New here and learning. Sally diagnosed early December

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sally the Calico, Dec 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sally the Calico

Sally the Calico Member

Hello! My name is Trish and Sally is our 13 year old calico.
    Diagnosed with diabetes December 2, 2019

After our sweet tabby, Sam, passed from complications from hyperthyroidism and kidney disease... it's a long story, probably not meant for this forum.... we took Sally in for blood work, just for peace of mind. We were so surprised to learn she has diabetes! Now that I've been researching more, she was showing symptoms of drinking and urinating heavily, but I thought it was our sick tabby that was flooding the litter box. Now we know.

Vet started her on 1.5 units PZI, then upped to 2 units after two week test at vet. I believe her sugar was over 400 when first diagnosed. Vet said it was a little better but still high after second test, but she didn't give me the number.

It's been hectic with the holidays, and I feel guilty that I haven't started testing yet, but wanted things to settle down and have time to research and wrap my head around all this. Sally is extremely skittish, so I'm not confident I will be able to test her.

I know I need to fill in my Signature...
    but I'm stumped on many abbreviations I'm coming across. I haven't found any glossary of terms yet... can someone please point me in the right direction?

It's so much to learn and rather overwhelming. I'll post in the Health section as I start testing and/or have specific questions. The info here is wonderful, even the breakdown of carbs for wet food. Fortunately Sally already like FF, though it was the gravy variety. We are only giving pate now.

• Insulin: PZI ProZinc, 2 units, twice a day
    • Food: What are you currently feeding kitty?
      • Canned/wet Fancy Feast pate and Fancy Feast Naturals pate
      • Sheba pate sometimes
      • Cooked chicken or turkey if we have some
      • Vet sold us Purina Pro Plan DM dry. Says it's low carb, but reading here, don't really think so. Sally prefers wet food anyway, so I've stopped the dry.
    Thank you all for providing this forum!
    Trish

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome. Here is a link to a glossary of FDMB terms.

If you post over in Health, we can help you with blood glucose (BG) meter selection and give you tips to try for testing. You don’t need a pet specific meter. Good for you on stopping the dry.

3. Sally the Calico

Sally the Calico Member

Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.