New at this and feeling defeated

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jsanderson0508, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsanderson0508

jsanderson0508 New Member

My cat Kayla was diagnosed with diabetes earlier this summer. Being that I'm a lab tech and understand diabetes and the treatment extremely well, I wasn't too worried about the treatment. I knew I would do what needed to be done so she could get back to her old self again. First, we tried a diet change, which was helping. However, in August, she stopped eating and by the time we were able to get her to the vet, she was in full blown DKA and had to be hospitalized for a couple of days, and of course started on insulin. Learning to give the insulin shots honestly hasn't been too bad. But what I wasn't prepared for was the sticker shock, the strict schedule and trying to get her regulated. After started her on 1 unit per 12 hours, we took her back to the vet for her glucose curve, and I wasn't prepared for the $80 cost- as well as being told that once she has been on the new dose of 2 units per 12 hours, we should bring her back again for another glucose curve....and another $80. Needless to say, this has prompted me to want to do home testing, and I've even bought the supplies and read up on it. But if it were only that easy.....

On top of having a newly diagnosed diabetic cat, I also have a one year old daughter. On nights when my husband has to work and it's just me, my baby and my furbabies (a second cat and dog in addition to Kayla), it is total chaos when it comes time to feed EVERYONE (and there is NO waiting, since everyone knows its dinnertime) and trying to give Kayla her insulin shot. I get it done, but it is mentally exhausting hearing everyone (baby and animals included) crying. And then as I'm trying to get the baby to sleep, Kayla (who acts like she is still starving) is rummaging through the sink, the trashcan, on top of the fridge, anywhere and everywhere that she thinks she can even find a crumb. It's beyond frustrating, and I know she needs to have her glucose curve evaluated again and possibly her insulin dose upped again. But I can't stomach another $80 for a vet visit, but I haven't had a day off that I've been free to try home testing. I know that once I get her regulated, it will be much better, and everyone will get used to the schedule, including myself. But it has just been building and building until I'm so defeated that I just want to give up on Kayla altogether, and it breaks my heart to say that, but I have way too much on my plate already to be dealing with all of this. I'm sorry for the long rant, but please, someone tell me that they have been here and it has gotten better...

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you're going through this, and I do understand. I don't have a new baby, but I am alone and have a lot of cats who don't understand this new way of life. Breakfast especially is hard. I am barely awake while I test Colin, my diabetic, then start feeding everybody. All I can tell you is that, for me, it has gotten easier. I have found routines that work, and some that don't, but the cats are getting used to the routine. We still have days though where I wonder how much longer I can do this. But those days are getting fewer. What are you feeding Kayla? One money saving tip is to bypass the vet prescription food and feed a low carb wet food such as Fancy Feast Classics. It will be easier to regulate Kayla if you can start home testing her too. That too gets easier the more you do it. Please post here with questions. A lot of people here have given me ideas on how to manage and I'm sure they can help you too. It helps to know you're not alone.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi to you and Kayla and welcome to FDMB.:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    We have all been there and I promise it gets better. It is always hard in the beginning when we are learning how to test and manage everything.
    Having to pay 80 dollars a time is outrageous for a curve. Once you learn to test you will be able to test your self for just the cost of a strip!
    I will write another post with some information in it for you.....but just wanted to quickly to say hi and welcome.
    Hang in there. You have a lot on your plate and it probably seems all too much at the moment but it will get much easier.
    Could we know your name please and what country you live in? Thanks !
    Back before long :)

Sharon14 likes this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi again!
    Here is a link to show you how to test the blood sugars. Remember it is going to take a week or two before both you and Kayla are used to it and her ears have learnt to bleed. Most of us have shed tears when learning how to do it, but it very quickly becomes old hat!!! So don't feel defeated at the first try.....remember we have all been there.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/testing-and-shooting-tips.85113/

Here is the link to set up the spread sheet to record the blood sugars. If you are having any trouble with it, post and someone will help you....I needed help setting it up!
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Here is a link to what to do if Kaylas blood sugar should drop too low. Good idea to print this sheet out and put it on the frig so it is there if you need it.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

Here is a link to a food list with amounts of carbs. Look for wet food with a carb amount of less than 10% . Most of us use about 4 to 6 % food.
    http://www.catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf

Not sure what you are feeding at the moment but if you are feeding dry food, DO NOT change over to low carb wet food until you are testing the blood sugar, as the numbers can drop a lot and if you are testing , you can keep Kayla safe.
    The reason she is so hungry all the time is because her body is unable to process the food properly at the moment so she need extra food. Feed her all she wants at the moment. Once her blood sugar levels get under control, she will feel less hungry....what she is doing is normal for diabetic cats who are not regulated yet.

Sharon14 likes this.
  5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

There are some Secondary Monitoring Tools linked in my signature. These may be helpful in assessing any of your pets, as well as your diabetic cat. Thirst and appetite, urine volume and ketones/glucose levels, and dehydration checks are all indicators which are likely to improve as you gain control of the diabetes.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  6. jsanderson0508

WOW- thanks everyone for your replies! I'll admit that I'm a bit embarrased at my "whiny" post last night, but it was really encouraging to see how helpful you all have been. I've heard this was a great message board, and now I see that is very true! I will definitely be sticking around for help- even set up my signature and Kayla's spreadsheet (even there's no data yet) thanks to everyone's help!

So a little more about myself, my name is Jennifer, I'm from the US (North Carolina). When Kayla was first diagnosed, she was on dry food, so we switched her to canned food to see if the lower carbs would help before starting on insulin. My vet of course suggested one of the prescription diets at $2 a can, but after doing some research on my own, I told her that it was not possible for me to keep feeding her an expensive diet with the possibility that I still might have to add on insulin. So I have been feeding her Fancy Feast Classics since June, 1 1/2 cans twice a day- she currently weighs a little under 7 lb and you can definitely feel ribs from the amount of weight she had lost before diagnosis. I asked my vet at her last visit if she needed to be eating more 1) to help her gain a little weight back and 2) since she is acting so hungry...but the vet insisted that I was feeding her plenty, and that the symptoms would improve as she became regulated, so don't feed her anymore. That being said, if I started feeding her more, how would I be able to have an accurate glucose curve?

I also have heard a lot about monitoring secondary signs, such as water intake, urine output, ketone testing in urine.....but I have 2 cats and a dog who all drink out of the same water bowl. How do you monitor water intake? And how do you monitor/test urine if there are two cats using the same litter boxes? Following Kayla around until she went to the litter box is just totally unfeasible for me as I see it now...unless someone has any suggestions?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    Reason for edit: Adding
  7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey Jennifer and Welcome! I started reading from you first post and please do not be embarrassed that you expressed your frustration; we have all been there! I understand the meal time chaos as I have another civvie cat and two dogs and no one gets fed until I have tested Bubba and he is a shootable number( which is incidentally the number you want to use for a new diabetic cat is 200) And I have two dogs whining and two cats circling me in the kitchen like sharks. It does get better when you get into a routine.

The home testing is so important as since I have joined, you would not believe how many people had numbers that were too low to shoot and if they had not test they could have put their cat in grave danger. There are many meters. There is a pet meter called the Alpha Trak2 and human meters. Some use the pet meter because it is what the vets use so the numbers will match up. The meter and strips are expensive though. Most of us use human meters that can be purchased at any pharmacy. It typically reads a little lower than the pet meter but we have ways of compensating it. Many use Walmart's brand, Relion Micro or Relion Prime, because it only needs a tiny drop of blood. The Prime testing strips are ½ the price of the Micro. The most important thing right now is to al LEAST get pre-shot test o keep Kayla safe. When you get the time maybe on the weekend, you can do your curve and then you can post again and the people here can help you with the dosing either up or down.
    I have the same problem with a community bowl. I add a little bit of water in Bubba's food every meal to help with that and I have a bowl down in the basement (his hangout) just for him. Also, I am constantly rubbing a finger across his gums to make sure they are wet for further insurance especially now that he isn't drinking as much as when first DX.

As far as how much to feed: You mention she was 7 lbs. Is that a good weight for her? If so the rule of thumb for calories for cats is 13.5 times their weight then add 70. So 7 X 13.5 =94.5 + 70 164.5 The Fancy Feast Classics are around 92 calories a can. . If you are feeding her 1 1/2 cans now, that is around 133 calories so you could increase some. If Kayla needs to gain weight, use the preferred weight to times by 13.5. Hope that helps.

She in on a mild longer lasting insulin which is good. You can post in the ProzZinc forum when you need dosing advise. If it is nighttime that forum isn't as active as we are a smaller group so you could post in Health also if you need immediate feedback. We are here to help so ask away.

8. jsanderson0508

Is this calculation per meal or per day? I'm feeding her based off of the recommendations on the can- 1 can per 3 1/2 pounds per day which would technically be 2 cans a day for her size, but I upped it to 3 per day to help her gain a little weight. And the vet said that for her size she really didn't need to gain much more weight, she was a little overweight before becoming sick.

And I'm also going to be using the Relion Prime meter- already purchased, just have to start testing. I haven't had any luck getting her to sit still long enough for me to prick her yet.

9. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

Hi Jennifer & Kayla
    Boy, you sure do have your hands full! I can totally relate to the morning feeding scene you described! Some mornings I totally resent the fact that I haven't even peed yet myself, or had even a SIP of COFFEE!! Grrrr. If I am feeling ambitious, sometimes I prepare the meal plates, cover, & refrigerate overnight. It's a balancing act, and depends on what YOU can personally do at the moment.
    Take heart little Momma! It will get better. You will discover what works for you & your household. And don't beat yourself up..you do what you can do.
    Now I see Bron has given you some links up there. When you have quiet time, take a look at them. As far as home testing...I have a few tips.
    It will GREATLY help if you choose a testing spot now. Maybe on top of a counter where you might have control of Kayla's movement. Maybe a couch corner where you can wedge her into, to restrict her movements later. Think about this.
    The key for me was to start fiddling with Tucker's ears BRIEFLY, cooing & praising. Trying to "desensitize" him to it. Next, I worked up to taking him to the spot whenever I could, ear fiddling, praise, TREAT ( low carb treat) and quickly RELEASE. Get her into the habit. It won't take but a few days. Keep calm, but firm. Cats can & will read us!
    I know you can do this, maybe when baby has nap time and when hubby gets home. It will make a world of difference when you finally begin testing for real.
    I acclimated myself with the glucometer in my "spare time" (LOL). I tried pricking on myself several times just to learn the readings and their meanings..and to get a clue on how physically I would juggle cat, test needle, and glucometer. I ended up using a pillow as "kitty" just to go through a dry run or two. I learned alot!
    It really helped me to have confidence in my skills before I tried to wrangle Tucker for real! The prepping really paid off.
    It was quite beneficial to buy a dollar store plastic container to keep all my testing supplies, including TREATS in one place!
    Just try these things when you can - it will come together for you.
    You can do it.:bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.