New here....

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Telurin, Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Telurin

Telurin New Member

[​IMG]

Hi all. This is Marik, who is so sweet, no wonder he turned out to be a sugar cat. He lives with me and my husband and our other two civvie cats, Bakura and Smudge. We've been in and out of the vet's office for a while now but just got the Diabetes diagnosis. He's a fairly high stress cat, so the low side of high (mid 200's) BG numbers we were getting at the vets office wasn't really worrying until this last time and it was 500.

I've spent the last few days reading everything I can and spending way too much time worrying over food choices to end up on FF and Sheba. (Marik loves it better than any premium food he's ever had, so I guess that's a win?)

He's been a trooper through all of this, and I'm sure once I get better at ear pricks he'll be even better. I get either NO blood or too much blood- even hitting the 'sweet spot' between the marginal vein and the edge of the ear, even with neosporin on the site and warming the ear with a rice sock beforehand. Any additional tips and tricks would be appreciated.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome. You found a great place for information and support. You will get better at the ear pricks, and it does get easier as you learn the sugar dance and you both get more comfortable. :cat:

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! He's a cutie. The ear pricks will get better with time/practice.

5. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

Welcome! You signature says that you are using a Relion Prime meter. Is that correct? That's what I started out with and it was really tough at first. It takes a little more blood than the Relion Confirm or Micro. At first, I would say that about 1/3 of my attempts to test her were complete failures because I couldn't get enough blood. I ended up going back to Walmart and getting a Confirm meter. The Prime works, now that she is better at bleeding. It does get easier. Just hang in there.

6. Telurin

Telurin New Member

Thanks for all the welcomes and support!

Honestly I just feel terrible about poking him so much for the test, but I keep telling myself he doesn't seem to mind.

@alexthecat I am currently using a Relion Prime, but I haven't had trouble with the meter itself! I've thought about the Confirm and maybe once we get to where I can get a smaller drop of blood it might be useful, but now I'm either getting no blood or something a bit bigger than a 'o'! That being said, I get one to try anyway.

7. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

Gotcha! I was getting about half a drop initially. There's definitely a learning curve with all this.

8. Telurin

Telurin New Member

Using the lanceting device was the key. I know a lot of people don't use them, and I didn't mind trying freehand since I've got a fair bit of experience in animal husbandry and vet procedures, but it worked like a charm on the middle setting. Marik, Mr. Spookers McSpookerton himself didn't even mind the click!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.