? New BG # @ 10 PM

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by sherrib, Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

First, I never left this board once skittles went into remission, I usually just read along and occasionally post when I think I could help somebody. Now onto the reason why I am posting

First I guess a little background, skittles was diagnosed and October 2015 and on December 5, 2015 he went into remission. I have continued to do testing and his spreadsheet is up-to-date except for the very last test I did A couple hours ago in which he was at 359

Now that we are up-to-date this is what is going on the last couple days I have noticed when I did his BG test that his numbers were going up, way up compared to what he has been running. So I made an appointment with a new vet and he was seen today. The vet and I both agree that we think his BG levels are up because one of his teeth are infected. I have never taken him off of canned Friskies, But I am awaiting the new list to see if the ones I have been given him are still 10 carbs and less. The vet started him on medication for his infected tooth and told me that if his BG got to 350 or above to give him 1 unit, twice today. It has been so long since I have done this that my brain is very very rusty and I really need to be freshened up so please refresh my memory as if I am a newbie.
    Here are a few questions ;
    1. Is my bottle of insulin still good, it was opened in December 2015 ( a year ago ) and I used it a few times. It has always been kept in the back of the fridge and when I take it out and look at it ,it is still clear but I do not mix it up to see what it looks like then. The expiration date on the bottle is April 2017. My new vet in a hour away now. Remember the awful experience I had last year. If not I guess everybody can reread my old post ?

2. Do I wait until he reaches 350 to give him one unit, I remember it being a lot lower before. Keep in mind that he does have an infection in one of his teeth and is on medication ( 25 mg of Zenequin )

3. Do I go back to pulling in his food and only feeding him twice a day if or when I have to give him insulin.

4. Do I go back to getting up and picking up his food two hours before his AMPS?

5. Has the spreadsheet format changed in anyway over the last year? I am in the US and I use a human meter.

Since it is very close to my bedtime and he hasn't needed any insulin in a year, I feel to uncomfortable given him any insulin tonight since I won't be able to watch him to see how he reacts. I will check this post often before I go to sleep and first thing in the morning before I do anything. I am really hoping that the only reason why his BG are up is due to his infection and that he has not completely fallen out of remission and once his infection is gone that he goes back into remission. I know he will need a full dental and that tooth will have to be pulled but sadly at this time I am still not working and cannot afford it. I'm actually going to freak if I'm told that his insulin isn't any good anymore, because I have no idea how I'm going to be able to get a new bottle.( I used my auto & renter insurance money to pay for his vet visit today , and now I'm praying my insurance doesn't get canceled ) I hope a lot you remember me from the last time I went through this if so then hopefully you remember my health problems and how I have not been able to work. I had to move in November and I am starting to feel better and I actually had a job interview and I'm awaiting to see what happens with that , And if you remember me then you also know that I have the worst luck possible, here it is that I possibly have a job and now this is going on with skittles, and we all know how hard it is to work and have a diabetic cat at home . Like I mentioned earlier in this post please refresh my memory on everything that I need to do, I do not mind if you talk to me as if I am a complete newbie and have no idea what I'm doing. Because if anybody remembers I constantly second-guess myself when it comes to my own animals even though I am very experienced with Working with animals and have been in the animal field for over 30 + years and I am a certified wildlife Rehabber. Also remember that i'm awful at proofreading before I hit that send button LOL!

I wish I could say that I'm happy to be back, posting for myself and I know nobody will take offense to this but I really wish I wasn't

2. Pati

Pati Member

Hi Sherri. A couple of things I can comment on. Somewhere on the forum is a link to calculating the carb content of a food. You could search for it and check the food you've been feeding to see if it has changed.
    If you are going to test AMPS and PMPS then yes Skittles needs to not eat 2 hours before those tests. That way the BG number you get has not been influenced by food.
    I can't answer whether you should wait to start insulin until after the tooth infection clears up. As to whether to use your old bottle if you do start him on insulin I suppose you will be able to see if it is still good by the effect it has on his BG. Because of the $ I would try it. Maybe someone more experienced could chime in whether there would be any harm to using it.

3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Sherri! I do remember you! Always glad to "see" you but sorry it's under these circumstances. Trust me, we don't take offense at all...we all wish no one ever had to come here other than just to catch up!

Let's see, as for the insulin, I really couldn't tell you if it's still good or not. If it's clear with no floaties in it, I suppose you could try it and if it doesn't seem to be working, get a new bottle. Sometimes insulin does sort of lose potency over time, but I don't have a lot of experience with that...Gypsy used up her bottles fairly quickly!

Looks like you've been hitting reds lately? He's been pretty consistently over 350 lately from your SS...I'd probably start him if it was me. It's possible he'll just need a little "push" to get back down to remission levels, but the sooner you start the more likely you are to get him there. The infection could certainly play a part in this, and probably does, but I just hate to see him in higher levels. How does he seem to feel? More litter box usage, hungrier than usual, etc? @Sue and Oliver (GA) @Kris & Teasel want to weigh in here?

Food: yes you can feed him twice a day. I can't recall for sure, is that what you did before? Mine have always grazed, and when I had Gypsy, I just picked up food 2 hours before AM and PMPS so that it didn't affect those test levels. You're feeding wet, low carb, correct? Do you have a timed feeder? Could use that to help you get some sleep...set it to an empty spot 2 hours before AMPS so Skittles can't get any food!

Spreadsheet is exactly the same!

I know it stinks having to be back, but we're here to help, just like before! Do you have Care Credit? Can't recall...I've used it several times for my little ones and it's a life saver as it's 0% interest for at least 6 months...if your vet accepts it and you need it, you can apply and be approved same day. Also, if it turns out you can't afford new insulin and need it, there's DCIN. They can likely help.

I don't want to overwhelm you with too long of a post and have to head to work...what other questions do you have? Remember to BREATHE...you've been through this before, and can do this again.

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Sherri, I agree with everything Rachel said, and add that you should test for ketones if you aren't already. An infection and high BG's can aid ketone development.

Rachel likes this.
  5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I replied on your other thread but as these folks here have said, you could try giving a dose from the full bottle you have to see if it helps. Because ProZinc is translucent after you mix it carefully it's hard to assess for floaties, etc. If the colour is still good (milky white), there are no clumps and you can re-suspend it with careful rolling to mix it, it might be OK. In a pinch it's worth a try ...

Rachel likes this.
  6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I am sorry you are back, but hope we can be of some help. It sounds like you have two issues - insulin that may not still be good and infected teeth. Does your vet (or a colleague of his) have a newer vial - even if it is already partially used-'that they might let you have? Will your vet let you pay for the tooth extraction over time?

If his tooth is infected, then you may be giving him insulin but the main problem remains. If you get the tooth fixed, he may not need insulin or at least less or for a shorter time. I would shoot under 250 and monitor carefully. And try to find some way to get his tooth fixed.

I understand the money issue. Have you looked at this thread? As Rachel said, Care Credit might be an option.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/financial-help-links.131190/

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  7. sherrib

Hey y'all and thank you for the welcome back :arghh:
    I have no choice to use the insulin that I have already and just pray that is still good

So y'all would shot at what number? Isn't shooting at 350 and up only kinds high?

I'm getting ready to test him and see what's going on. Be back with the results soon , in the mean time I hope a few of you can give me your feedback on the shoot number

8. sherrib

Wow $155.00 for a new bottle and it has to be order a month in advance! Last year at my old vet, if I needed it they had it on hand and it was $100.00

The staff said my insulin is still good since the expiration date is in April. I told them that it's been sitting in my fridge for a year and that I used it just a handful of times before skittles went into remission, and the bottle is almost full. I guess the only way to know is in 2 hours to see where his BG is at. I gave him 1 unit at 10:30 because his BG level was 436!

How often should I test today?

I guess it's time for me to change my signature :arghh:

9. sherrib

Is insulin working?

AMPS= 436 gave 1 unit , let eat ( 10:30 AM EST )
    +2= 401 ( no food since 10:30 AM EST )

10. Pati

Pati Member

Probably too soon to tell. Try midway through the cycle to see how low it drops him. A cycle is 12 hours so try somewhere between +5 to+7. I know you are anxious to see if the insulin is any good. Fingers crossed for you.
    AMPS - test, feed, shoot (if high enough to give insulin)
    Mid cycle test how low he is going
    PMPS - test, feed, shoot (if high enough to give insulin)
    Mid cycle or before bed test

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  11. sherrib

Thank you so much for your help! I'm very worried and I'm worried about my insulin. It now cost $150.00 and I really really do not have any money. I can't even pay my auto insurance this month or even get the medication I need for myself . ( I will be very sick soon, or worst. I have high blood pressure, thyroid disease among other health issues )

12. sherrib

Wow! Look at skittles numbers

AMPS-= 436
    +2= 401
    +6.5= 124

To make sure I'm got this right here are the times ( Eastern standard time zone )
    10:30 this morning =436
    12:30 this afternoon= 401
    7:00 tonight = 124

Sharon14 likes this.
  13. sherrib

What is the name of the thread for the carb count? I've been using the list I started using back in 12/15. Has it changed for Friskies in the last year ?

14. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

If you go to search at top right corner of page, looks like a magnifying glass, and look for Friskies threads

15. Kris & Teasel

Well, I'd say your insulin is working just fine! :) That lowish nadir (if you're even there yet) suggests you might need to lower the dose a little. It'll be interesting to see the rest of today's numbers.

MiCo and Lisa and Smoky like this.
  16. Kris & Teasel

I checked above and you said you gave 1 u this AM, correct? I don't think Lisa saw that. If you reduce the dose, you could try 0.5 u or 0.75 u. Do you have half unit marks on your syringes?

17. Lisa and Smoky

I agree with Kris about lowering the dose for skittles.

18. Lisa and Smoky

Thanks Kris
    I meant to suggest 0.5 unit dose for skittles.

19. Lisa and Smoky

Looks like skittles is doing well on the insulin. Great job with the testing and go skittles for getting such GOOD numbers.

20. sherrib

I don't have my 1/2 unit needles, at least I can't find them ( moved and still have stuff packed up )

Yes, he got 1 unit this morning. His first dose of insulin in over a year!

Should I even give his PM insulin?

It seems the meds for his infected tooth is working good!

21. sherrib

He should be getting his dose in least then a hour

22. sherrib

Both my cats are begging for food, but I can't feed yet until I test skittles PM BG. I still don't know if I need to give his PM shot or not. Waiting on some advice

23. Kris & Teasel

What is his BG right now? Need to know that to advise.

24. sherrib

Hold on a min, it's time to test. Please refresh my memory, @ what BG level do we usually give insulin? For the life of me I just cannot remember right now, his new vet said give him insulin at 3:50 and above but I don't recall it being that high of a number a year agoa year ago

25. Kris & Teasel

We usually say NO insulin if BG is below 200 until you have lots of data to refer to.

26. sherrib

He is at 126 :)

I do remember this being a no shoot number

27. sherrib

Is it possible that the only reason he " relapsed" was due to his tooth infection and can he be back into remission after just 1 unit of insulin ? ( Yes, I'm reaching here ) or maybe his Friskies formula changed so he was getting too many carbs ?

28. Kris & Teasel

This is too low to shoot.

29. Kris & Teasel

Hard to say. You need to gather BG info for a few days I think.

30. sherrib

he has over a year worth of data on his SS

31. sherrib

I definitely will. It just really sucks right now that due to my health issue that I have very bad brain fog and can't seem to remember anything. This is been going on with me for three weeks, I will be seeing the doctor next week to see if we can figure out why. So this relapse is so much worse since I can't remember stuff

32. Kris & Teasel

I should have said data right now with his current dental issues.

33. Lisa and Smoky

Wow. 126 is a great number to have.

34. sherrib

LOL, I understand

35. sherrib

Thank you!
    How long does his numbers need to be bad to be considered out of remission ?( For example , he needed to have good numbers for 2 weeks straight to be considered OTJ )

36. Kris & Teasel

Try asking this on the "honeymooners/OTJ" forum (last on the list of forums).

37. sherrib

Shoot, didn't even Think of that. See this is just an example of how my memory is just not working right now. I don't know if this is ever happened to anybody here, but it is a very scary experience

38. Pati

Pati Member

Stress doesn't help memory so take a few deep breaths. Just follow the procedures and no need to worry. You now know the insulin may be working or the med for his tooth is helping. Be patient. You can't really predict what is going to happen right now.
    AMPS test, feed, shoot if over 200 (per Kris try .5u)
    Mid cycle test to see how low he drops if you gave insulin
    PMPS test, feed, shoot if over 200 (per Kris try .5u)

39. Pati

Pati Member

Try this calculator. Others will chime in if there is a better one.
    http://fnae.org/carbcalorie.html

40. sherrib

How do I use this? Meaning, the carbs aren't listed on the cat food

41. Pati

Pati Member

You don't fill in the green sections. Just the beige color. It will calculate the carbs.

sherrib likes this.
  42. sherrib

@Rachel It is nice seeing you again. I am so sorry I haven't posted that to you sooner. I am just so disappointed do you have to be posting again about skittles. I have still been reading and helping others when I can though

43. sherrib

@Pati , thank you for the link. I am going to try to use the info to figure out the carbs on Foodlion name brand pate food.

44. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Aw Sherri, we totally get it. I always hope that folks won't have to start posting again. We do very much appreciate your help, though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.