nadir which is his lowest point and with only PS numbers we can’t tell. The dose should not be determined by Ps numbers. If he is reading in the 100s at shot time he may have gone lower during the Cycle which would warrant a reduction.

Rachel and Djamila like this.
  3. Ickes

Ickes Member

I need to update his spreadsheet with the past couple days but I did check him last night at 4 hours in and his sugar was 274... will check him in the middle of the cycle but he seems to get lower at the end. I am going to try 3 and then work my way back up if he needs it. He bounces a lot so it’s hard. He seems to do just as well on a lower dose sometimes. It’s hard be cause he isn’t consistent. Will run high a couple days then go really low.