Need help with Chloe

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lau, Jan 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lau

Lau Member

Hi
    Chloe’s been diagnosed and on insulin for about a month now. Near the holidays I was super busy with work and family functions and couldn’t always give her the insulin twice a day. I’ve been doing it regularly the last week though and her numbers don’t seem to be going down at all. I have yet to do a curve so today I’m trying to get it done as I’m off due to a pulled tooth. The numbers don’t seem to be lower through the day like they should be. She’s eating friskies canned food and her urine has a lot of glucose in it as she’s been peeing in the dog bed and it’s super sticky. Any ideas? Should I up her dose? Does she need a different insulin? She’s currently on Prozinc. Any advice would be great. Thanks

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Congrats on home testing! That's probably a bigger hurdle than injecting insulin. :)

You're doing a lot of things right - testing, keeping the spreadsheet, getting those pre shot BG numbers, adding in more middle cycle tests, posting here, etc.

Here are my comments:
    • her dose needs to be bumped up based on the recent middle cycle numbers
    • normally we increase the dose in 0.25 u increments so you don't zoom past a good dose - easy to do if your syringes have half unit marks but can be guesstimated with a little practice
    • it's far too early to decide that ProZinc isn't working. A good rule of thumb is 6 months on an insulin before switching unless there are obvious signs of allergy, etc.
    Here's what I suggest:
    • bump her up to 2.25 u tomorrow
    • give that dose AM and PM for two days (four 12 hour cycles)
    • if you don't see blues in the middle part of the cycle, increase to 2.5 u after those two days
    • repeat until you see blues. At that point the rate of dose increase will be reduced because you're zeroing in on the good dose range.
    • post on the ProZinc forum for dosing help
    The middle cycle numbers are crucial in assessing the effectiveness of a dose. The pre shot BGs are used to tell you if a dose is safe to give, not to determine the size of dose to give.

Have you seen this? http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...prozinc-pzi-insulin-for-diabetic-cats.164995/

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. Please remove the 'GA'. I am sure you do not realize it, and it is a common mistake, but that means your cat has died.

From the numbers you have, it appears that she is still not getting enough insulin and needs an increase of .25 unit. I am glad you have started getting mid-cycle tests in, because those are necessary to evaluate how a dose is working. Even if you cannot do curves, if you can just get some mid-cycle tests in here and there, it is helpful. The ProZinc forum is the best place for dosing questions.

4. Lau

Lau Member

How do I edit the title? When I go to edit the post it doesn’t have a part to edit the title. Sorry I put it under GA, I assumed GA stood for general advice.

5. Lau

Lau Member

Thanks for the advice and link, I’ll up her dose in the morning to the 2.25. The syringes I’m using only have half dosages but I’ll eyeball the middle of that.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Go to the title area of your thread page and there's a drop down menu at the left end. Select "none" (or similar).

7. Lau

Lau Member

Thanks, just did it.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  8. Lau

Lau Member

Now I’m really confused, I upper her dose to 2.25 units this morning like recommend and didn’t get a chance to test through the day. I just tested now as she’s due for her shot within the next half hour and she’s at 10.2(184) I tested twice to make sure it wasn’t the monitor, first came back at 9.9 then I got a fresh sample and it was the 10.2 before feeding. She’s eating now but should I give her the evening insulin and if so how much?

9. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

It is surprising to see her that low at pre-shot based on the rest of your data. Normally, you would want to stall without feeding for about 20 minutes and retest to see if she was rising on her own. Since you have already fed, that won't be an option this time. You said it is still a half hour before her shot? So, you test a half hour before shot time then feed then give the shot (30 mins later)?

I would test her again at shot time, or maybe wait even a bit later (ProZinc allows for up to an hour of 'play' time) then determine what to give based on her number at that time. You can post here if you want people's input. I would like to suggestion again, however, that you post on the ProZinc forum when you need dosing advise rather than here. Here's a link to that forum: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/

10. Lau

Lau Member

I just tested her now and she’s 14.8(266). I still haven’t given her a dose. I will post in the Prozinc though and see what’s they say.

11. Lau

Lau Member

I sometimes vary the testing time based off of my schedule by half an hour here and there. She usually gets it at 5:30-6 depending on what I’m working but I do the test, feed, shoot immediately though when I do test and don’t wait half an hour after.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.