Need Assitance- Mid Day 6 Counts

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JessieV, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JessieV

JessieV Member

Ignore- note- needed help- got it on the FB site. 68 is the magic number for action needed. I will also retest in an hour. Thanks. Need assistance- I've only been giving insulin a few weeks, so new to testing. My vet wants me to test mid shot (6 hrs in) and then she says if I want to test before shots that's fine but she wants a record n 6 hrs after the shot. So my mid shots have been 440, 460, 372, 262 and today 116 and it was so low 9to me) I redid it 10 minutes later and it was 103. (I am only getting tiny drops of blood if that makes a difference.). I will test before his 6:30 p.m. shot but do I need to be concerned NOW? She told me if it gets into the 70's give Karo syrup. Th cat is a diabetic, IBD, and asthmatic. I just brought him back from 8 days at the vets on Monday to regulate his intestinal stuff. He's on non low card Royal Canin Gastro high energy. The only different thing I did today was give him 1 teaspoon of Fancy Feast pate mixed in with some of his Gastro 'cos I want to segway to low carb, plu about 45 minutes ago he had a few asthma coughs.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Reason for edit: Already recieved answer from the FB site.
  2. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

what insulin your kitty is on?
    what is the current dose?
    what type of meter do you use - human or pet calibrated?
    Knowing that will help people help you.

Forgive me but it was irresponsible of your vet to advise you not to check BG level before injecting insulin - you cat could have gone Hypoglycemic and it is potentially fatal. Please always check the BG prior to injection to be sure it is safe to administer insulin. The preshot BG level should be free of food influences - it means feed your kitty 2 hours before you check the preshot value.
    @JessieV

3. JessieV

JessieV Member

My vet did not say Don't check. She said do what I want but she wants me to check it at the 6 hr mark. I check, feed and then shoot. using Lantus, pet monitor, 3.5 units. . I just retested (have big problems getting blood from ear even with warming and massaging and husband holding the cat, wasted a strip and he has 4 new holes) and it's up to 169.

4. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Oh, I am very sorry, I misread.
    Good luck to you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.