Need to Foster and or adopt out our Kitty

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Arleen, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arleen

Arleen New Member

We have a Kitty that was diagnosed with Diabetes approx. 3 months ago. We are at a horific state right now. Just last night, went into gran mal seizures and had to take 20 minutes away to Vet. I literally thought she died at the last block. Both my husband and I are on disability and just can nnot afford the costs. Last nights bill alone was $800. and about 2 days prior we put out $230. We absolutely love her to death and have had her since we found her thrown out with other kittens, as a kitten. IN addition, she has grown up with another rescue kitten. Neither of them have been or are out door kitties and only know us. But we literally were to the point of putting her down this morning due to the fact that there is just no way we can watch her go through that again.

We were also told by our Vet that most people are unable to do a Glucose test at home due to the difficulty, so that is another deterrant. We would much rather find her a loving home that would be able to afford providing her with at least a few more years of a quality life. We brought her home last night and she has been playing etc. She is an absolutely beautiful cat that is a spayed female. She does require a lot of love and affection because she seems to have anxiey. We never figured out why because God Knows we have never ever harmed her and she has been with us 10 years. Therefore, one would think that she knows she is safe.

We reside in Auburn Ca. If anyone knows anywhere and or anyone that can help it would be great. This has got to be the most painful God awful thing to do. We hate the idea of getting rid of her, but the alternative is much worse. we love her to death and have basically been crying for 2 days and nights straight. Neither of us have been able to sleep

Arleen

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Arleen, what insulin is she on and what is the dose? You CAN do hometesting and it is not expensive. We have all learned to hometest our cats and we always test before feeding and shooting. It is the most important and lifesaving thing you can learn to do. Would you consider giving it a try? Walmart carries ReliOn meters and they are cheap as are the test strips. Also, what food are you feeding her?

3. monkeykisses

monkeykisses New Member

Hi Arlene,

So sorry to hear about your kitty. My Peanut just had a seizure last weekend - but it was just one so for now perhaps it was an isolated incident. He is currently in remission. I have another kitty - Fluffy who is now diabetic.

I have tested Peanut and now test Fluffy. Home testing is absolutely something you can do. You mention that you are not able to afford her - I'm assuming you are thinking that the vet bills would be too much to handle? Fluffy goes to the vet twice a year for her checkups. You will want to check with others here about the most cost effective and effective insulin if you decide to go that route and try to see if you can manage. To do home testing here is a link to a page that has lots of step by step instructions, pictures and links
    http://www.catinfo.org/?link=felinediabetes#In-Home_Blood_Glucose_Monitoring

Here is a good video if you prefer to see someone testing: http://youtu.be/cZ6iXetR398

Here is a link where you might be able to get your starter kit if you can't afford to buy one: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=60261

You will also want to download the tracking spreadsheet and then follow directions on how to add to your signature so you can share with everyone here for advice on managing your kitty's diabetes: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207

Here are some resources that maybe can help financially: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html

If you still feel that you can't manage perhaps you can find a place for your kitty here: http://www.petfinder.com/awo/index.cgi?action=state&state=CA&city=Auburn&keyword=

~Monica

4. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Arleen, on the top of this site to the right is a picture where you can request a meter, etc. from Rebecca. Please do so and then we can help you.

5. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Did the vet say if the seizure was diabetes-related (hypoglycemia aka low blood glucose level)? Blindly giving a diabetic cat insulin, especially a high dose of insulin, can cause very low blood glucose levels. Seizures is one symptom if blood glucose levels get very very low. What insulin is your cat on and what is the dose?

Managing your cat's diabetes doesn't need to break the bank. Here are tips on how to save money: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/frugal.html

And here is a list of places that you may be able to get help from with the vet bills: http://www.felinediabetes.com/vetbills.htm

Your vet is either behind the times or wants the $$ for the in-office blood glucose testing. You can test a cat's blood glucose levels at home. There are many published veterinary studies that promote hometesting. Here's a list that you can share with your vet: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2509

Hometesting does take a bit of time to learn how to do, as does any new skill you are learning. Many people give up after one or two tries so maybe that's why your vet says that is it difficult to do.

Go to this page and request a free blood glucose testing kit for your cat: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=60261

I hope you will reconsider giving your cat away. Diabetes is very managabe if you are willing to be a little proactive in learnng about the disase and how to manage it. :YMHUG:

6. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I sent a message to DCIN (Diabetic Cats in Need) in case none of the case managers had seen your post. They can sometimes assist in helping you keep your kitty home by fundraising, or assist in networking if rehoming is the only answer.

The links given are great, read the board and all the information here to help treat your sweet kitty at home. It IS doable. Many vets think hometesting isn't possible and we all do it, the start may be a little rought, but most of our cats get so used to it they come running and purring when it is time to test. My girl is sitting on my mouse pad purring right now because we just tested. Once the diabetes is under control, the scary (and expensive) vet visits will go away too.

Good luck and welcome to FDMB. The place you don't want to be, but the best place for you to be when you have a sugar kitty.

7. Jenn & Baxter

Jenn & Baxter Well-Known Member

Excuse my language, but I am calling BS on not home testing. Your vet is WRONG!! YES WRONG!! :twisted:
    It is possible. Everyone on the MB home test.
    If I can home test anyone can.

Your story breaks my heart. Don't give up anything you love. Get yourself one of the BG kits from the top of the FD page. All you pay for is shipping. I can't imagine the heart break of you or your husband must have just thinking of giving up your cat.

Keep us updated please.

Jenn & Baxter
    cat_pet_icon

8. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

BG testing is not hard. Your vet IS WRONG! Would any responsible human doctor have you give insulin to your child , or yourself for that matter, without BG testing? NO!!! The same is true for our cats.

Most of us BG test w/ a human meter, you do not need the expensive pet meters. The Relion meter is good and inexpensive and you can get strips for it even cheaper online. There are lots of ways to manage the expenses. The ER bills are frightening, but w/ good day to day management you should not have to worry about that.

We can help you take care of your Kitty.

The first few days of testing can be frustrating, but both you and your Kitty will get used to it. Most of our cats purr during the tests because they know they get a treat afterwards. I've looked and there may be a member in your area if you want help learning to test.

In order to help we need to know more:
    • What insulin?
      What dose?
      What are you feeding? (Many cats can go off insulin w/ the proper diet and that is NOT the expensive prescription food!)
      How old is she?
      What does she weigh?

There are also ways to help financially if that is still an obstacle. :YMHUG: :YMHUG: You can handle this.

9. Suzanne&Grey

Suzanne&Grey Member

I agree with everything everyone else has said, but especially this! I've been everywhere from low to no income while my Grey (GA) had diabetes, and it wasn't until I had to choose treating her CRF as priority over the diabetes that insulin had to come back into the picture. Home testing as well as Janet & Binky's food list made it possible for me to diet-control her diabetes for years.

I hope you find a way to keep your girl!

Suzanne

10. Arleen

Arleen New Member

Please understand the last thing we want to do is give her away....She is 10 and we have had her since she was a kitten, we rescued her and she has asister who was rescued elsewhere. Initially the Vet started on 2 Units AM and PM, went in about 2 wqeeks later upped it to 2 Units and 3 Units went in later and upped it to 3 and 3. All the above testings were done at 8:00AM. The most recent time we went in it was at 3PM and that was when he upped it to 5 Units in the AM and PM. 3 Days later was when she had the Insulin (Hypoglacemic Seizures) when we took her to the ER Vet, her level was at 22. The Vet refuses to take responsibility, he claims that when things like this happen it is human error. She is 14 pounds as of today. We have had her on W/D Soft Food for Diabetic Cats and apparently the receptionist did not inform the Vet of that prior to that particular test. It was mainly due to finances and it absolutely kills us to think of giving her away, but we would hate for this to happen again, her to suffer and then pass. I will check out the sites for Financial help and I thank everyone for the positive reinforcement aboput doing the testing at home. He says he can not do ti on any cat, but his Techs can, which is why he says we will be unable to do it. I do believe we are switching Vets also to a more Kitty friendly and compassionate Vet.
    I did order the Kit and should be getting it tomorrow.

Again, thank you so much
    Arleen

11. Jenn & Baxter

I am glad you are getting a BG kit.
    I don't know what kind of insulin you are using but 3 units is a lot. Especially when you are not home testing.
    On the FDMD we like to start out slow. There is a post about starting out slow. I hope you will have a chance to read it.

I am also glad you are switching vets. Many vets will advice to increase the insulin without testing first. To me that is crazy & any vet who cares about your animal would not advice that. Its almost like executing your cat. While you are switching vets. Switch to a much cheaper can food with less carbs. Have you asked the vet what is so prescription about W/D? What are the carbs in W/D? What are the special ingredients in W/D. Guarantee he won't be able to answer all 3 of those questions. Take that stuff back & get your money back.

Stay active on the MD & you will have your kitty feeling better sooner. Everyone will help you with dosing, food choices & give you lots of support. What city do you live in? Put a post out about vet recommendations in your area.

Please tell us what your furry friend name is.

Keep us updated.
    Jenn & Baxter cat_pet_icon

12. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

OMG Arleen!!! Your vet is horrible. This board can help you and your little girl - what is her name?
    She was probably on way too much insulin.

Around here we test before we give insulin. There is no guessing. It's not safe to give insulin to a cat (or human) without doing a blood test to see what the sugar is. The people here on the board live feline diabetes day in and day out. I no longer have a diabetic but when I did I was an overwhelmed newbie like you. I read and asked questions and learned. Pretty soon I was not as overwhelmed. My cat started coming to me to get tested because I gave him low carb treats after. Soon I saw his blood sugar numbers start to get better and the insulin dose go lower and lower because I had day to day help from this board. I couldn't get help like that from my vet. In a very short amount of time I learned how to test, shoot, do curves, understand what his numbers meant and a few months later he came off insulin and became a diet controlled diabetic. My mom did all of this too with her diabetic cat - and she didn't even have a computer! I posted for her and relayed all the information! Her cat has been off insulin since.
    You are going to be okay. You're in a good place now. Hang in there.

13. Suzanne&Grey

Suzanne&Grey Member

Is the W/D by Hill's, Science Diet? If so, take it back to the vet. My vet was good about letting me try various Hill's Science Diet prescription formulas until we found one that Grey would eat, as well as having a decent compromise between her diabetes and kidney failure. It shouldn't cost the vet anything, it's something Hill's does to promote that food through vets.

What insulin are you using? People here are in a sort of insulin "click" if you will, and they know how that insulin affects cats. Please take the advice of others over mine, but I wonder if you need to shoot at all until you can home test your baby?

Keep your chin up, you can do this!

Suzanne

14. SabrinaFaire

SabrinaFaire Member

Your vet sounds like a greedy jerk who wants you to bring your cat in so he can buy himself a fancy car. :( I think everyone has given you good advice. I hope you find a good vet soon. Home testing is not hard at all, it just takes some practice.

15. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

I am so darn happy you will be getting a meter and testing. W/D is crapy food, nothing but carbs and usually used for weight reduction. Years ago that is the food they used for all diabetics and when I think for 4 years that is all my Patches was allowed to eat it breaks my heart because he could have eaten all Fancy Feast low carb food. He passed away long before FDMB was up and running so the knowledge was not out there. You will definitely need to monitor and lower that dose before removing the high carb food or you will risk another major hypo.

Kudos to you for taking charge, getting a meter and hopefully finding another vet that is willing to work with you and help you. The more you read and learn and understand the more you can help your kitty and maybe even teach a vet a few new things. Everyone on this board loves cats and will go out of their way to help...just post and ask away.

16. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Whichever insulin that idiot vet gave you going from 3 to 5 units is just ridiculous it is not surprising your poor kitty had a seizure. You have found the right place for help Arleen. Most of us were quite overwhelmed to start off with but you will be surprised how quickly things start to get easier with the help of FDMB and all the wonderful people that are here to help you - for no charge! It is obvious that you love your kitty very much, so I'm so glad you came here, I think you will find you'll be able to keep her afterall, for many many more happy healthy years.

17. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

Arline, can you post your city & state? You can put it in your profile on the right ------>
    or post it here. Maybe there is a member in your city who can recommend a better vet?
    it sounds like the vet you have been using is maybe not educated/familiar with FD and doesn't want to appear ignorant.
    My cat in is remission, but I still test about every 2 weeks or so. Granted I have issues, but that is probably because Cedric was only getting insulin for a month, so I am still not used to it. he is very good about it though and likes the treats he gets. My new rescue Dallas - he was a stray cat who's family "left him" and he had been living outside probably for at least 2 years. he needed medical attention, so I was able to rescue him with the help and advice of a few people here. Anyway, Dallas watches and gets treats too, when we test.

you will probably get a rice sock in your test kit; I use this instead, to heat Cedric's ear: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=3469936
    It was something we had and I have had better results (ie I don't burn it). We use a Relion Micro from walmart, as it was $9, strips are $20 for 50. Cedric knocked it off the counter around Christmas and I thought for sure it was broken - nope!

Good luck and keep us posted! I sure hope you can keep your baby and find a better vet! :thumbup

18. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Reading this post, has anyone been in touch w/ Arleen and her baby????

Very curious and worried... wanted an update????

I soooo hope you keep your baby and seek help from here. Give out your city and state, take any hands on help or financial help from here you can get. You, your hubby and definately your baby deserve each other! Sending lots and lots of encouraging words, prayers and offering up ANYTHING I could possibly do to help you! I can soo hear your pain thru your words about all of this.

Just this Saturday, Louies mom (met from this forum) and I were at the petsmart by our house and there was a group called classy cats there for adoption day. Of course, we both shared our stories about our fd kitties. They were sooo impressed, they took our # to help many of folks that call in wanting to give up their babies or pts cuz their vets said it was not doable....

Hang in there, hon - yall CAN DO THIS and before you know it, you will be offering encouraging words to someone else in your shoes...promise, promise

Furry hugs and prayers coming your way! ;-)

19. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry this happened to you, Arleen, but this doesn't have to be that expensive or that hard. I have no doubt that jumping to 5U from 3U is what drove your baby's bg so low and caused the seizure. Shame on that vet for not referring you to someone who knew what they were doing since he obviously does not!

As everyone else told you, you can do this. It's only hard when you're learning and so is your cat. My cat is now one of those who reminds me when it's time and goes to our testing spot. lol. If you make it fun, yours probably will too. I also only go to the vet with her every 6 months and she's 15 with asthma and diabetes taking meds for both. Hang in there. It will get better. Everyone here will help you.

Melanie & Racci

20. Traci and Boomer

<<she's 15 with asthma and diabetes taking meds for both. Hang in there. It will get better.>>

Hi Melanie-
    Just want to introduce myself - my civvie Merlin (avitar) has asthma too in case you ever need anyone to talk to about asthma. ;-)

21. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello and Welcome! I didn't read this entire thread, but I notice you are in Auburn, CA. I'm in Antelope, CA. My Muffin is diet controlled now for over a year, and was only on insulin for 4 months, but I still test her every month on her anniversary. If you need help learning to hometest, feel free to PM me for my phone number. I'd be more than happy to come and help you.

22. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN) Member

Hi Arleen, DH, and Kitty,

DCIN may be able to help you. Please send me an email at Venita@dcin.info.

What is Diabetic Cats in Need? We help diabetic cats and their people. We support diabetic cats in their original and adoptive homes, rehome unwanted diabetic cats, and help to educate caregivers on the appropriate treatment of diabetic cats.

23. Arleen

Arleen New Member

TO EVERYONE THAT HAS BEEN SO CONCERNED AND HELPFUL!

We honestly were at the point of no return and got nothing but bad news from our Vet. Just the night before last after no Insulin, we were told to start her at 3 1/2 and that night she started to crash for the 2ND time...However, this time we had the Karo syrup on hande and managed to pull her out of it. We finally got our Glucose Test Kit late yesterday. My husband managed to get it on the first shot! We did it again and so far 2 times today. Then we are to talk to a New Vet and find out with giving him the numbers what to do.

We really gave up on the fact that there was compassion and humanity anymore. All you folks touched our lives as well as Kitty and gave us hope. Needless to say our crummy Vet was wrong again saying we could not do it. It takes us both, but it has not been very hard at all.

Again, we can not thank everyone enough and will definitely keep you guys posted as well as what you guys write. All of our thoughts and prayers go out to you all.

Arleen, Dominic and Peenut

24. Traci and Boomer

Arleen!!!!! That's WONDERFUL!!!! I am so happy you posted again. Thank goodness. I'm sure lots of people have been concerned.
    What were her numbers??? Please continue to post. We can walk you through every step. Remember - even if you get a new (nice) vet - they usually have limited knowledge of feline diabetes. We are here to help you!!!!

25. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Arleen, it would help us to help you if you would post what insulin you are giving her. Also, if you go down a bit on this thread, look for the post by Anne & Muffin. She said she would be able to come over and help you with the testing, etc. Above this page is "User Control Panel (0 new messages)" Click on that you and can then send a PM or usually on a post someone has written you should be able to see a little icon that says pm......click on that, write what you want and then hit submit.

I am so glad to know you caught her going hypo again and were able to help her and I hope the new vet works with for you. Please let us know.

26. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Wonderful news Arleen!

I do hope the new vet turns out better, but even if it doesn't you and your kitty will be fine. Many people have treated their cat with a meter, the insulin, and the help of this board.

Hometesting can be so intimidating and so scary at first, and definitely frustrating at times! But what I found it is it also adds such a sense of knowledge and we are better able to control things (well maybe that's a delusion when a cat is involved :lol: ) but I think you know what I mean even with a few tests, to actually be able to see on that meter what is going on before your kitty is feeling the effects of too much insulin. I think hometesting is the piece that give us that "I can do this" moment.

Hang in there. Talk to your new vet. Keep practicing the testing. Look around the site for tips on saving money on the everyday stuff. Hopefully soon we will be celebrating your kitty's remission or regulation with you!

27. Suzanne&Grey

Suzanne&Grey Member

Yay for home testing success! Let these folks help you with a spreadsheet next! From there, you'll be able to collaborate with a competent vet. Oh, don't know if anyone mentioned it or not, but carry your BG testing stuff with you to the next appointment. When he draws for blood, use your glucometer and compare to his reading. Do that for a while so you have an idea of accuracy and can even BETTER help your Kitty.

So thrilled for you and Kitty!

Suzanne

28. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Good suggestion Suzanne! I want to share something learned from another new person with a new vet lately. Have the vet use your ear poke blood to compare the meter readings. REASON: If the vet uses a vein draw, his meter number will be different than if he uses a drop of the same ear blood you use. Human meters are made for capillary blood (ear), you can't use the vets drawn blood and get an accurate reading either because it's venous blood.

HUGS!!!

29. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

omg! sooo glad to see the home testing post! YOU GO! and now Kitty is sooo much better off... and can be treated correctly! JUST SOO HAPPY TO SEE THIS POST! Bringing tears to my eyes.

30. Jenn & Baxter

Arleene, Dominic & Peenut,

Your update is fantastic news! I'm so glad you got your BG meter & been using it. It's ok it takes you & your husband to home test. There is nothing wrong with that. The 3 of you are going to grow a special bond.

Peenut has wonderful parents. He is going to feel better very soon & be forever grateful.

Like everyone has said, let everyone help you on the MB & keep us updated.

Jenn & Baxter
    cat_pet_icon

31. Punkyp

Punkyp Member

Arleen,

I live in Rocklin & can help you too with anything you may need. I help run a local rescue Kits & Kats in Roseville. Who was your moron vet so I can make sure to never recommend our people to him? I have excellent vet recommendations for you too if you are interested.

32. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

I'm as happy as can be that you caught that problem before it happened because you're home testing now. I'm sure that made you feel better about the whole thing. I hope the new vet is a good one. Please keep us posted.

Traci, I'm sorry it took me so long to reply. I just saw your note about Merlin being asthmatic also. It's always great to know someone else with the same problem. The same goes for you. Feel free to pm me anytime.

Melanie

33. Arleen

Arleen New Member

OUR UPDATE AND STORY ON PEENUT.

Again, we can not thank everyone enough for their input and help. We were a hair away from putting Peenut down until we came across this Board. I extend my deepest apologies fortaking so long to get back to the Board. We have a new Vet who has been absolutely fantastic!!!!!! She has 2 Diabetic Cats of her own. After the time of having Peenut on the 3 1/2 Units and her going into another bad situation, we did not have her on Insulin for about a week or so. Once the new Vet got our records and reviewed them all (From both the ER Vet in Loomis and the local Vet along with the Glucose readings we were doing at home ding so monumental, we did not realize how critical it ws until we came across this board) She suggested that we change her diet first, mainly another thing we were not informed of, we had always free fed and then our old Vet just said to give her 1/2 can of WD in AM and 1/2 in PM. The new Vet felt we were starving her by jumping to that, so along with that, we give her 1/4 cup of WD kibble at Noon and that seems to have helped a great deal. The new Vet suggested we start her off at 1 Unit in the AM and 1 Unit in the PM. However, we tested her and she was 300 plus and then after giving her the first dose of 1 unit, we tested her a couple hours later and it dropped to 53!!!!! The Vet was floored and amazed. Therefore, we adjusted it and now we give her 1/2 a Unit in the AM and a 1/2 a Unit in the PM if her level is above 200, if it is 200 and/or below, however now she wants us to give her 1/2 unit either way. We were over testing, but currently we test her perhaps 1-3 times a day but her numbers jump up and or are low but the noon feeding has made a huge difference. It seems to be working at this point. In addition, when she was on the high doses prior, she had the runs and the Vet said it was not due to the Insulin. (Of course this was the first Vet) telling us it was probably a parasite and it would cost $38.00 to get a feces test done. We did not do that due to our fixed income as I mentioned before. Well, ever since we started decreasing the amount of Insulin she was getting , she has not had it since. Our biggest question and concern now is will she get better? Or are we just extending the inevitable of having to put her down?

Now, to share our story in hopes of helping others that are in our boat or similar as far as funds and feeling helpless. Read and follow the advice of this site!!!!! It really saved our life and our Peenut. Plus, for the Glucometer Relion that you get through this site, the strips, lancets, alcohol swabs and gauze can be purchased at Walmart very inexpensively. Originally, when we started we were both horrified, we would get nauseated and literally our hands would tremble prior to testing her......I swear to you, this only lasted about a week to a week and a half. Then it became as easy as petting her, of course she is a very tolerable and great kitty-which helps a great deal. We use the cat nip toy that came with the kit through this site as her treat. However, I do not know about everyone else, but we first tested her every 2 hours to get a curve as to were she was. Then, every odd move or motion we would test her, so I think we were over testing because we were a wreck, but that too has toned down considerably. We are so very, very happy to have our playful, joyful and loving kitty back.

If anyone has any questions and we can help, please feel free to email us.

Thank you again,

Arleen, Dominic and Peenut

34. Jenn & Baxter

Hey Guys!!!

So good to hear & read such a positive update!
    You are doing great!!!
    Keep testing & giving the insulin. 1/2 is not very much & it hasnt been very long since DX. Who knows with all your hard work & diet change, soon kitty might not need inulin anymore. The diabetes will be controlled by diet. Doesn't that sound terrific!
    I won't think about or question putting kitty down at this point. Her body is responding very well to insulin. She can live a very long happy life with diabetes even if she doesn't go into remission.

Keep doing what you are doing because its working!
    Congratulations!
    Jenn & Baxter
    :YMHUG:

35. squeem3

That's great news :thumbup

What insulin are you giving your cat? I know this has been asked several times. There are a few different insulins that can be used for cats and each has their own unique way of working. The board can better provide help and support for you if we know what insulin your cat is getting :smile:

36. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

You are doing great and that was a fantasic update...as far as will she get better...she is already better! Will she ever not be diabetic...well no, once a diabetic always a diabetic, but even as a diabetic she could very easily become diet controlled and not need insulin.

My Maxwell is a diet controlled diabetic and he hasn't needed insulin in over a year. My little Musette is insulin dependent, but that's okay, she is healthy and happy and living a good life like all her furry siblings here except she gets two tiny shots a day. Although Musette started out on 1.25u of Lantus she is now down to a fat .5u twice a day, and with any luck eventually she will also be diet controlled as well. But even if it never happens for her, those two little shots are such a small price to pay for years of love that she will provide my family. :D

The same for Peenut, she may become a diet controlled diabetic or she may stay dependent on insulin, either way you have a lot more years ahead of you now to love, and cuddle with her. :D

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

37. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

HOW ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does the heart good to see the miracles that are worked on the FDMB daily!

celi & binks

[​IMG]

38. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

A lantus kitty that has been regulated for 8 years just celebrated turning 20 the other day, diabetes is not a death sentence if managed correctly.

You may find you can get even better results on diet alone if you get rid of the dry food altogether. You will also save yourselves a fortune if you use low carb wet food from the supermarket instead of the WD. Appropriate foods can be found here http://binkyspage.tripod.com/canfood.html you want food with a maximum of 10% carb but most people go for less than 5%. Vets generally will not recommend foods that aren't scientifically tested (they feel that they can't) but the results of the thousands of people on the board speak for themselves...

If you are using lantus feeding several mini meals a day or free feeding (if Peenut just eats what she wants and leaves the rest for later) is best, Vyktor is on lantus and he free feeds. If you're using a different type of insulin then the best feeding schedule may also be different - see why we need to know which one it is!

So glad to see your update and know you have got to keep your little Peenut :D My heart was breaking for you when I saw your original post.

39. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

What wonderful news to see!!! :RAHCAT
    You parents are the best and Peenut is still with you! What a blessing to have him be able to continue to show you his love!
    You just made my Saturday much better! :lol:

40. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

saw this and thought it was purrfect for the post here
    lets see if it will work!

Attached Files:

41. Arleen

Arleen New Member

Thank you all for your responses....The last thought in our mind is putting her (Peenut) down. We love her and her sister to death....(Bad term) Her sister can be free fed, but we feed her up high so Peenut can not get at it. Peenut, however needs to be fed only a quarter of kibble mid day, otherwise we were starving her because we used to make sure her bowl was full all the time. Sorry for not answering the question asked prior, but we have her on 1/2 Unit of Pro Zinc in the AM and the PM. We were over testing her, poor little thing with her ear, now we mainly test her if we notice odd behavior and before we go anywhere to be sure she can be left. We do not leave for any length of time. She and her sister both basically found us as they were strays and have really brought a ton of love to us and our life. Peenut is much more playful and her back legs are stronger and I can not tell you how ecstatic I am to hear that we will have her for at least a few more great years.

By the way, the pictures posted are adorable! Thanks again,

Arleen, Dominic and Peenut. Buddy says thanks too, because I am sure her life would have been majorly affected if Peenut left us. She was found a year prior in the Bay Area were we used to live and one would think they are from the same litter. That is how close they are.

42. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

It sounds like you have made lots of positive steps.

Why does she need to be fed kibble? You can free feed wet low carb. Some of us freeze it and the cat can eat it as it thaws. It might bring her numbers further down.

It sounds like you started on a nice low dose and she is responding.

Can you get you to set up a spreadsheet so we can see how she is doing?

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207

It's a great color coded tool that shows you how she is doing. It's also a great way to communicate with your vet.

43. squeem3

ProZinc is a good insulin choice :smile: There are many members here who use it. How are you measuing half a unit? With U100 insulin syringes? I don't think U40 insulin syringes or the special ProZinc 12 unit insulin syringes are available with half unit markings.

I would still continue to test before giving each insulin injection, just for the peace of mind. Sometimes a diabetic cat will have a lower than normal bg for some reason and you don't want to blindly give insulin and risk a possible hypo.

44. Arleen

Arleen New Member

Hello Everyone...

I am so ashamed of myself for lack of update. However, other than our Diabetic Kitty, we have another Kitty. She has been small all her life (6 1/2 lbs) She had gotten really sick. She is finally herself again. She is about 13 and was also a rescue Kitty. She is all kitten at heart, jumps, runs, plays and goes crazy.

Back to our Diabetic Kitty which of course you all know we were a day away from putting her down, until we found all of you on the board that saved her life as well as ours. Again, I can not thank you nor apologize enough. Anyway, we had gotten down to 1/2 Unit once a day for a bit and then we stopped because her numbers were fairly low. SHE NOW HAS BEEN INSULIN FREE FOR 32 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!! Although, our Vet did inform us it could come back......Her numbers have been great...

Thank You Again,
    All Our Love and Prayers,
    If anyone has questions or needs help verbally and we can we will
    Love Arleen, Dominic and Peanut

45. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

WOOHOO!!!! Welcome to the Falls!!!!

What and absolutely wonderful post to start the morning with!!!! And honestly yeah the diabetes may come back at some point but until it does there is no reason to worry about it as long as she stays on a low carb diet. My own Maxwell was 24 hours away from death when I adopted him and this November 1st we will celebrate his 2nd year OTJ!

This is exactly the kind of post that all newbies need to read. Thank you so very much for sharing yours and Peanut's story. I'm so happy that you listened to a bunch of strangers on the internet and kept you love and let us help you help her. :YMHUG:

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

46. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

[​IMG]CONGRATULATIONS! [​IMG]

Well, done! And good for you rescuing another kitty on top of it all! :D :D :D Peenut will always be a diabetic and need the low carb foods, but those same low carb foods are best for all cats. So it doesn't need to a hassle feeding different things. Keep testing occasionally too to keep track of how things are going and catch any changes early.

47. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY TEARS!

48. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Wonderful, wonderful news....another life saved by FDMB !!1

49. Jenn & Baxter

Arleen...so good to hear from you & with this wonderful news!!

I remember when you first posted...all I can say is WOW & CONGRATULATIONS!! party_cat

50. Pumbaa

Pumbaa Well-Known Member

I read this entire thread today, what a wonderful story!!!!!!!

Arleen and Dominic went from looking for a new home for Peanut, due to financial constraints, to caring for and testing Peanut, and getting him OTJ in 2 short months, once they found these boards and everyone pitched it to help them figure out how to deal with Peanut's diabetes affordably, without having to give him away!!!!

Rebecca, thank you SO VERY MUCH for establishing and maintaining these boards!

51. Arleen

Arleen New Member

Thank you so much!!! OH GOD, absolutely we still test here and there and weigh her. Just to be on the safe side. She plays like crazy too, which is so awesome to see.

Love you all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.