new diabetic cat mom :(

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rain7, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rain7

Rain7 Member

My 14 year old boy, Jerry, was diagnosed with diabetes during a senior check-up on Tuesday. I was and am a bit overwhelmed, as I imagine most caring cat moms & dads are. I have had him since he was a baby. I haven't any human children. Jerry's brother passed away last October from a tumor. It has been just me and Jerry for the past 7 months, oh, and we also live with my un-supportive husband, too. He thinks an animal shouldn't go to the vet unless they are about to die, which is what happened with George, Jerry's brother, last October. That's a different story for a different time. I have put in several hundred dollars so far, for the initial check-up, full labs, insulin, (Vetsulin, unfortunately, because I wanted Novolin), syringes, and a glucose monitor, which has yet to come in. I have given Jerry his third shot (as of a few minutes ago) this evening, and thus far, he seems to be fine. He does seem to also be drinking less and peeing less, but still plays with his favorite toy, and eats normally (although I have diminished his usual grain free food in favor of more Sheba.) Instead of only feeding him Sheba perfect portion in the evening only, I am now feeding him one in the morning, and the same amount in the evening. I am mostly scared of his glucose going too low or too high at any point during the day, and with me at work all day long, he will be home alone. I know to only give him the 1 unit of insulin after each meal (morning and evening), and he seems to have tolerated it well so far. But without the glucose monitor in yet, I don't know what his glucose is, so that scares me. I am supposed to take him back to the vet on June 4, to get the glucose tested and go from there. I don't think I can wait that long to have his glucose tested, with giving him 2 units of insulin every single day. (That is 1 unit, twice a day.) Plus, they are going to want MORE money from me, so I am going to call them tomorrow to see if they can mail the glucometer to me, which they did show me how to use, and that way I can test it at home. Anyway, I don't have any real friends, just ones online, so here I am, reaching out to people who understand what I am going through, since I have nobody else to talk to about it (except the vets/assistants.) It is really emotionally (as well as financially) taxing to me so far, and I imagine it will only get worse from here. I'm just a scaredy cat, no pun intended, because my cat, Jerry, isn't scared one bit. He is the most wonderful and docile beautiful, brave cat (besides his late brother), that I could ever ask for, and he sure doesn't deserve this cruel disease. It just makes me sad. I guess I'm just venting. Thanks for "listening", whoever reads this.

2. KJC80

KJC80 Member

Welcome! My boy, Toby, was diagnosed this week, too, and I'm a wreck. The people here are very supportive and kind. You'll find an abundance of information to help you through this stressful time.

Rain7 likes this.
  3. Rain7

Rain7 Member

Thank you so much! Oh, we have a lot in common...Your cat's age is around the same, they are both of Vetsulin, and they were diagnosed within two days of each other. I am so glad I discovered this website/forum. I saw it through diabetic cats of instagram today, and it has already been helpful. I am so sorry about your cat's diagnosis, too. It is a disease that never truly goes away, until the cat dies, so all I can hope for is to eventually (hopefully sooner than later) get him in remission with diet change, to where I don't have to give him these horrible shots. It definitely hurts me way more than it hurts him. He doesn't even flinch, but I cry and flinch, etc...I try real hard to be calm around him while administering the shot, of course. I have to try to at least act strong around him, because he will sense my anxiety, and believe me, it is very high right now. I really hope that it gets easier. I guess practice makes "perfect", as the saying goes. I suppose I'll be a pro in no time, but it certainly isn't anything I ever wanted to be a professional at. I know that goes for everyone on here. Thanks again for your message!

4. KJC80

KJC80 Member

You're absolutely right. This is something I wish I never even had first-hand knowledge about. It's pretty much a nightmare for me. I feel awful every time I test his ear or give him his shots. I'm constantly worried and anxiety-ridden. Like you, I don't have children and I've had Toby for most of my adult life. I've been home with him since the diagnosis, but I have to return to work tomorrow. I'm dreading leaving him home alone for hours after administering a shot. I'm fortunate enough that I work very close to my home, so I can check on him during my lunch hour during the nadir of his insulin cycle. I've shed lots of tears these last few days, but I hear it gets easier. I just don't like to see him feeling unwell. There's also an element of guilt, because it's the food I bought that helped create this situation now. Just know you're not alone! I keep telling myself to take it one day at a time, but it's definitely been difficult.

Rain7 likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for the diagnosis but you've come to the right place. Novolin is usually shorter acting than vetsulin. Vetsulin tends to be a better choice of the two.

Diabetes is very treatable and not a death sentence. Cats can live many long healthy lives with it, just like people. It's expensive initially but not as bad later as you won't need a the expensive tests. Once I started home testing my cat didnt go back to the vet for a year. I just emailed my vet her spreadsheet every so often.
    You can also save money by ordering supplies online. I get my syringes and lancets through Adwdiabetes.com

You can get a cheap human meter at Walmart (most on here use Walmart brand Relion micro or confirm meter) if you don't want to wait to test. 1 unit is a good safe starting dose. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

Rain7 likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

It definitly gets easier! Try singing while you shoot. :)

KJC80 and Rain7 like this.
  7. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Jerry. Yes, it's upsetting and easy to feel overwhelmed. It's where most of us began. But, you have come to a community where there is a wealth of information, and caring, experienced and knowledgeable people. Take a look at the yellow tagged items at the top of the forums. Visit the Main forum, and the vetsulin forum, read the info and stickies (yellow tags). You can create your signature, the lines of info below each of our posts. This tells about Jerry, so you don't have to repeat that info. Look at the upper right hand corner, see Rain7, click and a menu comes up ,select signature. It can be edited at any time. You have taken the first steps to help your furry friend, good on you!

Rain7 and JanetNJ like this.
  8. Rain7

Rain7 Member

Wow, KJ that sounds exactly like what I would say, and how I am feeling. Unfortunately, I commute to work, and I can't check on him for at least 10 hours. That is going to be really hard, going to work tomorrow and not being able to check on him. And thank you, Janet for your helpful information. I have seen where Vetsulin is also for dogs, so it kind of started to make me wonder about it. However, I have also seen posts where cats do well on it. At least he hasn't thrown up yet. He does have a sensitive stomach, so I was afraid that he might. I guess when the Sheba is gone, I'm going to switch him to Fancy Feast Classic beef variety pack, since that has a bit more protein than Sheba. And thanks for the last message about singing. That is actually a very good idea, especially when I am still bleary-eyed at 6 am, which is what I will be tomorrow. I have to allow myself an additional 10 minutes in the morning now. He's worth it, though. I'll have to watch that video, too! I didn't expect so many messages so fast. This is very helpful to me emotionally, just knowing that I am not alone, and now I have a group of people who really understand and care about what I am going through. I realize it isn't the worst diagnosis, but it's pretty serious, and I am taking it quite seriously. I just uploaded a picture of my pretty boy.

KJC80 likes this.
  9. Rain7

Rain7 Member

Janet, I just watched your video. It was very helpful, and you seem like a pro. I guess CC has been diabetic for a while, huh? The kit that I have came with a clicker type lancet pen. I hope Jerry does well with that. Just like with everything else...we'll see. You seem like a very positive and upbeat person. I wish I was, but again, that was a very informative and helpful video. Thank you for sharing it!

10. Idjit's mom

Jerry is beautiful! No, you are most definitely not alone.

Rain7 likes this.
  11. Rain7

Rain7 Member

I just saw, CC has had it since May of 2016, so yeah, a while now. I'm glad she seems to be doing well. That's a good reading that she got.

12. Idjit's mom

Idjit was diagnosed April 3, not very long ago. We didn't have a clue if we would be able to manage. I was shocked at the initial expense. We got the wrong syringes, we were shooting blind :eek:, we tried to use the lancing device and it just wouldn't work. Talk about Keystone Cops meet Laurel & Hardy!!! We learned to test, give insulin, got him off dry food, counted calories, noted carbs, and serendipity happened. Idjit miraculously, in spite of us foundering around, is off the juice. I read the info here, asked questions, and encountered some absolutely wonderful people. You can do this!

Rain7 and KJC80 like this.
  13. JanetNJ

Cc was diagnosed two years ago so we've been at it for awhile. I used the Lancet device the first two weeks but found I could be more accurate withought it. Plus she didn't like the click. In glad you found it helpful.

Rain7 likes this.
  14. KJC80

KJC80 Member

Jerry is a beautiful cat!

Rain7 likes this.
  15. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Welcome to both of you. Yes, it is scary at first, yet it's so manageable compared to a few other diseases it could be.

It sounds like you have ordered a pet meter. Something to keep in mind is to always make sure you have lots and lots of strips at home all the time. They can not be purchased in stores. Once you get use to everything you can think about a human meter where the strips are so much more adorable and you can get in a store.

You can start getting Jerry use to the routine now. Start by deciding what times you will give the shots. Find one place you will do it. I put a throw rug on my table and test there. Put Jerry in testing spot and just rub his ears for a minute or two. Give a treat, praise him, talk to him. Do it for morning and evening times. I turn the beep off my meter, some cats get scared of it. I also free hand the lancet as the click scares them. I st alarm on my phone and when Olive hears it she heads to the table if not there already. The others know it's time to eat and are waiting for testing to be done.

You will do fine.

Rain7 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.