New and Improved Wysong Epigen 90 nearly killed my cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sandman, Apr 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandman

Sandman Guest

Life-threatening diarrhea and eventually emesis fully reversed when I stopped using their food.
    All 3 cats had done well on the prior formulation for years. Blood sugars for my sugar kitty were just fine.
    New formulation is a documented ferret-killer and since my review on amazon, many others have reported similar experiences.

Reported to wysong and the FDA, but no help from either one.

My original post in the Young Again forum:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/young-again-zero-carb-food.129774/#post-1398572

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Thank you for letting members know about the problems with this food.

3. rbrumbaugh82

rbrumbaugh82 Guest

Yeah I actually ordered this food and it was being shipped until I read some bad reviews on it and that the new formula was awful and since I had already ordered YA I canceled the order and now waiting for refund. IF its so bad then don't know why they still sell it or why they even tampered with the formula?

4. George and Bert

George and Bert Member

I just wrote about Wysong and another food that changed their formula a few posts down under FOOD FIGHT.
    If we don't band together on this we will continue to be abused by pet food companies. I guess my cats better get used to eating Core. What's with the Pork Consent in Young Again?

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. rbrumbaugh82

rbrumbaugh82 Guest

I didn't think Pork Protein Concentrate was a bad ingredient. I didn't think Pork was bad and its a animal protein and not a vegetable protein. May help to add flavor too since cats do like the taste of pork. Young Again to me is the best we can choose from if we want to feed dry food. If you take the time to read alot of their info and the testings they did on their own you can see that dry food does get a bad rap. So many people are used to hearing eating dry cat food is terrible and can dehydrate a cat. However, every single dry cat food out there you buy in stores is higher than 20% carbs and carbs is what hurts a cat and so if you are putting all those carbs into their bodies and they don't drink much, I can see the problems. Young again cat food is made better and so the urine specific gravity of their food is lower than most wet foods and the lower the USG is the lower chance they have of developing crystals and blockages. I think their food was something like 1.020 and most wet foods are like 1.035 and dry foods in stores is like 1.054 and higher. The normal range for specific gravity in urine is 1.015-1.050. So out of any food out there, they probably are the way to go even if I have to try hard to get my cats to eat it. They just want junk food and I can't afford to feed them the higher carb foods. Wet food causes them to have loose stools and sticks in their teeth and gums probably what caused bad teeth in the first place. Evo I wouldn't know the truth to that or the carb count.

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

It is normal and expected that the a cat's USG is >1.40. It gets lower when the kidneys start to degrade with age or other problems.
    A food does have a meaningful specific gravity. The ingredients in a food can affect the pH of the urine and pH is one of the contributors for the formation of urinary crystals and stones.

7. Sandman

Sandman Guest

I honestly don't know what ingredient wysong puts in that "new and improved" version that makes it so very bad. But I find it awfully weird they'd carry on & on about cats being obligate carnivores, then put chia seeds in this crap. Maybe it's just me.

All I know is I came home one day to find multiple pools of diarrhea out of the litter box in my place and to find my one poor kitty laying a fresh one right outside the litter box and right in front of my eyes (as if to get me to pay attention).

24 hours after switch to wellness core and all was well again. It was amazing.

Multiple others have had similar experiences, since then though perhaps not so extreme. You might read my review over on amazon in that regard.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R36F3D...ge=1&cdThread=Tx2YKTWP9ESVO9Q#Mx1YWGKPID1HGMO

Don't get me wrong... I used the old Wysong Epigen 90 for years without issues. My kitties loved it. And my sugar kitty had terrific blood sugars with it. A perfectly good solution to my cat's diabetes right down the toilet (pardon the pun).

rbrumbaugh82 and Critter Mom like this.
  8. rbrumbaugh82

rbrumbaugh82 Guest

Yeah I won't go for it. I am gracefully going to stick with Young Again Zero Carb original formula( not the Mature) and hope for results. I just can't see Wellness Core working even though most of my cats ate it. The carb count is greater than 10% and it has already spiked Pooper's glucose.

9. Sandman

Sandman Guest

I'm not advocating wellness core for a diabetic cat! It spiked sugars in mr. sluggo (my avatar) as well. But I needed something acceptable to all 3 fur-babies I could buy at an ordinary petsmart that wouldn't kill my cats while I tested the hypothesis "new and improved" epigen 90 was the culprit. I ultimately settled on orijen as a replacement which worked fine right up until the time sluggo developed oral problems and relapsed into florid raging diabetes again.

I just started all on YA zero carb and sluggo gets about 1.5 cans/day of the blue wilderness canned chicken pate (with fortiflora). I already had one fur baby come to me crying and pawing at my leg for something else (not sluggo, who eats the YA zero carb!). I slipped the other some orijen on the sly which he gobbled up. A candy bar addiction in a cat is a hard one to break!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.