New and need assistance!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Karen2, Oct 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karen2

Karen2 New Member

Wow. I can't believe I am here..... again....7 years later.......

I rescued a cat from Animal Control on Sunday from being put down. I was only going to rescue him to find him a new home! I noticed he was drinking a lot of water. Took him to vet.... vet called.... diabetic! Cost $200 to have the test and vet check... which was already a stretch for me..... Need to adopt him out because I travel a lot and can't keep him and my other cat does NOT like any other cat.

Vet said there is a $250 insulin that has a chance of getting regulated. Didn't get the name because I went into shock already. Then said Lantus was less expensive...

He is the best cat. The best! Only 8 years old. Had a rough life already. How can I find him a home now? I am crying so hard.... I've been through this 7 years ago with my other cat who is now gone......

Here is his photo....

Attached Files:

2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

How wonderful that you saved this sweet boy. Hopefully, you will be able to find him a forever home. Where do you live?

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to the message board, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!). This saves you the cost of going to the vet for curves and done regularly, removes the need for a fructosamine test. All of our insulin guidelines use human glucometer numbers for reference.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet. Food changes should be gradual to avoid GI upsets - 20-25% different food each day until switched. There are 2 low carb, dry, over the counter foods in the US - Evo Cat and Kitten dry found at pet specialty stores and Young Again 0 Carb found online.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir. No insulin lasts 24 hours in the cat, so giving it every 12 hours is optimal for control.

4. Karen2

Karen2 New Member

I live in Orlando. But I have frequent flyer miles and will bring him to anyone who will take care of him. He is the, the , the best cat I have ever met and I've had 12 in my time.
    He gets on with other cats, kids and dogs. He is a prince of cats. God bless all my cats, but he truly is special.

Thank you for all the info, BJM. I did have a diabetic cat and am familiar with all the testing, curves, etc. But things have changed in 7 years apparently and the insulin is now a mystery to me. Mine was on Humulin something. I was very very committed to him. He lived 18 years! But my job and everything in my life now has changed and I cannot keep the baby. I want to!! but I can't. I just wanted to rescue him first!

Attached Files:

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you get the food switched to low carb, that may reduce his glucose 100-200 mg/dL.
    Vet stress has been shown to elevate the glucose 100-180 mg/dL, too.
    So getting some home tests may find that he could be diet controlled.

6. Karen2

Karen2 New Member

I am unable to afford Lantus. But I hear it is the best. Is BCP/PZI the next best? it looks more affordable. I am having trouble finding info on the site for some reason on the nest if not Lantus and best places to order. Thank you!

7. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Here is where many get their Lantus insulin. Mark's Marine

It is in Canada and cheaper.

8. Karen2

Karen2 New Member

Thank you..... very helpful!

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.