Need civie help for Hossie..................

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ceil99, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceil99

ceil99 Member

He turned 15 in January and he is one of Butchie's sons.............

He seems to be having some constipation going on? At least that is what I think it is. He stands in the bathroom and then crouches as if he is going to poop and then strains and strains and then starts walking trying to poop!! :-Q . Nothing comes out, I look and don't see anything.

I have given him Petromalt and probiotics last night but nothing is happening today.

He is drinking ok and I tested his BG just to be sure and it was 94 last night.

Any other suggestions? How long before Petromalt works? I am not sure how often to give him stuff as I don't want to give him diaherrea either....... :?

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

My suggestion is make sure it's trouble pooping and not trouble peeing, you should have the vet check. They can palpate and feel if it's bladder or colon.

I once mistook Sam's trouble as being constipated and thankfully was home when he starting have real trouble and got him to the vet in time. A male cat can be prone to urinary blockages.

3. ceil99

ceil99 Member

you had me thinking and worried...............so I have been "stalking" him all day.

He just went a really good pee, so it is not his pee.

He is still doing the squatting and pushing and straining..............but now we have some "farts"....(shhhh)........so hopefully we are getting somewhere......... ohmygod_smile

I will try some Miralax in his food in a while. Anyone have any experiences with constipation???? How did he get this? Does this come with old age?

I haven't changed food or anything...........confusing.........

Poor baby, he looks frustrated.............. :roll:

4. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

1/8 tsp miralax 2x a day.. less if diarrhea occurs.. more if it doesnt help.

However :!: Please make sure he is not blocked up with poo... the miralax will soften the new poo but wont help much with the poo already in there. Merlyn was blocked with poo the night he was diagnosed with a heart condition, and it got worse. I think he wasnt able to push as easily because of his heart.

It is something that happens with age..

5. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

Suggest getting kidney values run. Average age of diagnosis = 9, and low kidney values = dehydration, can mean constipation.

6. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

Sounds like a vet visit is in order, if you can. My civie, Phoebe, was constipated due to impacted anal glands. I hope Hossie has a bowel movement soon!

7. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Ceil, how is Hossie doing?

8. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Still the same. I have started some amoxi on him - his teeth need cleaning, but not sure they would ok any type of anesthesia now.

May think about taking him in tomorrow just to be checked. Can't afford any blood work now unless I can "pay later"

He is drinking and peeing ok so far.

9. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Cast your opinions please----------which is the best, easiest on his system and produces "natural" help??? confused_cat

Should I be giving Hossie a daily dose of:

Petromalt

Miralax

Probotics

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.