Need Kidney Help for Blackie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ele & Blackie (GA), Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Since Friday it has been a real challenge to get Blackie to eat. I started syringe feeding him Saturday and added baby food on Sunday. He vomited twice on Sunday morning, but his poop is normal. His bg's have been pretty low, so I lowered his insulin dose and kept a close watch. Today I got him into a vet.

It was a bad morning - my vet is out of town, he's in a single vet clinic, so I had to find a vet that had an opening. After 3 calls I found one. Took Blackie in had bloodwork, exam, u/a. His creatnine went from 2.7 3 months ago to 3.9 today. (You can see all of his bloodwork results in my signature.) Vet suggested overnight IV fluids, I compromised with subQ fluids. They did 75ml in the office and we'll do more tonight, twice tomorrow and Wed am. We're supposed to have bloodwork rerun in 2 days to see if there's improvement with the fluids. He also gave us an appetite stimulant - cyproheptadine. He also recommended a 3 week course of abs for possible kidney infection, but said to check with our regular vet. Also, the U/A was negative. I don't have the phos results, but I will later.

DH gave Blackie the 1/2 tab cypro at noon and it didn't make much difference in his appetite. How soon can I give it again? Do I have to wait until midnight?

If anyone has any suggestions, I welcome them. He has been on Renal Essentials and Azodyl for more than a year, potassium supplement 6 months ago and I added Rehmannia 8 a couple of months ago.

Thanks for you help
    Ele

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

1/2 tab of cyproheptadine (each tab is typically 4 mg) can be given BID. However, many cats become spaced out on 2 mg doses and many people use 1/4 of a 4 mg tab. Therefor, I would not give any more till 12 hours after the first dose. Is Blackie interested in food at all? Some experience is that isf a cat has no interest then the cyproheptadine usually does not work. An alternative appetite stimulate is Mirtazapine. It is a human drug and the dose is 1/4 of a 15 mg pill every three days. I have had better success with Mirtazapine.

3. Ele & Blackie (GA)

He will eat a little, but not much. Tonight at shot time he ate 1 Tb of food before he stopped. I check him in the middle of the night, so I can give him the Cypro then. How about if I give him 1/4 at midnight and another 1/4 in the morning to try to get him on a normal eating schedule?

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry I cant advise but am praying for your Blackie.

5. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Blackie is feeling a little better today. He's been eating more on his own and I haven't had to syringe feed since last night. After my reading last night, I'm wondering if he doesn't have a kidney infection. It said a sudden increase in creatinine and also his albumin/globulin ratio has decreased. I will talk to his regular vet today.

6. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

:YMHUG: (((((Ele))))) I don't know anything about kidney stuff, but wanted to send good wishes yours & Blackie's way. Hope he is feeling better & eating well soon!!!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ele i did'nt know... :(
    i posted on your lantus page about how great he was doing just cuz i looked at your SS.
    i feel so dopey!
    hope you guys are ok.
    lori
    and tomtom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.