? Need help with my sister's cat - giving 1 unit - her pmps is 115

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jan Radar (GA), Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

My sister's newly diagnosed cat gave her a reallly low 34 this afternoon... I talked her through it and we got the cat's numbers to come up.

There is a thread on the main health forum... here's the link: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ry-of-dka-need-help-for-tonights-shot.197575/

I don't know that much about ketones because Radar has never had any... Lovie had DKA last week and so I'm worried about skipping her shot tonight but the 2 units is clearly too much insulin. Help! I'm in over my head.

My sister is currently stallling and not feeding. The latest reading is 105 and that is a fasting number.

2. Jan Radar (GA)

@Kris & Teasel
    Do you know anything about ketones? maybe you can help me help my sister figure out what to do... ?

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes - I have too much experience with ketones unfortunately ... I wouldn't skip insulin so soon after a DKA bout. I'd suggest a lower dose like 1 u because the lows today will have left her kitty more insulin sensitive. Lantus has a relatively slow onset so if she can get a tablespoon or two of food in over the 2+ hours after the shot that should cushion its impact. Get a +2 test for sure and be prepared to intervene with carbs if necessary.

Post-DKA she might want to feed slightly higher carb food to support a high enough insulin dose to keep ketones at bay in the immediate aftermath. Is she testing for urine ketones with human urine ketone test strips?

4. Jan Radar (GA)

Thank you for your quick reply! Yes she is testing for ketones with human strips.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. Jan Radar (GA)

Michelle is testing Lovie now. Then she will feed and give 1 unit of Lantus. She has lined the literbox with saran wrap so she can catch some pee to test with the ketone strip. I love the suggestion of giving higher carb food so more insulin can be given since she's just recovered from DKA.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  6. Jan Radar (GA)

Her pmps is 115.

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I learned that here from reading @Meya14’s advice to other people with post DKA kitties. Also, it’s often said here that the dosing rules go out the window while DKA is recent history.

8. Jan Radar (GA)

Michelle put Saran wrap in part of the LB to catch some fresh pee and Lovie peed in a new place so we have no Ketone reading...:eek: not yet anyway. She will keep trying to get a reading. Lovie has been given some MC food which she ate quite happily and we are due for another test again in about 15 minutes. That will be her +2 test. Hoping that Lovie does not nose dive.

9. Jan Radar (GA)

Lovie's +2 is 134 so we feel a bit better. maybe she's starting her bounce... ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.