Nervous about next dose

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JennRoss86, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

Grey is 2.5 hours away from his PM shot of 0.5 and his +11 from today just read 102

Do you think it's still safe to give him this dose, I'm worried it may bring him too low?

Help! See SS

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You gave him 0.5 u on an AMPS of 116 and he was fine. I’m confused: you say he’s 2.5 hours away from his PM shot and his +11 is 106. The +11 test is done one hour before the next shot. If he doesn’t rise much above 106 you could stall for up to 30 minutes without feeding to see if he’s rising. You can shoot a full dose on these numbers with Lantus because onset is slow. He’s also shown you he’s staying flat.

3. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

I see what you're saying and that makes sense. I think what I meant to say without explaining was I gave him his dose at midnight last night, but then at 10:45 this morning (because I had to be at work at 11), so I'd like to wait again until midnight which technically is stalling I guess? Sorry, I'm still getting used to the TR stuff! Thank you again for all your help.

4. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

How is curve going, don’t see anything on spreadsheet for today, just checking on you guys

5. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

Aww you're so sweet! Just did my AMPS and it is 108! He's eating with his civvie now and my next test is due in 2 hours. I started at 12 because I'm trying to be strict about the 12 hour dosing schedule. Should I put all the curve readings in the AM side? Thank you!

6. Bellasmom

Yes, I would cause u start urs at noon rigjt and pmps is midnite

JennRoss86 likes this.
  7. Bellasmom

Awesome amps!

JennRoss86 likes this.
  8. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

Yes, noon and midnight (or 12:00 and 00:00)

It seems weird, but I'm a hospitality manager so unfortunately my hours are late night sometimes. However, I just adjusted my work schedule to allow me to be home around 12 noon just to keep this TR going. I also finally just sent my spreadsheet to my vet. I was on the phone telling the vet tech who knows my cat very well about his progress and she couldn't believe it!!

Honestly, I wanted to tell her that vets and vet techs should know that diet changes so many things for animals and people... so....

Bellasmom likes this.
  9. Bellasmom

Oh I know, i had 3 fat cats and they all have lost weight, more energy, their fur is like cotton balls and I probably stopped the other 3 from getting it, so Bella’s diabetes prob stopped them and it made them more healthy, 1 thing I’ve learned of I ever get another kitty it will be on only low carb food, you are doing great!

JennRoss86 likes this.
  10. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

Thank you!!! I agree! My other civvie is loving this new food, so I'm probably saving her as well! Just got the +2 and its 103!

GO GREY!

Bellasmom likes this.
  11. Bellasmom

I’m rooting for him

JennRoss86 likes this.
  12. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

Thank you! I'm anxiously awaiting for my vet's response. Hope your babies are doing well :)

Bellasmom likes this.
  13. Bellasmom

2 have vet appt sat
    Recheck thyroid and 1 see what's going on with runny poop and puking

14. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

Aww well keep me updated!!

Bellasmom likes this.
  15. Bellasmom

16. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

Thank you! I just did another one and he's 72!

I just got back from getting copies of vet records too! Going to add his first UA in here somewhere soon.

Bellasmom likes this.
  17. Bellasmom

Doing amazing, have him talk to bella, would you lol

18. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

Aww, I'll ask him to give him some pointers! hehe, maybe they should skype?!

19. Bellasmom

They should, oh he reads what I write cause every time anyone threatens a increase he goes green lol so now i lock my iPad lol lol lol

20. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

:joyful::joyful::joyful: bahahahaha that's hilarious!!

Well we're 7 hours in and his numbers are inching up every hour, so I feel like his Nadir was 71, so long as the curve keeps going up. This means I should increase his dose 1/4 to 0.75? I'm assuming...

21. Bellasmom

Here is all if it increase and decrease, maybe print it out alot do.

INCREASING THE DOSE:
    • Hold the dose for 3 - 5 days (6 - 10 consecutive cycles) if nadirs are less than 200 before increasing the dose by 0.25 unit.
      • if your cat is new to numbers under 200, it is recommended to hold the dose for at least 8-10 cycles before increasing.
      • when your cat starts to see nadirs under 100, hold the dose for at least 10 cycles before increasing.
    • After 3 days (6 consecutivecycles)... if nadirs are greater than 200, but less than 300 increase the dose by 0.25 unit.
    • After 3 days (6 consecutivecycles)... if nadirs are greater than 300 increase the dose by 0.5 unit.
    REDUCING THE DOSE:
    The TR Protocol is an aggressive method in itself. The modified version of the protocol is slightly more aggressive. Let's keep all our kitties in the Lantus & Levemir ISG safe by suggesting and taking appropriate reductions.
    • If kitty drops below 40 (long term diabetic) or 50 (newly diagnosed diabetic) reduce the dose by 0.25 unit. If kitty has a history of not holding reductions well or if reductions are close together... sneak the dose down by shaving the dose rather than reducing by a full quarter unit. See additional notes in the next paragraph about drops into the 20s and 30s. Alternatively, at each newly reduced dose... try to make sure kitty maintains numbers in the normal range for seven days before reducing the dose further.

22. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

Perfect! Thank you! I remember reading through this a couple of days ago, but my brain hurts from all this new info!

23. Bellasmom

I saw the free lantus thing, did u yake script to pharmacy with ur kitty's name on it?

24. Bellasmom

It's not asking for birthday maybe I'm at wrong thing

25. Bellasmom

Oh wait I do now, did u fill it out with ur cats info the name address form

26. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

I originally took script in from vet to fill the Lantus. But when I came back for my next bottle, that girl helped me get the free one!

27. Bellasmom

Do i fill out the form using bellas info

28. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

The pharmacy has my name and address and my cat's name is Alex Grey. So maybe they think he's a person? haha - but also, the pharm tech said that they aren't really checking for that ever, just wanting to know if the patient is over 18

29. Bellasmom

Cool thanks

JennRoss86 likes this.
  30. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

I'm guessing next time you go for a refill, just ask about the Lantus deal and then ask them to change the birthdate. It seems sketchy, but it worked!

31. Bellasmom

What pharmacy did u use, Walgreens, CVS

32. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

Publix

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.