new cat food question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SuePea, Sep 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuePea

SuePea Member

I ran out of my stash of 9 Lives Special Diet and there is no more to be found anywhere. Curse you, Purina! I went through all the stuff I could find on carbs and phosphorus (at Charlie's age I worry about the phosphorus) and picked out Dr. Foster and Smith's Chicken recipe canned food & ordered a bunch of it. But I just realized that their numbers on catinfo.org are a good 3 years old and I don't remember how to figure out what the carbs are from the "guaranteed analysis" thing on their page. BJM, I know you're good at this stuff.. did I do the right thing?

JohnZ likes this.
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I'm still at work. When I get home, I'll see what I can do.
    (Anyone else want to pitch in?)

An estimate may be calculated by these steps:
    First, enter the numbers in this calculator to get the calories from each of protein, fat, and carbohydrate.
    Second, divide the calories from carbohydrate by the total calories and multiply by 100. That's your estimate of the percent of calories from carbohydrates.

If you can get dry matter numbers from the company, your estimate will be better.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  3. SuePea

SuePea Member

They do list dry matter numbers on their website, so that's probably what I need. I got some good tips off Tanya's website as well. Oddly enough, 9 Lives has a couple flavors that will work at least part of the time.

4. SuePea

SuePea Member

5. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Usually I just email them and ask for the % carbs by calorie, but I realize you might need the info quicker than that.

6. SuePea

SuePea Member

I used the calculator that BJM posted and got what I wanted. They are very low carb and in a good spot for the phosphorus as well. And as costs go, it's pretty good, about 90 cents a can. If you order enough at once, you don't have to pay shipping.

7. SuePea

SuePea Member

has anyone noticed that 9 Lives is becoming difficult to find? Most stores sell almost every possible Friskies formulation, but few if any 9 Lives. Do you know if Purina is thinking of dumping the 9 Lives line?

8. jane and stewey

jane and stewey Member

My cat does well on either Friskies or Fancy Feast...pates only! Anything else and her sugars go wacky. I tried Sheba pates...her sugar soared. She will be 12 in December and has been on wet food only since May of 2014. Good luck from Jane and Stewey.

9. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

My local ShopRite always has a lot... Walmart as well- although sometimes they have limited flavors.

If you haven't already seen it- you may find the 9Lives wet food chart I put together helpful- link-

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f2fCxyttT_Ivh_nZyJ1Dm9pIBTzHWLc_okeCuFNjkxA/pubhtml

:):cat:

10. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I found them at Family Dollar. They had large cans (13oz) as well as the 5.5oz cans. Several flavors and good price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.