New and looking for validation?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jessie's Girl, Jun 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jessie's Girl

Jessie's Girl New Member

Hi, everyone! My name is Abby and my cat Jessie (13 yrs old) was just diagnosed with diabetes yesterday evening. Since then, I feel like all I've done is research non-stop, and though I'm feeling overwhelmed, I am determined to do everything I can for her. Can anyone offer advice/let me know if my plan of action sounds good?

Before the diagnosis, Jessie ate a diet of some dry food as well as a can or two of Fancy Feast's Gravy Lovers. Now I know that she needs to be high protein/low carb, so I went out and bought some Fancy Feast Purely Natural, and tossed the dry food. My vet recommends starting her on twice-daily Lantus, but my new concern is that her previous blood glucose reading (above 500) won't be accurate anymore because of the new diet, and I'm terrified of Hypoglycemia. My plan is to wait another 4-5 days on this new diet, get her blood tested again, and then proceed with insulin from there? Or would it be better to just start now, on a very low dose?

I've read essentially all of Dr. Pierson's website, and I've got plans in the works to make my own cat food now. I'm very nervous about checking the blood glucose on my own and of injecting her, mostly because she is an intensely shy, skittish, and anxious cat. Of my whole family, I'm the only one she trusts to pet and cuddle with her, and I'm worried she won't take well to being injected, especially since I won't be the only one doing it. Can any owners of anxious cats offer advice?

Thank you so much for reading!!

<3
    Abby

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Abby and Jessie. I'm so glad to know that you are researching for information to help Jessie with the diabetes. Yep, it does feel overwhelming at first, there is a lot to learn. But the information and support you are asking for is here.

Many of us that fed dry food, even with a combination of wet food, found that gradually transitioning the dry food out, and adding more of the low carb wet food was the answer to that problem. That helped avoid gastrointestinal issues, and the poor kitty asking "where is my food?"

It is true that immediately eliminating the dry and wet high carb food is going to reduce the blood sugar. Testing is the best way for you to determine just how much, and if you take that course while starting the insulin therapy, it's very important to test to see if it's safe to inject, and how low the insulin is taking Jessie.

Other factors are what kind of insulin, what the dosage is, and we need to check to find out the carb % of the canned food you have. Jessie's initial BG at the vet may have been stressed influenced and this can often result in a higher starting dose than needed, but with the BG of over 500, she might need to start insulin sooner than 4 or 5 days.

We would like to know more about Jessie and this information can be available whenever you post if you will create a signature:

Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

If you can get that set up we can go on to help further. I would like to have you post in the Main Health forum HERE as there are more members who monitor that forum and can help answer your questions and concerns. If you like you can just copy your message here, start a new thread there and paste. You can copy and paste the link to this thread also, so other members can read what I have replied. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-and-looking-for-validation.215985/#post-2395377

We can offer more diet and transition information, links to testing and what supplies are needed, encouragement, input and suggestions on how to integrate this new adventure into your life. We know you are nervous about injections, testing..well the whole ball of wax, because we've been there. I remember it very well, including spending many, many hours researching into the wee hours, not resting very well and not functioning as well as usual. So, take a deep breath, let us help you learn the steps to the "sugar dance" and Jessie to better health and well being, so you can rest and relax a little bit, OK? :cat:

Jessie's Girl likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The best thing you can do is learn how to home test. Then you will know for sure if she's high or low and if a dose is too high or too little. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

500 is pretty high... I wouldn't wait too long before starting the insulin, but changing the food is a very good idea. Save the gravy food, you will need it is she is low and needs a boost.

Jessie's Girl and Idjit's mom like this.
  4. Jessie's Girl

Jessie's Girl New Member

You are so kind!! Thank you so much for the advice. I have added my signature and will post in the Main Health Forum.

Luckily, Jessie has always preferred wet to dry food anyway, so transitioning her to this new wet food shouldn't be a problem for her. Dr. Pierson's website said that every flavor of the "Natural" Fancy Feast line, which I think is actually the Purely line, has 0% carbs and over 70% protein.

If stress can influence BG, then I would be shocked if it didn't for my kitty; she is such a scaredy cat. I will buy an at-home glucose meter ASAP so I can check it when she's a little more relaxed.

5. Jessie's Girl

Jessie's Girl New Member

I watched your video and it was extremely helpful! I will try to do it just like you did - thank you so much! Your kitty seems like a total sweetheart :)

6. Peacock

Peacock Member

Welcome Abby. It looks like you have taken in a lot of info already, and have a pretty good handle on getting started.

There are so many variables to deal with in treating feline diabetes. I try to spread out the changes I make, so I can see how each one impacts the kitty over the course of a few days, and work out the kinks before I move to the next change.

It is good to set up a home testing routine as soon as you can manage it. It is good to pick a place you can use consistently and comfortably. Avoid using places she likes to lounge or cuddle. I was using a desk for a while, then switched to a coffee table, where I can be seated and at ear level with the cat. She gets tested, fed, and shot in that place, and hops right up for the routine. That's actually why I had to stop using the desk for testing, since she would jump up onto it every time I sat there.

If I was at the beginning, I would probably start with a human glucometer rather than a pet meter. The test strips are much more affordable, and lots of people on here use them so they can help you as you learn the ropes.

7. JanetNJ

She really is. She's very cool about the whole thing. Some of my others would be a much bigger struggle. Lol. You want to aim for the sweet spot. 639BEF59-98E3-4A9E-8D3D-6FF486A58B60.jpeg 3419DF4C-66C9-4FA3-AE5E-44765D7ECD87.jpeg

8. Jessie's Girl

Jessie's Girl New Member

Thanks so much! I will try to find a good spot - I think the struggle with Jessie will be that if we're not actively having a "cuddle session" in one of her spots, she's averse to... pretty much any kind of touch. I suppose she'll just have to get used to it!

Do you have a recommendation for a brand of human glucometer? I feel pretty out of my depth looking at all of the options!

9. JanetNJ

No sorry I use an Alphatrak which is a pet meter. I chose that because I like having the same readings as my vet. To offset the cost I often use freestyle insulinx strips in it.

10. Jessie's Girl

Jessie's Girl New Member

Lol, I'm sitting here getting her used to having her ears rubbed! She's not exactly a fan but I'm sure she'll get there. Luckily her ears are practically see-through, so I can see the sweet spot you're talking about.

upload_2019-6-22_19-46-43.png

JanetNJ likes this.
  11. JanetNJ

The first couple weeks cc didn't care for the test... I have her a favorite snack (cold cuts) only at test time and she quickly grew to not mind. Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.