New here; Michele (Bentley's mom)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Michele Welsh, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michele Welsh

Michele Welsh New Member

Hi my name is Michele and I'm new here. My 12 year old male cat Bentley was diagnosed with diabetes last June. He had been doing very well on 2 units of insulin twice a day until Sunday, when we came home from church and his legs were paralyzed and he couldn't walk. We took him to the vet, where he stayed for 3 days, and they determined he is in remission. I just ordered a glucometer so I can monitor him at home, but I'm a little worried. Has anyone else ever dealt with their diabetic cat going into remission? Did the diabetes come back?

Thanks, Michele

Attached Files:

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

It's great you are getting a glucometer so you'll know exactly what is going on with his blood sugar levels if he should start to rise again. Yes, we do hear about kitties who suddenly go into remission. It sounds like this might have happened because he went very low (hypo). Sometimes, somehow, in very few cats, that starts their pancreas working again. But it may not be a permanent condition so keeping track of his numbers will be important.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info,
    - If not in remission, a long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.