NEW MEMBER 1/18/20 Need help increasing dose for kitty in 400s

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Brandi Young, Jan 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandi Young

Brandi Young Member

My big guy was diagnosed late November. Started on vetsulin but he got really sick with dehydration mid December and was in hospital for a week. We came home on 1 unit Lantus. While not eating well in hospital he dropped very low on 2 units. I have since increased him slowly back up to 2 units but I think he needs to be increased. He eats 1/2c friskies pate mixed with water twice a day at shot times 5am/5pm. He snacks on dry RC urinary s/o during the day and overnight. I’m trying to switch all my cats to wet but I have one picky cat who is refusing so it must remain this way for now. He is starving all the time and still has lots of urine. I can check him frequently over next 30hrs but won’t be able to do midday checks Monday or Tuesday I am gone at work 14-15hrs. should I wait until I have 3 days off in a row next week or would the rest of the weekend be enough to see if it’s safe?

thanks
    Brandi

Attached Files:

2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Hiya and Welcome

First I can't open his Spreadsheet but don't know why I can't.

3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hi Brandi.

Did you use our standardized spreadsheet to create that SS? Did you follow the steps to link it to your user profile (it would be view only for us)? I think you missed the step to link it to your user profile.

Instructions are here. New? How You Can Help Us Help You!

Gives you some basic information on feline diabetes, How to create the Spreadsheet (SS), updating your signature and other good stuff.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I can open the SS in Libreoffice. I see no with increasing dose to 2 1/4 units. If you could monitor more I would go to 2 1/2.

5. Deb & Wink

She still needs to link it to her signature so that everyone can open it and look at it. Wouldn't want Larry and Kitties to be the only one that could help you.

Never heard of Libreoffice and don't think everyone has that.

6. Brandi Young

Brandi Young Member

Attached Files:

7. Brandi Young

Brandi Young Member

I’m Trying to figure out how to link. Im using the google spreadsheet that Chris R made for me.

8. Ann & Scatcats

Yes indeed you are. I can see it now. I'm on a tablet and it gave me two options and of course I chosed the wrong one. My bad!

Brandi Young likes this.
  9. Ann & Scatcats

Are you planning to increase his Lantus dose to 2,5 units twice a day?

Brandi Young likes this.
  10. Brandi Young

Brandi Young Member

Yes. I gave him his 2.5 at 5pm. I figured it would be okay since he runs so high

Ann & Scatcats likes this.
  11. Brandi Young

Brandi Young Member

I will check him at 8pm and 11pm to be sure he tolerates the dose when it’s most active before going to bed tonight.

Ann & Scatcats likes this.
  12. Brandi Young

Brandi Young Member

I added the link can anyone make it work?

13. Ann & Scatcats

That will be fine.

Simba and I have been up and down over the years in the Lantus dosages too for various reasons so it is not so uncommon.

Brandi Young likes this.
  14. Deb & Wink

Yes. I see the SS in your signature. Good job and Thank you.

Brandi Young likes this.
  15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I too can see the spreadsheet in the signature. I am glad you increased to 2.5 units. Can you get tests in the night time cycle? Many kitties go lower at night, so getting a test somewhere between a couple hours after the evening shot and your bed time, is a good habit to get into. We determine how to change the Lantus dose based on how low it takes the cat, hence the data in the PM cycle being important.

Brandi Young likes this.
  16. Brandi Young

Brandi Young Member

I gave him his Shot at 5pm and will check at 8pm and 11pm is that enough since it’s 6hrs after dose? Also he only lets me poke his ear while eating. Can I give him a small smear or spoonful of his food to distract him or will that raise his numbers and not give a real sense of the dose being safe or not. He eats friskies pate

17. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, that's fine! Or a lot of us use any pure protein source like a little baked chicken. Protein shouldn't have much (if any) effect on the BG so it's a perfect snack.

Brandi Young likes this.
  18. Deb & Wink

Food at testing time, but after the shot is fine. Test, feed, shoot for lantus.

We only need to see the AMPS and PMPS shots to be non food influenced. So pick up the food 2 hours before the pre-shot tests.

Brandi Young likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.