New here...1st week of home testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa & Jax, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa & Jax

Lisa & Jax Member

Hello everyone. My 7 y.o cat, Jax, was just diagnosed with FD this week. He had all the signs, excessive urination, ravenous hunger and a flat 'footedness' in his front legs that seemed to come out of nowhere. The day before taking him to the vet I noticed some weakness in his hind leg beginning. They ran some tests and let me take him home. The very next day I saw that the weakness in the hindleg had progressed when he was now dragging that foot across the ground to swing it in front of him to walk. Terrified I ran back to the vet and he was hospitalized for 3 days for observation.

When I returned to get him I was told he had FD. I was shell shocked and completely dumbstruck at the vet's and my husband and I went home with a box of U-40 Prozinc syringes and instructions to give him a 3 unit shot every 12 hrs. I cannot express how horrible I felt for my poor cat. My first injection I gave him with such trepidation that I wasn't sure if he got the shot.

I decided to read EVERYTHING I could on FD and ended up here. I spent the last two days pouring over these boards; what a wake up call it's been and I feel so guilty for the choices I made now knowing what I know.

This is what I have done so far:
    Diet: The vet gave me Hills M/D canned which I bought a case of and will promptly toss out after reading about the product here. I gave him 2 feedings with it then went out and purchased Classic chicken FF and Classic Turkey and Giblets FF. I purchased a Relion testing kit and would like to share the results. I have no idea how to create a spreadsheet but will hopefully learn. I ordered online from Life Lock the M-12 for the neuropathy as I pray this will help when I start him on it.

Today was my 1st time home testing, yesterday I shot 3 units of PZ blind at 12 hr intervals. This is what today looked like:

12/18 Fed @ 7AM 3.6oz of Hills M/D wet
    7:20A 3 U of PZ (the went out and got glucose meter)
    +3/ 333 BG
    +5/ 234 BG
    +7.5/ 171 BG
    +9.5/ 141 BG
    Fed him 45 mins later 4.5 OZ of FF
    +12/ 74 BG

That last # scared me as I'm wondering why he didn't spike with his food...and more importantly...what do I do? From reading the boards it doesn't seem wise to arbitrarily give him 3U as the Dr said as he is so low. I was planning on waiting another 2 hrs and test then to see the #. I pray I'm doing this right. I love my cat. :cry:

He's been off all dry food for 6 days.

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: New here...am I doing this right??!

Welcome Lisa and Extra sweet Jax! You landed in the most wonderful place for both of you. We all have or have had diabetic kitties - the wealth of info alone is just beyond amazing.

If Jax were mine, I wouldn't shoot a 74 and keep testing every 15-30 minutes to see when he starts rising substantially. It's very likely removing the high carb foods have already caused a natural drop. I can't stay online but I know others will arrive very soon.

Suggestion - in your original posting, click the edit button and add: BG 74 at +12 then hit submit. Let's get more eyes here with more experience...

HUGS!

3. Lisa & Jax

Lisa & Jax Member

Re: New here...am I doing this right??! BG 74 at +12

Thank you for your kind response. If it weren't for this board and people like you I would not know what to do.

I was trying to wait till +14 to get another read as this is the 1st day I have ever tried the home testing and I'm unsure if he can take so many ear pokes even though he seems to be taking it all in stride.

He wasn't parked at his water bowl today and the urination seems normal and not like the flood that happened previously. Tomorrow I am unable to monitor him like I was able to today as I have to work. I'm afraid this will keep me up all night until I can wrap my head around this whole thing.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Welcome Lisa,
    First thing, a 3 unit shot? That is a pretty high starting dose.
    And shooting into anything under 200 for the first few days is not a good idea.
    I wonder if starting over at 1 unit twice a day would be a better idea.
    That is how most people here start.
    It is much easier to climb up and to reduce after too much insulin.
    Lori

5. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Welcome, Lisa & Jax!

you have found a wonderful place for help...

the folks here have a lot of knowledge and are willing to share :D

celi & binks

6. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Lisa, removing the carbs can lower the bg but it may take a few days. Seeing that 74 at +12 is a great number and actually he has gone down even with food. I certainly would not shoot anything until he is over 200 and then I would only give 1 unit.....MAX....to play it safe a .5 dose would work but only if over 200. Better a little too high in starting this "dance" than too low and if you do shoot at a later number, like +15 , then it screws up what you need to know to dose him in the a.m. You could just call it a night, sleep well, and start over in the a.m.......who knows.......he may not even need insulin because it can happen that quickly with some diet controlled kitties.

7. Lisa & Jax

Lisa & Jax Member

Thank you all. Last test was +14/ 127 BG. I think I will take your advice and call it a night. So new to this, but will learn in time. My vet wanted to keep him on 3U every 12 hrs for a week, then they would see him again and retest but I feel more confident going in there with *my* data. Thank you all for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it and Jax does too!

8. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Good choice, Lisa. Have a restful night. Tomorrow is a brand new day with possibly low numbers.

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You've gotten great advice regarding not shooting. The only thing I would add is don't throw out the food. It cost you a lot of $$ for those cans. Return them to the vet and just tell them your cat won't eat it and you want a refund. (I returned a couple of cases after doing the same homework that you've done.)

10. SaraM2261

SaraM2261 Member

You are a fast learner!!!! Way to go for your cat!

This board is totally awesome. I know your head is spinning with all this new info but it will calm down and start to make sense in a few days. Breathe ..... breathe again. You are doing awesome. Read some stickies, go over to the PZI board and introduce yourself. (They will have the best advice for you because different insulins all work slightly differently.)

The original dose often times is not necessary and needs to be reduced once the kitties start on wet low carb foods. Check with the PZI experts over on that board for advice on what to do next.

Good luck!!!! This is an awesome place!

11. MikeysMom

MikeysMom Well-Known Member

I don't have a lot to add, but this is a great place to be! Personally, I'd have made the same call not to shoot that low. Mikey is on Lantus, not Prozinc, and even with the data I've accumulated, I'm not brave enough to shoot low numbers yet!

Jax is adorable, BTW!

12. Re: New here...am I doing this right??! BG 74 at +12

Hope you will see this before shot time in the AM...

Today's numbers indicate a dose that is way too high. You have also gone to a great low carb food. Especially because you said you can't be home tomorrow to watch...please reduce to no more than 1 unit, and please do not consider shooting on any number below 200.
    Carl

13. dmartini4

dmartini4 Well-Known Member

Welcome Lisa and Jax,
    Welcome to the site, I know this is the scariest time but you seem to have caught on very quickly
    As for the B12, myshakes has been on it for a year as he was alomst unable to walk due to the diabetes,
    but after a year he is able to jump again
    It will take a little time so be patient.
    Please post your am number and also please do not shoot 3 units whatever his number is today
    as I believe the 3 units is too high
    we ususlay recommend starting at one unit and go from there
    great job on the food switch!!

14. Lisa & Jax

Lisa & Jax Member

I wish I got on the board to see your post. I took his BG this AM and it was +22/ 533 BG. I did not give him any food overnight and was surprised to see that morning number. I gave the 3U thinking that it would shoot up higher when he eats. I plan on giving him food within the next 30 mins as I have to leave within the next hour and a half. This is nerve wracking. Can you please explain why the numbers would indicate the initial dose was too high? I think if I get a better grasp on that I would not make a panicked decision.

We are usually gone for 10-11 hrs (which is partially why I gave the 3U, thinking it would be a while before coming home and he was at 533 BG) but I can certainly make a case for getting out of there (or not going in) if I just made a decision that will place him in danger.

I guess the only bright spot right now is that I'm on vacation next week and can watch him very closely.

15. Lisa & Jax

Lisa & Jax Member

Mulling this over and trying to work out in my head why the initial dose could have been too high based on the numbers...please allow me to think this through.

I initially gave him 3U. From what I understand PZ goes to its lowest point at around +6 through +8 before we can expect to see the BG start creeping upwards. With Jax, his nadir was at +12. Way too long which would indicate his initial dose was too high... Also, he had more carbs from that initial feeding of M/D than he would now have from the FF. Because he is now on a lower carb food he would not need a unit as high as 3 and today I should expect to see his BG get much lower. Also the time duration until the lowest BG point should be much longer.

If I am reasoning this out correctly, I can now see why you kind people told me not to go higher than 1U initially. Well, that settles it. Taking a day off today to watch this. I don't think I should necessarily check him every 2 hours but perhaps every 3-4...? My poor kitty.

16. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Good thought train Lisa! 'Poor Kitty'? Just wait....KT comes and GETS me when it's testing time - means TREATS! Ones he only gets at test and shot times. He may LET you think 'Poor Kitty'.... :D

BIG HUGS! You got this thing goin' on!

17. Lisa & Jax

Lisa & Jax Member

Hi Lyresa,
    What treats do you give KT? I think I may need to go that route when it's all said and done. Jax's patience appears be be wearing thin but I don't blame him.

Due to my poor decision this morning I decided to stay home and watch him. At this point I am feeling angry and a bit sorry for myself (if I can honestly admit that) because I feel so ignorant and at times helpless.

Well, to recap events of the day:
    His AMPS was 533 and that was at +22. The last read before I went to bed was +14/ 127 BG. I gave 3U this morning. (yes, I know this to be very bad now)
    +5/ 148 BG gave him about 2 oz food to ease the descent.
    +6/ 123 BG
    PRAYING that the downward #'s don't carry on longer but if his #'s yesterday and time of his nadir yesterday is indicative of what will come he may be in trouble.
    Will test every hour and will go to 1U tomorrow. Just let us get through today.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What about tonight? You may go to 1u tonight.
    If you hypo try not to OVER treat it. H/c gravy...small amounts of karo if necessary.
    If you do have a hypo your kitty may be overly sensitive to insulin tonight so please post before shooting.

You have thought it out well. Today will be what today will be.
    Just be prepared,
    Lori

19. all4stvoyager

all4stvoyager Member

I'm fairly new to this whole whirlwind myself. I can tell you though, that almost everyone here has gone through the overwhelmed/frustrated/scared/confused feelings that you are experiencing right now. It WILL get better.

One thing that I learned early off in my research here is that it is better for him to be high than low. That's why people say start with a small dose and increase as needed.

Take as many deap breaths as you need to stay calm! :)

20. Lisa & Jax

Lisa & Jax Member

Yes it's a whirlwind!

Update:

+6 was 123 BG
    +7/ 194 BG
    +12/ 395 BG

Going to go with 1U in 30 mins...if he reads high in the AM I can raise it to 1.5U
    I feel as if Jax looks at me suspiciously whenever I come around him now. :roll:

21. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The numbers are good. No disaster.
    Are you giving Jax extra luvins and treats for all his hard work being a good boy for you?
    Lori

22. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Pick up some neosporin ointment with pain relief and put a dab on the ear a few minutes before testing. It'll reduce the annoyance factor and may make testing less of a problem.

23. Lisa & Jax

Lisa & Jax Member

Thanks for that tip! I was doing that *after* the shot. I'm trying to do a balancing act of love and affection with both of my cats. I have a rescue named Dooley. He's a big boy and going low carb as well. He's a carbaholic so he's none too happy right now. LOL

I gave Jax the 1U with his dinner. I'll post his AM numbers. If they are sky high I will consider going to 1.5.

(((Everyone)))

I'll try to create that SS tomorrow. Is it OK if I keep this thread going for a short time? Not sure of the board rules as I didn't see anything that addressed it.

24. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sure. Right now it would be best to keep all the info right here on this thread.

25. Jennifer & Saima (GA)

Jennifer & Saima (GA) Member

Butting in to say that I *think* (and I am no expert) that folks would probably advise you to hold the 1u dose for a few days (there are set Lantus protocols, though I don't know exactly what they are) even if he is high in the morning. It seems to me that you wouldn't want to increase too fast and possibly miss his optimal dose. Does anyone else who knows more than me have thoughts on this?

26. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The pzi works a little different than lantus or levemir. But if you do raise the dose, do it in very small increments. .25u at a time ok.
    Lori

27. Lisa & Jax

Lisa & Jax Member

I need some advice here.
    was +12/ 395 BG
    I was able to get his shot in an hour later of 1U. I fed him 3.5 oz FF at same time. Now we are at +5/ 353 BG. Thinking of giving another 1U after testing him when we get to +6. Six hours will pass before we will get up to shoot again and his current BG seems awfully high.

Thoughts?

28. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

the answer is NO. no 2nd shot. reasons will be explained later but you do not 2nd shot. wait till morning ok?

29. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Only shoot every 12 hours until you have really built up a lot of data on how your kitty is using the insulin.

The reason we said 3u was too much was the 74BG at P.M shot time.

The goal is to be able to give the same shot/dose morning and evening.

So - maybe if you were giving 1.5u, the evening BG would be a nice 200.

30. Lisa & Jax

Lisa & Jax Member

Thanks for the responses. I will definitely wait till the morning!

31. Lisa & Jax

Lisa & Jax Member

Good Morning! (well it is here at any rate :smile: )

Recap: last read was +5/ 353

Woke up and tested at +11/ 399 BG.

Will increase to 1.25U at AM shot. Thanks for the advice not to shoot last night. This starts day 3 of home testing and giving insulin. This learning curve certainly is sharp!!

32. dmartini4

So he surfed the remainder of the night
    That is ok...
    If you do raise to 1.25 I would hold for maybe 2 days to gather data
    you dont want to raise too fast ....
    This is a marathon not a sprint..
    gathering data and seeing how he responds on a specific dose is important
    because it is easy to raise fast and when doing that you could miss his actual perfect dose
    Hang in there! :mrgreen:

33. Jennifer & Saima (GA)

So sorry, guys... I accidentally looked at Lyresa's signature when I meant to look at Lisa & Jax's, so I thought kitty was on Lantus. Slinking away now... :oops:

34. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh Jennifer that's ok. Please don't let that stop you from coming on over to health and helping out ok?
    Mistakes are hooman? Thats why cats never make them :lol:
    Hugs,
    Lori

35. Jennifer & Saima (GA)

LOL, too true! I don't think any cat of mine has ever made a mistake. Even when they misjudge a jump and fall, they look at you like "What? I meant to do that." :lol:

36. Lisa & Jax

Lisa & Jax Member

Good Evening! I changed the title of my post again to more accurately reflect what this thread is about. Perhaps it may help a newbie in what NOT to do if they stumble across it in a search. LOL.
    Big hugs to all that gave encouragement and advice. It is really appreciated. I just can't thank you enough, especially Lori. When this is all new to a 'bean' it certainly helps to hear all the advice you can get.

Here we go:
    +11 / 399 BG
    gave 4.5 oz of FF, Jax seemed really hungry.
    gave 1.25U at +12. Off to work I go....
    Home from work... +12/ 368 BG fed approx 4oz of FF. He seems so hungry as he wants to scarf down Dooley's food too!
    gave 1.25U
    +1/ 288 BG
    +4/ 62 BG
    Perhaps not giving enough food? Good L-RD.

37. Lisa & Jax

Lisa & Jax Member

+5/ 100 BG

I'm comfortable that his number is on the rise. I'm going to call it a night. Each day gets a little bit easier. I'm starting to be able to notice in his behavior when his BG's are higher or lower. I read the 'Dear Mom' letter on this site and smiled. All so very true.

38. dmartini4

Looks like you 2 are doing well
    Please feel free to come on over to PZI and post there
    We would love to have you!

Denise and shakes

39. Lisa & Jax

Lisa & Jax Member

Thanks Denise and Shakes!
    I definitely poke my head in there. Perhaps I'll work up the nerve to post there! :smile:

Day 4

Recap: He hit 62 BG at +4 last night. I gave him a little low carb FF to ease that number up some. +5/ 100 BG.

I probably could have scaled back a bit on the food. He probably got around an ounce because AMPS was 412 BG.
    1.25U and 4.5oz of FF given
    +1/ 383 BG

I saw something about Diabetic Ketoacidosis. A forum member mentioned something about testing strips. I'm familiar with keto strips as I was on Atkins many years ago. I'm not sure what ketoacidosis is and how it relates to my cat exactly but I will research it. I also think I remember reading something about a 'peespoon' or 'peeladle'...but it was late and I can't remember. :?:

40. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Keto strips for humans are exactly the same things that we use to watch our cats for ketones. And oh we have gotten really creative on how to "catch' pee from our cats. :lol: Some of the favorite methods: Give them a clean litter box filled with aquarium gravel..no cat can resist 'christening' a new box. Covering part of the litter with saran wrap. Sticking a ladle under their butts or simply slipping the ketostix under them while they are peeing. The last one is my personal favorite since I have 13 cats, if I can catch Musette in the litter box I don't have time to go run and get a fancy way to catch pee. :lol:

Now, while I didn't personally have to deal with getting Musette through it, Musette is a DKA survivor, but I do have her previous medical records and I know she spend several days in the hospital on IVs and intensive insulin therapy. One person that can tell you a lot about DKA is Nancy & Payne...her Payne is a 4 time repeat DKA survivor, and she will be the first person to tell you that is a place you never want to be with your cat, it can be life threatening.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

41. Lisa & Jax

Lisa & Jax Member

I've been repeating that as a mantra in my head and even thinking about putting that quote in my siggy to stay encouraged because I'm feeling frustrated tonight.

AMPS was 412 BG and +12 was 413 BG. He's only been at this dose for two days and I'm tempted to raise to 1.5. Hubby none to pleased that I want to test him when I come home every few hours because he feels Jax is "miserable" when he's tested and his ears are getting red although I move the poke around as much as I possibly can. BUT if I don't test how will I know? How can I gather data to try and get this lowered? I'm at work during the day and can only try to see a pattern in the evening.

If I hold for 1 more day at 1.25 and then move it up to 1.5 is that too soon? How long do you stay at your dosage before making the decision to move it upward or downward?

Not a good day. :sad:

42. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, Lisa. Keep repeating that. :mrgreen:

Anytime you can get those mid cycle numbers, it will make the picture so much clearer. Last night the nadir was very nice, and it might have caused a bounce this am. And we don't know what happened in the middle of the day today.

The only way to work with the insulin and the kitty is to get the numbers and see what the insulin does. You can use some Neosporin with pain relief to help those ears. And hold the ear for a few seconds after poking to help with bruising.

Tell hubby that the vet who posts here often compares shooting without testing to driving down the freeway with a bag over your head. I love the visual!

43. Lisa & Jax

Lisa & Jax Member

Good Morning! This is Day 5!

I woke up in the middle of the night. I didn't know what roused me from my slumber at first but I immediately went looking for Jax. He was in his cat bed and just peered up at me as if saying, "Do you know what time it is??!" Then I heard the sound that woke me up again, it was the cry of a cat outside. So now I'm acutely attuned to any meow. :lol:

I decided to use the opportunity to get a test.
    Previously +4 was 255
    +8/ 219 BG. I went back to sleep ok with that #.

AMPS 364 BG Was able to get blood on 1st attempt. My hubby says I'm becoming a natural. LOL

I am going to increase to 1.5 on Friday as I will be home to watch him all day.
    I started the Methyl B-12 last night with 1 pill.(3mc) This morning we did 2 pills.
    Not a bad start to the day. Keeping fingers and paws crossed that a 1.5 dose will get him a little lower.

44. Sue and Oliver (GA)

If you can get any mid cycle tests around +5-6, that will help fill out your big picture. Great job getting a number while half asleep!

Is he completely on wet food? It may be that he has done all the adjusting downward on the diet or he may still be adjusting and that can influence his numbers too. It's that darn "every cat is different" thing. How often does he eat? There are two approaches to feeding. One is to feed twice daily after testing. The other is to divide the amount into several small feedings during the day thinking that food supports the pancreas. Some of us use automatic feeders and some of us freeze the wet and leave it out to thaw.

As long as you get preshots in the high 200-300 range and they are definitely on the rise and don't get any low nadirs (we generally consider a mid cycle number in the 40-50 range low and monitor and plan to intervene if it goes lower) and you will be around to monitor the first few cycles, I think your plan to increase is a good one. (a few contingencies there but we like to play it safe with new diabetics)

45. Lisa & Jax

Lisa & Jax Member

Good Morning!

Sue, Jax is entirely on FF <10% which I give him 2x a day while he's getting his injection. So much more easier to sneak in the injection while he's eating. He's a scarfer!
    I was considering an automatic feeder as I do think 4x a day feeding would probably be more beneficial to regulating his diabetes but I have another cat and not sure how I can work that one out. Jax would eat EVERYTHING.

Today is Day 6!

I jinxed myself yesterday by talking about how I got blood on the 1st try because this morning it took 30 minutes and a whole bunch of pleading, begging, and bribing to get him to stay still to get blood. I was tempted to give up but finally got it because I ended up using the lancet without the device.( I HATE the device as the needle doesn't stick out enough when you press the button) I could tell he felt the poke; I use the ultra thin lancets because I'm afraid a larger needle will hurt his poor ears more. I think the ReliOn lancing device is crap. I plan on finding something else today if I can. Any suggestions welcomed.

I am thinking that perhaps he's not getting enough to eat. I feed him approx 8-8.5 oz daily but this is a huge decrease in food for him as he was basically eating whenever he wanted previously. I always left out hard food and would give wet as the special treat when I came home from work. I find it a little hard to believe that all you need is 6-8oz a day.

I raised his dose to 1.5U and plan to do a curve today...hopefully Jax has the same plans in mind.

46. Sue and Oliver (GA)

There are definitely differences in lancets, Lisa. You might start a new topic asking for favorites. We had one with a clear plastic top. Once we took that off, we could see the actual lancet and put it right where we wanted it. (I can't remember the brand). Some people free hand without using the device at all like you did. That works fine.

I would feed Jax more. New diabetics' bodies aren't metabolizing their food well so they are hungrier than they will be once their blood sugars get in more normal ranges. You can certainly offer a few snacks during the day.

It does seem like you are hurting them when you poke. Be sure to soften the blow with a snack. And tell yourself, it is much less painful for both of you than a hypo.... :mrgreen:

47. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Don't let Jax fool you into thinking it hurts him. If it did hurt, none of our cats would let us near them to test ever again. If you put a cosmetic pad underneath the ear for support, it works much better. To me a lancing device is very quick but you will not see the needle come out. You have to hold the device FLAT on the ear, not at an angle, and then if you see a little blood, push/milk the ear with your thumb only from the bottom up towards the poke. If you don't see blood, recock the device and immediately poke again. You do not have to change the lancets for every single poke for one test and it will get easier because the ear will learn to bleed.

48. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

I also have the Relion and use the 31gauge lancets (really thin ones). What I do I take the top of the device and put the lancet in but don't put the cover back on and free hand the poke. I found that putting the lancet in the device gives you more to hold onto that just the little lancet itself. I do know that some people start off with larger gauge lancets for the first litte while and then once they become pros and the ears bleed better move to the smaller gauge. Make sure you warm the ear well cause that will make a big difference on how well the ear will bleed.

Good Luck
    Sharon

49. Lisa & Jax

Lisa & Jax Member

Today I went out to find some keto and glucose strips for my Jax. I came up empty handed at the local drug store (a Rite Aid) I will probably order it online tomorrow and call it a day.

The AM curve results remained fairly flat on an increase to 1.5U. Will the BG numbers ever do what they are supposed to do?? :roll:

The PM looked more promising with:
    PMPS @+12/ 293 BG
    +4/ 128 BG
    +6/142 BG
    I plan on holding steady at 1.5U for a bit.

A few things that I want to look at is finding U40 needles that show increments. I've been eyeballing the dose because my needles only show whole unit increments. I've been wondering how forum members have been able to say they shot a .6U or .8U.

No more testing for my sweet Jax tonight. He deserves a break.I ordered from the shop link, at the top of the page, some low carb treats from Only Natural Pet. I hope Jax and Dooley like it. They are former Temptation addicts.

Not a bad day overall.

50. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Lots of ProZinc users use U100 needles to give the smaller incremental doses. Since most ProZinc is U40 (there is a BCP PZI that is U100 so be sure to check yours) they use a conversion chart.

http://felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm

My kitty likes Pure Bites and Prime Taste Treats - kinda crunchy but pure protein. I buy the big doggie size bags in PetSmart and crumble them up for him.

Jax may be a kitty who needs a few cycles to settle into a dose. You'll be able to track his patterns and it will make your dose decisions easier.

51. Lisa & Jax

Lisa & Jax Member

Thank you for the link to the conversion chart. I needed that!! :D

Today is day 7!!!

This day ends this thread as it has literally gotten me thru my starting journey into home testing. I cannot thank everyone enough that chimed in. (((EVERYONE))) What a week it has been but I'm so lucky to be able to navigate these new waters with the support of all the kind people here.

Strange AM cycle that makes me wonder if I got a fur shot. I didn't think so, so I'll just take that he is indeed settling into his new dosage.

He is feeling more like himself this morning than he has been in a long time. He actually ran...yes ran as fast as his legs could carry him and jumped into his pet bed in the most playful fashion. I was astonished. He also jumped on Dooley in reckless abandon (which I put a halt to immediately) so I know he's feeling mischievous today. I think that may be his way of trying to reestablish dominance in the house. I think the Methyl B-12 is starting to work!

AMPS 285 BG Very nice...lower than it has ever been.
    5oz of FF with 1.5U
    +4/ 372 BG (huh?)
    +6/ 211

Going to hold steady at 1.5U and see what happens. This has been one heck of a dance. :mrgreen:

Thank you all for following my 1st week journey.

52. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

My guess would be that the +4 372 was a food spike since the +6 is alot lower. 5oz is alot of food to eat at one time, I would think that the more regulated he gets the less you will have to feed him becasue his body will be processing the food better. I can't remember if you said what your feeding schedule is - some feed just at shot time and some feed smaller amounts more often. He may be one you might consider give more frequent smaller meals to keep his numbers from going way up - just remember no food 2 hours before shot time.
    Personally I feed Harry 1/2 can friskies (so about 2.25 oz) in amps, at +6ish I give 1/2 can fancy feast (about 1.5 oz), another 1/2 can friskies at pmps. Depending on bed time I will give another small snack before I go to bed but alot of times he hasn't finished his dinner yet. So in total he gets about 7oz per day but since Jax isn't regualted yet he will be hungier..

Congrats on a great first week!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.