Need help with dosage

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Anela, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anela

Anela Member

I've been trying to learn about feline diabetes by reading your post. I now need advice. Below are Kekoa's BG's from Monday and Tuesday and this morning.

Sunday 12/24
    6:45am 113 Alpha, gave 1/2 a unit
    6:15pm 173 Alpha, 122 Relion, gave 1/4 of a unit because increase BG due to giving him several Fancy Feast Dry kibble because I wasn't sure if he was eating and we needed to leave the house.

Monday 12/25
    6:45am 151 Alpha, 110 Human Meter gave 1/4 of a unit
    11:30am (+5) 146 Alpha,108 Human Meter
    3:50pm (+8) 123 Alpha, 90 Human Meter
    No insulin in PM because came home late from Christmas dinner.

Tuesday 12/26
    6:30am 144 Alpha, 105 Human Meter gave 1/4 of a unit
    10:30am (+4) 103 Alpha
    12:30pm (+6) 133 Alpha
    5:30pm 150 Alpha, 113 Human Meter gave 1/4 of a unit

Wednesday 12/27
    6:00am 144 Alpha, 126 Human Meter gave 1/4 of a unit

FYI he's on Lantus.

I reduced his insulin from 1/2 a unit to 1/4 of a unit because he started hanging in the lower 100’s on Alpha and 80’s-90’s on the Human Meter.

At this point would you stay with 1/4 unit or go back to 1/2 unit?
    Thank you in advance for any advise for me going forward.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...kpzuauDX8wvop0EX_5LXez82R38Wa640a8tmA/pubhtml

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Reason for edit: to add spreadsheet
  2. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome! If you could get your spreadsheet set up, that would be easy for you to track all the numbers.
    FDMB SPREADSHEET INSTRUCTIONS

With your cat still getting dry kibble, I think it's best you stay with 0.25u Lantus twice a day and follow the SLGS protocol. You are getting nice numbers right now.

:bighug::bighug:

3. Anela

Anela Member

I'm trying to add to signature again now but doesn't seem to show up. I was only giving him like 10-15 pieces of dry after he received his medicines twice a day. On Saturday I gave him 3 times the amount because I wasn't sure if he was eating well enough. After seeing his elevated number on Saturday PMPS, I haven't given him any dry at all, not even for his medicines treat.

4. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Welcome!!! Great job doing the Spreadsheet! That helps very much.

If you click on your user ID in the top right corner of the page and then “Signature”, you should be able to paste the link there as well as add some basic info as to kitty’s name, age, date diagnosed, insulin used, and meter used. That way it stays with every post you do.

You’ve done a good job so far! If you reduced his dose due to holidays, etc, I can understand that. The normal reduction point for a kitty eating dry food is 90 but if he’s off all dry and you want to try the Tight Regulation Protocol (just click on that bold blue), the reduction point is 68 on the AT.

You do not have to choose any method right now but I would suggest you read all the Stickys at the top of the Lantus/Levemir insulin support Group Page (which is where you posted). This will help you decide, in the near future, how you’d like to approach managing his diabetes.

We typically don’t like to dose hop so I’d leave him at 0.25u for the next few cycles and grab as many random spot tests as you can. It’s important that you are get every preshot test. We’d like to see him in green numbers and you might find the dose needs to go up. However, with removal of all dry food, that could do the trick!

Just a note...SLGS is not a protocol. It’s just an approach or method. It’s based on empirical data gathered over years from the board.

If you need help with the signature block, please send me a private message by clicking on “Marje and Gracie” to the left and then “start a conversation”.

Pleas ask all question you have. We have tons of experience and are here to help.

5. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Welcome on board! I hope you get the help you need here. It was very helpful to me these last weeks! Nice to see your kitty is already in pretty blue numbers. Here are two important things I didn't know about Lantus when I arrived here:

- it's rather important to shoot 12 hours apart
    - it's important to stick to a dose for at least a few days to see what is going on, and do small increment reductions and increases

Another important thing I hadn't realised is about food -- that changing food from high carb to low carb could have a dramatic impact on glucose levels.

Hope this helps :)

6. Steph & Quintus & L & O

7. Steph & Quintus & L & O

8. Anela

Anela Member

Oh! Yes, I used his because you were using an AlphaTrak. I will try to work on it again when I get home tonight. Thank you!

9. Anela

Anela Member

10. Steph & Quintus & L & O

the only difference between human and alphatrak sheets is the lime green/dark green boundary numbers. Mine is indeed set up for the AT, as the ones on the instructions pages. If you don't use mmol/l then just get the US version rather than the World one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.