New here and new dx

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Michele Raye, May 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michele Raye

Michele Raye Member

We found out our 10yo boy Tiger has diabetes and diabetic neuropathy on Saturday. We started him on ProZinc that night. So far he seems to be doing well, he is less hungry, we have reduced his feedings and he is drinking less. He used to sleep by the water. The injections are going fine. The back legs have been an issue though and twice now since we started the insulin I have seen him lie down in the cat box to urinate which of course makes a huge wet sticky mess all over his stomach. I would love suggestions on how to deal with this.

Feeling overwhelmed like everyone else new to this but we love this big boy so much. My 16 yo daughter is giving him his injections.

Any advice on the neuropathy and/or litter would be great. I know we also want to change up his food but the vet said that needed to wait. He is currently on and has been on long term urinary prescription food due to a serious issue with his brother.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Tiger is a great looking kitteh, and he knows how to pose! You can certainly begin by reading the yellow labels ( info and sticky) at the top of the forums, as well as posting your questions on the main forum, as Sharon14 suggested. You are very welcome here.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The neuropathy will improve when the blood glucose levels go down. Vitamin b 12 methylcobalamin supplements will help as wel. Most of us use zobaline which can be bought on amazon.

5. Michele Raye

Michele Raye Member

thank you for that, I am going to order some of that on Friday. The vet is also going to start antibiotics to treat a UTI. His laying down more and more when he pees which is so hard because he gets covered in litter. I bought some paper type litter today but it is very hard and I don't think comfortable to stand on, he got in the box and then climbed right back out...ugh....I think at the moment that is my biggest issue with him and I am not sure how to fix it.

6. JanetNJ

If you aren't testing at home yet that's the number one best tool for getting the bg levels under control. You will know if the dose is working or if it's too much or too little. Also the best way to prevent deadly hypo. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

7. Michele Raye

Michele Raye Member

I watched it, thank you. How often do you test at home. We just found out on Saturday and started meds that night. He goes back in in another week to stay all day and they will test him throughout the day to see where he is falling with the insulin. Right now he is on 3mg of Prozinc twice a day. Also, do you have any links to where you buy all that at? Everything in the kit that you used?

I would think once the vet tests him and knows his numbers are down wouldn't that be sufficient or is there still a need to test daily if you aren't changing anything? Still learning, sorry!

His numbers were about 330 I believe and I have read that they should be under 200?

8. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Michele, to to the Prozinc forum and read the Beginners Guide to Prozinc (,yellow tag Sticky at least he top of the forum. Then the Sticky about Hypos, very important. Post questions in that forum or Main Forum so that more eyes see and you can get into faster. I learned to test before every injection, to avoid a hypo, which is very serious.

9. JanetNJ

Insulin is not a set and forget thing. Insulin needs change and sometimes quickly. During the school year I usually test three times a day because I'm not home. Always test the preshot to make sure the cat is high enough to get insulin, then I get a test around 4-5 hours after the shot in the evening. In the weekends and summer I can test more to get a better picture of what's happening during the day. Then I usually test 4-6 times a day unless I'm not home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.