Need help with my diabetic kitty

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rubylove, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rubylove

Rubylove New Member

I all. I was on this form about 8 years ago when my cat was diagnosed with diabetes. I did all my research and with the help of you all, I changed her (Ruby's) diet, gave insulin, and she has been within normal limits for the last 5 year. She is now 17 and in the last couple of weeks her blood glucose has been 57-92, I have given her dry food (wellness) she was on the canned chicken or turkey wellness. Her levels are not coming up and she is not eating as much as she used to. She is drinking more water, I assume it's because of the dry food. Other than that, she is acting normal. I'm wondering if it is coming to the end of our days together and I am so heart broken and worried. Do I take her to the vet to have blood tests? Help!! Any info/advice is much appreciated.

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Are you still giving insulin? If so what type and how much?

Levels of 57-92 are quite normal when using a human meter. The usual good ranges quoted when using a human meter are 50-100 although some kitties will run a little higher or a little lower.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Was insulin give in the time frame the BG were measured? These BGs are normal without insulin.
    The increased drinking could be caused by kidney degradation. Such degradation is not unusual in older cats. Has blood work beed done after thee symptoms were observed?

4. Rubylove

Rubylove New Member

She is no longer on insulin, and has not been for the last 5 years.
    Good to know that they are normal levels, I thought she should be at least over 100!
    No, blood work has not been done. I am wondering If I should take her in for a blood panel.
    I'm guessing that would tell us the level of kidney functions??

5. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

It is always a good idea with an older kitty, especially one who was insulin dependent at one point, to have a yearly check up done. Drinking more water could also be a sign of some kidney problems or hyperthyroid which you can ask for her to be tested for.

It would be best not to give dry food, because she was insulin dependent at one time AND because dry food is harder on the kidneys.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  6. Rubylove

Rubylove New Member

Ok, thank you very much! I will stop the dry food and make an appointment for her to see the vet.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  7. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Prayers for your sweet kitty and you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.