New diagnosis and nervous!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LemmiwinksMommy, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LemmiwinksMommy

LemmiwinksMommy Member

Hello everyone! What a blessing this message board as been! Our buddy Lemmiwinks was diagnosed on 4/26/16. He had all the normal syptoms...excessive thirst, excessive urination, lethargic, and his liter was sticking to his paws like crazy! We took him in immediately and our 13yr old, never ever sick, buddy was diagnosed with diabetes. We actually are bringing him home later today as his levels are stabilized.
    He will be on 2units bid of Lantus. I am so nervous to start this journey. Of course we will do anything and everything for our beloved big guy! Our vet told us it is not necessary to change his food. I am seeing however, that it should be changed from dry to wet food. knowing what I know now, I feel so guilty feeding him dry food all these years. I just am so thankful for this community. I just want to make sure I do what is absolutely best for him. Any tips/tricks or recommendations on food are appreciated. Thank you all for supporting us that are new and scared.

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Hello, this is the best place to be for help. Before you bring him home, pick up a meter. Do not change food until home testing is started. Even if the vet says otherwise. Stopping dry food will lower the blood sugar. It can be dangerous so you need to home test. I learned the hard way, Smokey dropped extremely low when I cut the dry food and was told monitoring was not necessary. I couldn't get to the ER which was where he needed to go. FDMB got us through the night and Smokey is here today because of it. In my opinion regardless what any vet says, testing is absolutely important if owners want their kitties safe.

Spunky's Mama and Critter Mom like this.
  3. LemmiwinksMommy

LemmiwinksMommy Member

I already have a meter, a medical journal, and shopped around for the best pricing for Lantus (in our area.) The pharmacy has it is stock. I am going to get him at 4pm today. I just want to make sure he has everything he needs. Thank you for the tip about changing the food...that is probably my biggest fear...the glucose being too low! I am nervous about constantly poking him, but whatever we need to do to keep him healthy and happy. He has a good demeanor, so I pray we can get into a good routine that is the least stressful for us both. Thank you so much!

4. Olive & Paula

Make sure you get a copy of the results they did. It will be extremely helpful for us to help you.

Once you have everything, come back here and we can help you get started. You won't be poking him constantly. There is a routine, and certain times you do test.

You can also get the insulin from Canada at more affordable price. You don't need the pen needles if using the pens, but you need insulin syringes, preferably the ones with 1/2 u marks.

Let us know when your ready to start

5. LemmiwinksMommy

LemmiwinksMommy Member

Great idea!! I will make sure I get a copy of what they did. Thank you so much for your help! We are off to bring him home!! Is there a certain thread or area to post in regarding getting started at home? I want to make sure Im posting in the right place. :)

6. Olive & Paula

Go the Lantus forum an start there. We will link this post to it. If there is time before next dose, we want to get some "housekeeping" done first so you aren't asked the same questions over and over. We will also tag Marj to get your spreadsheet up and running. It is extremely important to get that done.

When your ready post here your back and I will let you know how to put your title over in Lantus so we get many eyes on it right away.

7. LemmiwinksMommy

LemmiwinksMommy Member

Ok we made it back home! First thing I notice is he is still visting the water bowl frequently. Is that normal at this stage? Also, he has a bandage around his leg...is it ok to take that off now? My vet also told me to get my Lantus from Canada...has anyone done that and how has that worked for them? We do have a vile to start, syringes, meter, and karo syrup. Sorry for so many questions...I just want to get this right. They also told me not to test him at home with a meter...but Im going to. He has been sitting by the water bowl for 15mins. He has an appt Monday to go back to be checked.

8. Olive & Paula

So how did he fare through the ordeal? The thirst and increase urination is normal with diabetes as he starts to get regulated it will lessen. If you get a script you can mail, email or fax to marks marine in Canada. The vial will last for quite awhile.

First let's get thinks set up for you. When are you to give next dose? If Lantus it should be 12 hrs apart.

9. LemmiwinksMommy

LemmiwinksMommy Member

They said he was a pleasure to have there. He seems happy to be home. He is on 2 units of Lantus twice a day. His next dose is due at 9pm. I have a vial and u100 syringes. I am to give him 1/2 cup of his food and then give the injection. Can I take the bandage off? He keeps fussing with it? I'm assuming it's ok, it looks to be where they did his bloodwork.

10. Olive & Paula

It's okay to take the bandage off.

Then go your I'd (name) on the right side of the screen. There is a drop down box. Click signature.

Put kitty name, age, date of dx, type of insulin, the meter you are using, food your giving and any other medical issue if there are any.

11. LemmiwinksMommy

LemmiwinksMommy Member

12. Olive & Paula

Ok. Once you have that done. Let me know and we will move to other place and link this thread so it's all in one spot.

I'm gonna test mine and feed so give me a few minutes to get back.

13. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

A big thumbs up for your vet for suggesting this, Many of the US members order their Lantus from Mark's Marine Pharmacy in Canada. You would need your vet to send them the prescription or you can fax it to them. The best way to order is to order the pack of 5 pens..each pen is 3ml which means it has 300 units. You can use a regular syringe with the pens and do not need the pen needles. Kept refrigerated these will last you a long time and you will be able to use up all the insulin in each pen.

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Olive & Paula

Hi Mary Ann, glad to have another here. As soon as she gets her signature up, I'm going to direct her over to LL and link this post. Then get the testing video and ss up.

15. LemmiwinksMommy

LemmiwinksMommy Member

Ok signature up! I tried to fit everything...it kept telling me too long! Seriously though...it means the world to me...all the help!! :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  16. LemmiwinksMommy

LemmiwinksMommy Member

I have a script...it says Lantus insulin 100 units/ml (u100) can I get pens with that, or does the script need to say pens?

17. Olive & Paula

Very good, you are doing great. And I see your techy. That is going to help now.

So now over to what we call LL (Lantus Land).

If you can open another windo with this open its easier.

Go out to the forum page and click on Lantus/levemir title. Click create new thread. Put today's date, kitties name and in caps "NEW NEED HELP" to the left of the title is a drop down box, click the ? Don't click create thread yet.

Go back to this thread, copy the URL. Then go to new thread and paste. Then click create thread.

Only come back here if you have a problem. I will redirect everyone there. I go over and watch for you.

18. Olive & Paula

I think you can tell marks you want pens. Just so you know, I'm using a vial I started in January. So you have plenty of time yet.

19. LemmiwinksMommy

LemmiwinksMommy Member

Thank you so much!!!!!

20. Olive & Paula

You are so welcome. I'll talk to you over there.

21. LemmiwinksMommy

LemmiwinksMommy Member

Ok I think im over there...

22. Olive & Paula

23. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to you.

I just have to say that I think Lemmiwinks is such a cool name! :cool:

Wishing you and your darling boy great success with the Lantus treatment. :)

Mogs

24. LemmiwinksMommy

LemmiwinksMommy Member

Thank you!! I am so nervous!! It's like I don't want to let him out of my sight! He however...is like "Mommmmm, get out of my face!!"

Sarah Smith likes this.
  25. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Been there! :D

I'm sure you'll do absolutely fine! :bighug:

Mogs

26. Spunky's Mama

Spunky's Mama New Member

Within a week or 2 you'll be able to do what you need to half asleep! First week is the hardest for both you and kitty! I have a stellar vet, but one thing they hadn't trained me tricks on was getting blood which led to Spunky having super sore ears for the first week :S.

Warm the ear - you can use a warm wash cloth or a sock filled with uncooked rice that you nuke in the microwave. Hold to the ear for a minute or so as warm ears make collecting blood soooooo much easier! If you look closely at his ear around the edges, you may be able to see a bit of a bulge which is his vein. Prick there. If you can't see it - Spunky's ears a really furry so hard to see and she was really annoyed when I shaved them - prick close to the edge.

A cheap option I found for getting blood is lancets meant for the pens. Cost me $6-$11 C for a box of 100 which is definitely cheaper than the gauges they started me off with which was $30 for a small box. With the lancets, ask for the ones where you can pull the top off.

Takes a little bit before original symptoms (thirst, hunger, urination) begin to subside.

Lemmiwinks is gorgeous!

Critter Mom likes this.
  27. LindyKindy

LindyKindy Member

I felt the same when I got his dx and started the testing/shots. I found it veryyyy helpful to put a big pillow on my lap and he was more comfortable, than just sitting on my legs. I pet/hug him a bit and we both have gotten used to this routine. It only takes a few seconds to get a drop to test. Then I pet as we wait for results. Then it's food time!!! When he sees me pick up the pillow, he comes to me now.

Good luck with all of this and there are amazing and helpful people here to help.

Critter Mom and Spunky's Mama like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.