Need help...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rnblocker, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rnblocker

Rnblocker New Member

I need help finding my cat a new home. He was recently diagnosed with diabetes 2 months ago and responding well to the treatments. With my lifestyle... I can no longer care for him the way he needs. He is a white 12lb neutered male that has a wonderful personality. He is friendly and loves attention. Can anyone guide me in the right direction of finding him a good home....

Thanks, Becca

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Hi Becca,

I run a project called Diabetic Cats in Need. One of the things DCIN does is rehome unwanted diabetic cats.

But another, more important, thing DCIN does is try to help a caregiver overcome obstacles that are causing him/her to believe that the diabetic cat needs to be rehomed.

Perhaps you can give us some more information about the conflict between caring for your cat and your lifestyle. Lots of us here have lifestyle v. special needs cat issues and we may have some ideas for you.

We also would like to know more about your cat and his diabetes. What is his name? What is his diabetic treatment protocol and history--meaning what insulin, how much, how often, do you hometest blood glucose (BG) levels, do you curve at home or in the vet's office, what food is he eating, has he been DKA (diabetic ketoacidotic) or hypo (low BG level), does he have or has he had any infections that might cause his BG level to be high (upper respiratory, urinary tract, dental)? Are you aware that with the right insulin, dosage protocol, and food, cats can go off insulin? Nothing is guaranteed; my cat has been on insulin for almost 4 years. But many here are what we call OTJ--off the juice.

Are finances an issue? We have many many ideas for reducing the costs of caring for a diabetic cat. And DCIN may be able to help a bit with supplies.

Also, please give us an idea where the cat is--city and state/province.

I know how very difficult, Becca, it is to come amongst a group of strangers who care or have cared for a diabetic cat and make a plea for rehoming your diabetic cat. I am sure you are anxious about being criticized for "abandoning" your cat. You won't get that from me, as long as you work to find him a home and don't just toss him into the street or a shelter, or euthanize him solely because of his diabetes.

Cats attach to people, and rehoming is very difficult on many of them, especially the older ones. And, as you certainly know, rehoming a special needs cat is difficult and takes time to find a proper placement. So please let's talk first about how we might help you keep him with you, but if that doesn't work out, we can take the next step to attempt rehoming. This is the page on the DCIN blog that covers the steps to rehome a diabetic cat through DCIN. While you are considering your options and responding to my questions above (and questions you might receive from others), you may want to work on the questions at the end of that DCIN rehoming page. You can email them to me at vmaewood @ att.net (remove spaces).

Take care, Becca, and give that extra sweet baby a kiss on the head from me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.