Need Lactated Ringers & IV Lines

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cat and sweet max, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

Where do I buy them, and at the best price? The local pharmacist said they don't sell them. I have plenty of needles. It is a daily challenge, but Kee Kee is still going. Never thought I'd get so excited about poop.

Also need treats for a small dog in Kidney and Heart Failure. She is currently on NF food, but they don't make treats. She won't eat carrots. We are currently backing off of the Salix, and have added few things. We are desperately praying for her kidneys to improve, so she may be able to get the Mast Cell Tumor removed.

Sorry I haven't been on the board lately. I have had continual problems with computer viruses. And of course,taking care of everyone, etc. Well, you know the drill.

Thank you all for your prayers and support.

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

P.S. And wouldn't you know it, Sweet Max has been giving me low numbers at shot time. I like the low numbers, but it scares me that something else may be going on. He has gotten Chunky in the middle. Still sweet and loving though. :D

2. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I always bought my lines and needles (Terumo brand 20ga x 1" ultra thin wall....better than Monoject 18ga)
    through Brico Medical Supplies. Give them a phone call and they will help you with the details. Your vet will have to
    FAX an Rx to them for lines and needles.

Brico: 1-866-898-8570
    bricomedicalsupplies.net

They are knowledgeable about such supplies for cats and very helpful.

You can also purchase LRS through Hocks.com, but in can be pricey shipping unless you live on the East Coast.

I got my LRS through WalMart....a case at a time. You will need an Rx from your vet for
    a case (12 100ml bags). Have the vet write the Rx 'prn'....means you can re-fill the Rx anytime.

A case of LRS was costing me around $28 a couple of years ago at WalMart.

It is a special order item through WalMart...but they can usually get it in a day or two. Take an
    empty bag with you when you take the Rx to WalMart, so they can get the medical 'part-number' off the
    bag.

3. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Or find the NDC here, if you know which type of fluids you need.

This site lists some local sources for fluids. Most pharmacists will tell you they don't sell them if you call and ask for IV fluids. But if you give them the NDC, they can look in their systems and most will be able special order and get them in within a day. Call around for quotes, the prices can vary.

I just picked up a case of twelve 1000 ml bags from CVS a couple of weeks ago for $28+. Needles and IV lines, I get from Brico or ThrivingPets.com depending on what other supplies I need at that time.

IVD has a feline treat that's claimed to be appropriate for kidney failure. http://www.petfooddirect.com/Product/56 ... ine-Treats I don't know if there's a canine version.

4. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

Thank you! I wonder why our pharmacist couldn't order them.

5. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

iv lines i buy on ebay to save money.

terumo needles (20 gauge) i get thru thrivingpets.com. best prices i've found and quick service.

costco had fantastic deals on LRs last time i checked. i think i got a case of fluid bags for $13 after the costco pharmacy discount. if you're a costco member, you fill out a form to join their prescription club and get savings from there on out. sometimes you have to call a day ahead for them to order the case of fluids for you.

6. Kristen & Emma (GA)

Kristen & Emma (GA) Well-Known Member

I get fluids from my local CVS for about $25/case. I have ordered the lines a couple of times from Jorvet.com. They manufacture them, and I think the last time I bought some they were about $1.40 each (the item # is J400). They don't tell you the shipping cost, but I think it was about $8 for a dozen.

7. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

Thank you for all of the great links. Thriving
    Pets has reasonable prices for the IV lines. I wish I knew if one brand/type is as good as another. Then I would order the least expensive ones.
    Heading to check out Ebay, and will call
    Brico tomorrow. My computer is broken, so I haven't been around.

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers,

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

8. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I just ordered LRS from Walmart - I think they'll be about $25 for the case.
    I purchased the IV sets & needles from Thriving Pets. There's a lot of good information in the link WFC gave you. If you look around, it has information about needles, fluids, IV sets, etc.

9. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

I went to Walmart yesterday, and asked again. They ordered the Lactated Ringers and said suggested price is $25 for $12. Actual price is $31.72, and it is in already. I have the needles. Now I just need the lines. Ebay is cheaper, and they said they are sealed, but added at the end "AS IS". Those 2 words concern me a bit. Thank you for all of your help.

Hugs and Healing! Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.