Need info on what blood glucose level should be to give insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mariella & Simba, Oct 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mariella & Simba

Mariella & Simba Member

Hello everyone. Simba was dx'd in August, and was initially on 1 unit of Lantus. We did a couple curves 2 weeks apart and his BG was trending down, but still staying pretty high in the mid-200's. Vet increased dose to 2 units on 9/13. The first curve after that it had decreased quite a bit, and she wanted us to do another curve in a week, which is today, fearing he would go too low. His numbers today were at 7:15a.m. 103, 12:20pm 103, 3:20pm 76, and 7:20pm 106. I had given him some lunch after the 12:20 test, chicken breast, but he vomited it (he has IBD also), which I didn't immediately discover. When he tested 76 at 3:20 pm, we became concerned, and I gave him a small portion of Wysong dry kibble, which is about 5% carbohydrate. After his evening meal tonight I gave him his 2 units of insulin. (I have a hypoglycemic kit prepared, just in case he goes too low, but I hope never to need to use it.) So, since he is trending low, I feel he should be tested Monday (tomorrow) morning before he eats to see where he is, as I sure wouldn't want to give him 2 units, or perhaps even 1, if he is below 100. Our vet doesn't support testing before each injection. I will phone his curve results from today in to her office, but might not hear from her for hours.

So, my question to the group is what is the lowest blood glucose level at which I should give him insulin, and how much. I have read that readings between 60 and 120 are essentially normal, and would not call for insulin at all. He had those all day today, yet got insulin twice. I am fairly certain she will reduce his dose, if not stop it, after seeing his curve results today, but I don't want to put him in danger (if I haven't already with this evening's dose). His basic diet, because of his IBD, even before diagnosis, was very few carbs, as he eats only freeze-dried raw food, with an occasional tablespoon of prescription Royal Canin Rabbit kibble. Upon his diagnosis I stopped the rabbit kibble completely, and he now gets an occasional small snack of the Young Alive Zero kibble (but I gave him Wysong Epigen today purposely because it has some carbs in it, after the 76 reading). He doesn't get a kibble snack every day, even of the Young Alive or Wysong. I am thinking he is near remission and want to be very careful with him.

Your advice is welcome, thank you in advance.

Mariella & Simba

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Mariella, please copy this post and start a new thread in the Lantus forum HERE . The experienced Lantus users will be able to help you with your questions and concerns.

Just a note, if you have been keeping track of all the home testing you have done, please set up the spreadsheet, plug the numbers in, so that the Lantus members can take a look and see what's been happening. We are very data driven here and they will need that data to make recommendations.

Best wishes to you and Simba

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

On an AT, we don’t want them going below 68, not 60. We determine how to change the Lantus dose based on how low it takes the cat. That 76 is quite low. Please test again tonight 2-3 hours after his night time shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.