Never tested before just bought ReliOn Confirm

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laura bb, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Just bought ReliOn confirm at wal mart and test strips. I forgot to get disinfectant wipes. Should I wait to test? I`ve only seen the vet do it once. Very new to this. Nermal is too skinny for him. 11 pounds, used to be about 15. and I'm nervous. Hes on 1 unit twice a day of lantus and got diagnosed Friday. The vet told me he was about 420 bg monday and he is completely switched to Fancy Feast high proyrin low carb. Supposed to give another dose in an hour

2. Uno's mom

Uno's mom Member

Hi Laura and Nermal! I also use the Relion Confirm meter. You should test right before feeding and giving insulin. Try to give him his insulin shots at the same time every day. I was super nervous in the beginning too. Treats and praise help. I use the lancets freehand; seemed easier for me. Take a deep breath, try to relax - you got this!

Laura bb likes this.
  3. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Im so nervous my vet is closed now. Without the disinfecting wipes?

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You don't need to worry about disinfecting his ear before a test nor do you before a shot. I guarantee this will be a lot easier more quickly than you think. :)

SpotsMom likes this.
  5. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Disinfectant wipes may be counterproductive. If it’s rubbing alcohol, kitty probably won’t like the smell. If it’s some other disinfectant it may cause issues with the test. I don’t use anything, just wash my hands!

6. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

No wipes needed! The needles are sterile, and I'm sure you'll wash your hands. You are good to go!

7. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

I have a Relion Micro, and I freak out too! I bought 2 boxes (200 count total) alcohol wipes and I found at first I might not need them, but then when I started I found.... I NEED THEM. I wash my hands before testing but I have to pet, love, scritch, groom soooo much... my hands start to feel abit ichy even though Fena had been bathed and she's clean. So I use the wipe on my hands once I have her calm and relaxed - or if it doesn't take much for her, I'll use one on my supplies. Outside of bottles, kit bag, etc.

So long as I don't waft the smell by her face, she doesn't care - she's starting to learn, "Oh okay my Mom's nervous and this is the smell, eh, whatever" - I swear that's the look on her face. I do 2 pokes because I'm still really new at this and.... Fena doesn't care. Literally. She's more interested in my hands or what I'm holding, than the "sticks" - which has its own problems, believe me! Same thing for her insulin shot - bright eyes, happy face/ears/whiskers, she just.. goes with it, but I'm messing with her, so she's happy.

Course I have problems... that happy can mean paws, etc. as she thinks I'm playing or it's a game, etc. for testing especially - not shot, surprisingly.

One weird trick I've learned? Does your cat like ear cleaning wipes? Fena LOVES the hell out of them - if I use one of those, her eyes close, she drifts off in this weird daze.. and I can test, no problem! Maybe buy ear cleaning wipes? Anything I do with her ears, she loves - kisses, lipping, nibbling, finger rubbing - if I do it long enough I can put her to sleep, I don't know why. Mao is getting to that point to and I'm SOOOO happy since he's the "sensitive" one, just in case.

Speaking of which I need to update my damn spreadsheet, grrrrr - I forget that! I have my results in my notebook, but forget to update online. :banghead:

PS - point of note! For Fena I've noticed, if I finger the edge of her ear enough I can FEEL the vein - most say to warm the ear and poke but I think they leave off the FEEL part sometimes. If she won't hold still for my small flashlight, I "feel" her vein - where I feel her heart beat after a lot of rubbing, I go to the edge and less than 1/2 inch of where I felt the pulse - usually above where I've been rubbing. Human nurses say the same - watch what fingers you use to test pulse/blood/vein. It's true!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Reason for edit: I just stuck myself, a minute trace of insulin I got - fabulous. *sigh*
  8. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Help dont know how to read meter it said 41

9. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

41 is NOT good - you have a Relion Micro? Below 50 is hypo - how long ago did you feed, what did you feed, what insulin name, what dose?
    Anything below 50 on a human meter is not good, anything below round abouts 69 on a pet meter (AlphaTrak) isn't good.

10. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Calm - breathe - stay with me, ok? Stay with me. If you can answer my questions, I can better help you - BUT if using a human meter, at 41..is this your first reading/test? If so, take it again. If it's under 50, stay calm. Tell me what the numbers say/answers, ok? Your baby will be ok.

11. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Laura, listen to me if you see this - test again, okay? Tell me what it says. If it's under 50, human meter you need to up your babys blood sugar. Give him some high carb wet food if you have it, the more gravy the better if he'll eat it - if not, rub a little karo syrup, honey or maple syrup on his gums with your finger.

I don't know when you fed/shot, if he's still dropping or not... remember, breathe.. let me know, it's ok. :)

12. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

@JanetNJ if you're there, I'm here all night but night need some help on this one if you're able? Not sure who else to try and "call"..?

13. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Hey there im here. How long after the shot is the 41

Take another test and report what it is.

Jill & Alex (GA) and Sharon14 like this.
  14. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Not sure, I haven't gotten her to reply to me yet. :(

15. JanetNJ

41 is low but not scary low yet unless you are very early in the cycle.

16. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

This is something I can learn from too, from reading under 50 human meter isn't good - god bless you, hope Laura is still here? Gonna check other threads to see, one sec.

17. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

It must not be right because hes eating and walking around

18. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

That might not mean anything depending - can you test him again..? What's his insulin brand? What's his dose? What's he eaten? How long since his shot....?

19. JanetNJ

My cat was severely low with no symptoms several times. Once she read 30 on an alpha (under 68 is hypo). Doesn’t mean the cat is not in danger. The only way to know is to test.

20. JanetNJ

I am glad she’s eating... that will boost the number up. But please do keep testing.

21. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Thanks for hanging around Janet, I appreciate it. :bighug:

Laura, how's things going...?

Laura bb likes this.
  22. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

I dont think i did it right. I gave him 1 unit of lantus at 6:52 this morning. Was supposed to do it tonight. Going to wait to do anything till i take him to vet. They are sick of me calling everyday with questions. Im almost positive i did it wrong.

23. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Was he supposed to get 2 shots a day, 1 unit each..? THat's usually the way it works. So you gave 1 unit this morning, said you were supposed to, tonight at the same time - what happened? Did he eat? Did he get the shot, and at what time, if at all....? It's ok! There's no stupid questions here, please let us help you and Nermal?

24. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Laura, how's Nermal doing...? I know that name, from Garfield. *smiles* How're you both doing...?

Laura bb likes this.
  25. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Nermal seems fine i know im doing it wrong. Hes ate all day long a lot of fancy feast. As i speak he is scarfing food. I did it wrong again. I accidently stabbed myself with the lancet after pricking him. So no second time yet had to deal with pricking myself by accident. He just ate two cans of fancy feast. His and he finished the other cats too. FF beef and liver feast. He ate approx 2-3 cans earlier. He had one unit of lantus just before 7 this morning. Hes just jumped on my kitchem table and started grooming himself.

26. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Laura, I'm glad to see that he's not displaying symptoms. Please relax a little, learning to test at first can be a bit of a struggle. But you can't give up, testing is the best tool you have to keep Nermal safe. I would like you to try another test, but sing while you are doing it. It really does help, If you are nervous and jerky, Nermal is going to pick up on that and react accordingly. You are in charge here, so take charge get another test, just to reassure yourself. Practice make perfect. Tell us the number and what song you sang :)

Sharon14 likes this.
  27. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

He seems fine. i need a good video to watch of testing him

28. Idjit's mom

JanetNJ, who has responded in this thread, has a video in her signature. Watch that, it's a good one.

Laura bb likes this.
  29. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

He wasnt nervous. He just wanted me to keep petting him. i stupidly tried to put the cap on the lancett and pricked myself. Horrible thing to do to myself. Not supposed to do that now i know. His ears are light so i can see thru. I need a video or something on how to do this right. How hard is it to get an inaccurate reading?

30. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Thanks about to watch.

31. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Tonight, I stabbed myself with Fena's insulin syringe - LOL. I don't think I got any of it, aka a push on the plunger, but yeah. She zigged and I zagged and WHAMMO - my first time for it, and I'd joked in previous posts about it happening in the future too. You're fine, sweetheart!!

Idjit, thank you so much for coming in, and Janet too - god love this site, I swear it by every breath I take. xxxx

Laura if you'd like to talk to a fellow beginner, I'd be happy to? Just let me know. I'm still here all night. :)

32. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

I tested 11 hours and 45 minutes after the 1 unit of lantus

33. Idjit's mom

Uh oh, you aren't the first to do that! LOL It's rather a comedy at times with all the mess ups.

34. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Thank you. Ive been in tears every night over his diabetes. I never thought when i took him to the vet it would be this. I feel like its all my fault. I fed him purina indoor formula for years. Canned food was an every other day treat, he doesnt mind the switch. He always loved canned food. The more expensive vet i took him to years ago said his dry food was ok and i didnt need to watch his weight for his size-which was approximately 15 pounds then. Hes 11 pounds now. I keep wondering what is the quickest remission after starting insulin on lantus. I keep also wondering how high can blood glucose rise from a vet visit. I also keep wondering how low can it drop from switching to high protein low carbs from dry. The vet knows i instantly switched him from the day she told me. If i had to take a final right now on feline diabetes education i wouldnt do so well.

35. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Inaccurate readings really are human error, most times - make sure you study all the info. I follow fellow user advice here -

1.) Get kit, go to testing spot, get kitty or kitty follows.

2.) Settle kitty - pet, love, etc. Open kit - get out the meter, testing strips, lancets (and/or) lancet device.

3.) I put a strip into the meter just a little bit, not enough to turn it on and set it aside (close).

4.) For Fena, it depends - sometimes I use the lancet device and sometimes freestyle, depends. If she's hyper, I use the device - if sedate, I free hand (least so far, I'm still new at all this!) - her treats are Dr. Elsey's clean chicken kibble, 4-6 pieces ONLY.

5.) TRICKTIP - I don't know if this will help anyone else, but I raise my right hand/arm in the air and keep making/relaxing fists and with my left hand I gently keep rubbing Fena's ear - circular motions, light, friction. After about a minute or two, I use my right hand to handle her ear and I can FEEL the vein! NOT your thumb - your forefinger/middle finger - lightly clasp those tips to the INSIDE of the ear edge, apply pressure, back off, etc. and you can feel the "THUM'DUMP, THUM'DUMP" - you can feel it, it's faint, but there.

6.) Massage BELOW the "sweet spot" for poking, up TO it - a few times.

7.) Put a light, very light smear of Vaseline or Neosporin along the ear edge - THIN!

8.) Ready the lancet device or free-held lancet - drape cotton ball, cotton square, etc. over your finger to back the ear - take a few deep, even breaths - then poke TWICE if free handing (quick - no thinking, quick! poke, poke), 1 time via device along the EDGE. I say once for device because some cats don't like the noise.

---Fena jerks with the poke sometimes but she REALLY moves if I myself, get emotional - STAY CALM!

8.) Massage BELOW the poke point - massage UP, to form a blood bead. Push the strip the rest of the way into the meter to touch to the drop on the ear, or collect the drop on top of a clean finger nail. I've done both.

9.) My right hand ordinarily deals with the drop/meter, while my left clamps cotton on Fena's ear for 1-2 minutes, then I give her her treat(s)!

I've gone through the wringer getting ANYTHING to work, if you need help from a fellow newbie, please just ask - or of anyone, we're here for you!

36. Idjit's mom

Kicking yourself for feeding dry food is a waste of time and energy. Most of us did it and we can't alter the past. All you can do is now, and try to do better tomorrow. Since you immediately changed the diet, this also affected his blood sugar level. Testing is going to tell you how much, no other way to tell. There is no way for anyone to give you statistics on how low the BG will go, or what the quickest remission is. There aren't any statistics. Every Cat Is Different (ECID). Read the information here, learn what you need to do in case of a hypo, be prepared, ask questions here, especially if the vet is getting tired of your calls. That's why this board is here. Get your signature made, get the spreadsheet made and start filling in the data. It's very dangerous to keep injecting insulin without testing. We are here to help, but you need to provide the information for informed advice.

sherrib and Laura bb like this.
  37. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Yeah I was just joking not long ago that I hadn't done that yet, and now... WHAMMO, haaaaa! :rolleyes:

38. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Thank you. Maya Angelou quote really helped too.

39. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Oh honey, it's NOT your fault... you didn't know till now, did you? Hell I didn't! This has been my wheel house FOREVER - my hamsters died, new studies on bedding, my rats died, new studies on food and chemicals, my dogs died - THEN the medicines they needed came on the market, etc. This is my MO - always late, and I HATE it. And I mean HATE, sometimes it's only been 5 - 16 wks since a new medicine comes on board that could've helped my now DEAD baby. I'm sick to DEATH of having an animal sick and suffering and nothing can be done. Thankfully this isn't 10-25 yrs ago!

God I feel old.. but anyway, your baby CAN live a great life, let us help you!! Plse? God, let us help you. It's not hard, or really expensive, I swear. If you need to talk to someone about costs, I'm here - trust me, I GET IT. A bag of kibble, boom problem solved for 2 wks to a month... I get it. :(

40. Idjit's mom

Laura, it's been awhile, are you willing to test again and see what BG number you get?

41. Idjit's mom

Ok, I don't see you online at present, so I am going to call it a night and get some sleep. Keep testing Laura, have faith in yourself, it's up to you to take good care of Nermal and I know you can do it.

42. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

I just tested my Fena, she got fed and her shot at 8pm EST - it's now +5 and she's at 207. I need to update her SS, grr. But yeah, if you need help, we're here - we're all her. :coffee:

43. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Night sweetheart, have a good one!! :bighug:

44. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Thank you i appreciate all of your help. Trying to overcome fears of needles, get a little shaky.

45. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

I'm here! You're good baby, I can help you. :) I've been there, hell, still there in many ways!

Can you tell me how you Nermal is doing, NG wise, behavior..? Really you can talk to me, you wouldn't believe how stupid I normally come across but here's the thing - we love our babies right? Ask me, use me... whatever you need. :coffee:

46. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

I’ve been testing skittles twice daily for years and still poke my finger all the time LOL!
    The 1st day I switched skittles over to all can, his level dropped so fast and way to low and I had to rush him to the vet!
    I’m using PZI insulin, once I switched over to can food, Skittles went into remission pretty quickly, about 3 weeks. He was in remission about 1 1/2 yrs and then got a bad tooth infection and fell out of remission.
    When he went in remission, I was very strict. I got up at 4:00 AM every day to put up his food , went back to bed. Got back up at 6:00 AM tested him , gave insulin , put his food back out , went back to bed. ( got up again at 7:30 AM to get daughter up for schoool) then at 4:00 PM took his food away, tested at 6:00 PM, gave insulin & food.
    I need to get back strict like that again and maybe I can get him back in remission again. I still take up his food 2 hrs before I test, but sometimes I forget to do it by a certain time so he has to wait 2 hrs from when I picked it up so I can test him and give his insulin IF needed.

47. sherrib

I’m here to if u have any questions

48. sherrib

oh forgot to say this .... I freehand test, don’t use a light or put vaseline or Neosporin on him .
    But when I first started and until his ears got used to it, I used a warmed rice sock , warmed his ear and then poked him. Now his ears are used to it and bleed so much easier. If his ear feels cold, I hold it and warm it up a little.
    You will get the hang of this, I promise you will. And before you know it you will be a natural and you will be helping a newbie and telling them how easy it is and that they will catch on, etc.

49. sherrib

Are you testing BEFORE you give insulin every time? Also, you need to take his food away 2 hrs before it’s time for his test.
    Dosing without knowing his BG # is very dangerous, can be deadly.
    Just last week, if I had just gave skittles his dose without testing would have been very bad because his BG # was to low and if I had given him his full dose of insulin..... I don’t even wanna think about what could have happened

50. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Hey I can reply to this! YES! I've gotten Fena's ears too warm and still accidentally hit the vein - it freaks me, I'm sorry, the f*ck out! His ears are starting to bleed more and I freak out, thinking I've hit the vein, AGAIN.. but I haven't! If you have a good flashlight, small, use it...it helps!!! The more you see the ear in the light, the more you know it in our brain and don't need it - it's true!!

51. sherrib

I can see his pretty good , but even after all these years I get the vein sometimes.... it’s okay if that happens. Just after you get your blood sample , pinch the ear between your fingertips for a few mins and the bleeding stops.

52. sherrib

Also, the more testing and the longer you do this, he will bleed faster & easier . The ears “ get used to” the testing , this is a good thing for us because it makes it so much faster, easier and we (humans ) get less stressed out

53. sherrib

Off to bed, I will check back tomorrow.

54. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Night honey, I'm staying.. just in case. :oops:

sherrib likes this.
  55. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

I tested wrong i think i put too much blood on top of meter first time. Supposed to put just on edge i think? Going to vet tomorrow to ask questions. My vet is Cats Only they have really worked with me, i can tell they care unlike other vets that charge hundreds for each visit. Hes snuggling next to my other cat (Wednesday)now. Going to test as soon as they stop tongue bathing each other. Havent seen Nermal so happy for awhile.☺

Jill & Alex (GA) and JanetNJ like this.
  56. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Oh no, if you give too much blood on a test it doesn't hurt anything - too little though, yeah.

Hm, you don't have to ask the vet questions - honest, we're here. I've been to the vets a hundred times, plus research wise online. Can I say something..? If you're planning to test Nermal at home, he might not like it.. my vet didn't. Nermal's care is bar none, takes totally top spot - needs help. Just please remember us. We use vets too but we also know their weaknesses, their prejudicious... they can be .... bad.

We all need a vet though! Are you testing at home, or wanting to start...? The vet isn't the end all, be all. They help, but they're not divine.

Put your Nermal into our hands... I did... I did, I put my Fena into their hands and she's doing AMAZING and I'm crappy on updating her SS

57. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Honey, your baby can be FINE - please, you need to give this place a try. Or me. I'm not your average person, aka, I'm not... easy. I'm a bulldog, I hound and pick and stuff until I get answers. I don't apologize because I'm nice enough the first time. Let us help you. You have to breathe deep, and let go... let us help you. I had to do the same thing and it's HARD but you have to... we want you and Nermal to be happy, healthy and safe. Up to you honey. :bighug:

sherrib likes this.
  58. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

I'd love to get to know Nermal and his Momma... you do NOT have to lose him. :) Give us all a chance. Already we love you both. xxx

59. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

She said I could test at home. She cares. They have about ten cats live there at the vet-one is a diabetic, they roam around the place. There are some people that drive 3 hours just for her. She only charged $15 last visit which my other one would have done $200. She wants me there in two weeks unless hes under 200 bg and showing or showing signs of hypo, then call. My vet actually recommeded going on the internet to reasearch feline diabetes

JanetNJ and Jill & Alex (GA) like this.
  60. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Oh bless, I wish my vet was like that! Can you tell me, what Nermal's BG is..? I got you do 1.5 units Lantus morning and night, you love your baby... can I ask what the main problem is, beyond today....? I can tell you about me. If you wanna know. *smiles*

61. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Nermals blood pressure is normal for nermal! Over 200 I know. I didnt write it down due to i gave him insulin right after. I have a journal of what I`m feeding him and how much he eats and what location i give the shot and exact time. Also recording water and pee intake. Haven't slept much is probably why. Going to take a long nap. I appreciate everyone on this site.

62. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

I do that too! LOL. I have a three-ring notebook, and I record EVERYTHING - it helps! I'm glad you do this too. I'm not too knowledgeable about kitty BP but I DO know it can hamper the liver and kidneys, depending - so watch for that, maybe. I hear you on lack of sleep, it sucks but it's so worth it when they feel better. I don't know if you're like me, but probably - if they feel better/more like normal, the easier in my own skin I am.

My notebook, I record:

date, day of week - then "average water intake" aka if I see Fena at the water-pot. This is usually NEVER these days, since she gets so much whenever she eats, plus added to left overs, etc. but I'm unsure in the middle of the night.

Then times.

8am - 1 can food (how much she ate of it), how many times it took her to finish it, finishing time.
    -2 shot, meaning 2 units Prozinc and which side, high or low. She's REALLY hydrated now so tenting her skin has gotten hard, so the locations have changed just a bit, inches wise up or down, etc.
    -Miralax, I usually give 1/8 mornings. I drain some gravy/juice from the can and mix it in, then give it to her while I finish preparing her food (in processor with 3.5 tbs. water) and Mao's (spoon-smooshed with 1.5 tbs water). I give 1/4 Miralax in evening if I see her have a BM and it's firmer/harder, etc.

1:30pm - I give a "special can" now, for her and Mao. Usually new, like lately it's BFF Weruva, Wellness, TikiCat with 3.5 tbs water, 1.5 tbs for Mao.

8pm - same as AM but added to say, "leftovers plus _____" - what ever they don't finish, I add a 5.5oz can of Friskies to it, plus 2tbs water per side (2 sided food dish) for overnight.

Plus I note whenever she pees, the time, whenever she has a BM - I even "check it". For how good the litter sticks to it on the outside (stool), how much (I eyeball measure in inches per piece or use the tip of my thumb to my 1st knuckle for a 1inch reference) and then the "squish" - is it soft, firm, etc? If firm, I'll squish and "slide" my fingers apart to break apart the stool to check for hairballs, etc. Then of course, wash hands THOROUGHLY and note in the notebook.

I note behaviors too, when she goes upstairs (she didn't wanna use stairs for awhile), when she has the "zoomies" (hyper running/etc), excessive cuddling for her, grooming, etc.

I other words you're doing AMAZING, and you have good instincts - your baby has a GOOD Momma, god love you both! :bighug: Note everything, there's nothing too big or small to note down - but take care of yourself too. Nermal needs you, and I'm sure many others too. ;)

63. JanetNJ

That’s an extremely high bp. Could lead to stroke or blindness. What is he taking for it? When my Zimmy had high bp they put him on Benezapril and amlodipine. Went back a couple weeks later it was 180 so they increased the amlodipine. You want that number under 140

64. sherrib

How are y’all checking their Blood pressure ?

65. JanetNJ

The vet does it with a cuff they put on the leg... Much like how they do it for people. My vet tech takes like 5 readings then averages them.

66. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

I've never seen my vet take a BP reading. Should I ask for it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.