Need help with home testing...newly diagnosed cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by leestuart, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leestuart

leestuart New Member

My sweet cat Blackie is a newly diagnosed diabetic. I just bought the Freestyle Lite and would like to home test his blood glucose. I tried to do it and was unsuccessful. He squirms away and I cannot seem to get enough blood to get a reading. I live in Long Island City, NY. Is anyone available to guide me through this process. Thank you so much!

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

We may have someone nearby. But we have helped lots of people over the internet. Here are two sites to get you started

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zE12-4fVn8 A video that shows hometesting

http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/harry/bgtest.htm My favorite site for hometesting information

For the squirming: We put Oliver on the couch next to the arm on a towel. Then we wrapped him up with only his head showing. (Kitty Burrito)

No blood. Did you sure warm his ear up really warm with a rice sack? That is vital in the beginning.

3. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Hi Sue, My name is Roni & I live in Long Beach, NY..On here for almost 2 yrs. and had much trouble testing--I'm sending you a private message and we can speak about some help-OK??

4. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Did you get my private message??

5. leestuart

leestuart New Member

Thank you Sue and Oliver...I appreciate your quick response. Hopefully we will be able to get a reading soon. Do you personally prick the inside or outside of the ear?

6. paige

paige Well-Known Member

7. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

See, you are helping others already! :) Way to go!

8. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I find the inside easier to see because of the less hear, but the outside is better access. Try both!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.