New here... Recent diagnosis for my Lucy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jen Emerson, Dec 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen Emerson

Jen Emerson New Member

Hi, Jen here. My girl Lucy Belle was just diagnosed Sunday with diabetes. Her blood sugar was 456 and she has lost three pounds since March. I'm grateful to know what's going on, but started to freak about the cost at first. I've found a fewoptions for the insulin (glargine) my vet wants to try that are affordable and thankfully I'll get reimbursedpartially thru a policy I have for her. I love my beautiful girl and feel just horrible. I know she doesn't feel good, but I want to help her feelbetter soon.
    I've got her on her low carb food now and just awaiting the insulin that I ordered.
    I'm had to give fluids in the past to a furbaby so I'm not anxious about that. I'm just anxious for my girl to feel better.
    Any advice or support is welcome.

Attached Files:

JanetNJ likes this.
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Jen. I suggest you start by making a signature so that Lucy Belle's pertinent information is available with your posts. HERE is a link to the profile and signature information. Be sure to note where you are, geographically, as we are all over the world. If you give a time value on something, it can be really confusing to the responding member.
    We also use a spreadsheet to input the BG test results and insulin time/dose amount so that you can track how the insulin is affecting Lucy and when linked to the signature, is available to other members who would be advising you. Here is link to the SPREADSHEET instructions and understanding the grid area. Get the spreadsheet set up so that when you get your testing kit, you will be ready to go.
    We know it's all new and there is a lot of information to absorb, on top of getting the diabetes diagnosis too. The FAQs forum is a good place to start here in the forums. It contains an Index and a couple of Stickies about Hypos you are going to want to read about. I hope you never need the information, but absolutely better safe than sorry.
    Try working with Lucy Belle now, getting her ready for testing. Take her to the "testing area", rub her ears a little bit to get her used to the sensation, and give her a low carb treat. It is so much easier if they either accept or look forward to the testing and a treat every time really helps. Many of us use Pure Bites Freeze dried chicken, it's a big hit in this house! Just make sure it's low carb.
    Wishing you the best on the beginning steps of the sugar dance.

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Jen,
    What dose of glargine insulin has your vet ordered? I don’t know the weight of your kitty but 1 unit of Lantus (glargine) is a good dose to start with.
    One of the most important things you can do to keep kitty safe is to test the blood sugar levels. I would start testing now do that your are testing when you start giving the insulin.
    We recommend testing before EVERY dose of insulin to ensure it is safe to give the insulin. Then we recommend you get at least one test in during the cycle around about +4 to + 6 to see how low the insulin is taking your kitty. Then at night always get a before bed test to check that kitty will be safe overnight. If kitty is dropping you will need to test further.
    It’s great you have changed over to low carb food.
    Ask lots of questions, we are happy to help
    Bron

Idjit's mom likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.