? Need help w med dosing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sherrib, May 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

Woke up this morning and my cat face is very swollen from having his infected tooth that I could never get removed and this is a reason why his diabetes is back long story short I finally was able to buy him a new fresh bottle of his insulin. I was in complete shock but went with that dinner with any questions before she changed her mind I caught up is that she knows my background she knows that I work in veterinarian field and she just want to head and gave me the medication that I need for his infection but I'm a little bit Thrown off about the directions on the bottle because it says to give him three ml once a day .
    How do you break down your medicine for once a day, I gave it to him at 1 o'clock this afternoon. Now do I give it to him now since its 1:00'AM ( 12 hour cycle ) or wait until 1:00 PM ( 24 hour cycle ) I can already tell it's working because the really bad spelling has gone down by at least 50%

2. sherrib

Oh meds is ZydaClin ( clindamycin oral ) not . No paperwork at all and nothing on the bottle telling me the strength of the medication. But I think I found my answer because it says once every 24 hours depending on the severity of the condition. I wonder if I should go ahead and give him a second dose at 12 hours since his abscess has whole side of his face swollen and then drop down to giving it once every 24 hours ? What's your personal feeling about this

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Were the dosing instructions not specifically for Skittle's? A quick look online suggests only administering once every 24 hours as your bottle states. Says usually by day three (3rd dose) it should be helping a lot. Maybe others will have personal experience/other thoughts :)

sherrib likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

My opinion is that you should stick to the dosing instructions you were given.

sherrib likes this.
  5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

This

includes
    "Cats:

Infected Wounds, Abscesses And Dental Infections
    5.0 - 15.0 mg/lb body weight once every 24 hours depending on the severity of the condition."

It also states
    "Equivalent to 25 mg per mL clindamycin"
    This
    https://www.petrescuerx.com/index.cfm/product/40_51/zydaclin-oral-solution.cfm
    also says
    ZydaClin Oral Drops liquid (for use in dogs and cats) is a palatable formulation intended for oral administration of clindamycin. Each mL of ZydaClin Oral Drops liquid contains clindamycin hydrochloride equivalent to 25 mg clindamycin; and ethyl alcohol, 8.64%.

I would stick with the once daily dosing. The first articles says dog dosing is every 12 hours

sherrib likes this.
  6. sherrib

Hi everyone
    I am doing 3 ml once a day ( its 1 ml per 5 pounds )
    This stuff works great!! I could tell a difference the very first day! By the second day all his swelling and the awful smell was gone! It does give him diarrhea though.

7. sherrib

Btw , anyone know if I can buy this online anywhere? ( instead of having to get it from my vet )

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

You can try 1880pet meds and Dr Foster and Smith. I would just Google for clindamycin for cats

9. sherrib

Thank you, I will try that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.