New Lantus user/help w/pens

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sarah and Buzz, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Hi everyone! I am starting Buzz on Lantus shortly, and I am not sure how the SoloStar pens work. I thought I read that you just use a syringe to draw from the pen like a vial of insulin. Is this correct? I remember seeing a photo one time on the old site. I am going to check the stickies here.

I am so nervous to start Lantus! I feel like I am starting all over, and I guess I am. For some background:

Buzz was dx in July, started PZI Idexx on August 10, 2009, went into remission on Dec. 10th, 2009. She's been in double digits the whole time, usually in the 70 range. Dec. 31 her BG was 97, January 5 it was 255. Her SS is up to date if you want more specifics. She went to the vet today to rule out infection and had a heck of a visit (pee, puke, it was ugly). No infection in the urine, no ketones. Bloodwork is being sent out and we will have results tomorrow, in case there's a tooth issue or some other kind of problem.

As Idexx PZI is not being made anymore, I took advantage of the free Lantus offer in December to have on hand just in case she came out of remission. Well, here we are, apparently.

Vet advised starting at 2-2.5u BID, I politely declined. It should be noted that our vet does not prescribe Lantus and knows nothing about it. She was willing to prescribe it because she knows how I stay up on things and she felt like I could handle it without her knowledge, which I pretty much did with PZI, as well. ;)

Starting dose should be 1u, right? And hold for 3-4 days before changing dose? Aaaagggghhh, just thinking about how different Lantus is than PZI is freaking me out! Any advice is more than welcome. THANK YOU!!! :)

ETA: I found the pictures on the handling and storage sticky. :)

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hi Sarah.

There are plenty of people here who are former PZI (and other) insulin users who have had to leap the Lantus/Levemir hurdle. I'm sure they can tell you what to expect. It does require a different mindset, from what I see people struggle with.

You are correct about using the Solostar pen much as you would a vial. There is a picture in the proper handling sticky above. There is a stoppered end to the cartridge under the pen's cap. You insert the syringe into the rubber stopper. Overdraw some of the insulin. Remove the syringe and then adjust to Buzz's dose. Please remember to not shake, rattle, or roll the cartridge. All the info about handling is in the link I provided.

The German forum members have been using ideal weight as a means of approximating initial dose. If you have Buzz's ideal weight one of the more experience users will be able to suggest what the dose would be. Chances are it's in the neighborhood of 1.0 unit.

3. Sarah and Buzz

Buzz is at her ideal weight currently, which as of today is 10.3 lbs. :)

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

also, keep the insulin opened and unopened pens in the fridge. It helps retain the shelf life.

And you are using U100 syringes correct?

With 1/2 unit markings right?

And you do understand how much to give?

Just trying to be thorough.....

5. Sarah and Buzz

I will be using U-100 syringes. Lantus is a U-100 insulin, so no conversion, correct? And they do have 1/2 unit markings, yes.

Unless I hear otherwise, I am planning to give 1u BID to start. I cannot give insulin at the present time because Buzz is, for the first time ever, uninterested in eating. She had a very traumatic (for her) visit to the vet today, also a first in her life. She is sleeping/resting and is not interested in moving or doing much of anything.

I feel very unprepared for the Lantus road, although I am sure it's just because it's unfamiliar to me.

6. Sarah and Buzz

According to the dosing protocol linked in the Lantus sticky, start with 0.25IU for every kg of ideal body weight. Buzz's ideal weight is 10 lbs, which is 4.54 kg. So that would be a starting dose of 1.135u BID. Am I figuring that correctly? I also assume I would round down to 1u?

7. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Sarah,
    Welcome to the Lantus forum!
    when are u wanting to start tonite? How much time till ur preferred shot time?

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Like I said, the 1.0 unit is in the right ballpark.

9. Sarah and Buzz

I would prefer to shoot her in about 2 hours, but if she hasn't shown an appetite, I will not shoot until tomorrow morning.

10. Sarah and Buzz

Yep, you were exactly right! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.