New member! + a few questions.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lance_Ricke, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lance_Ricke

Lance_Ricke New Member

Hi All!

I am Alicia, and my kitty, Lance just recently (as of 6/14/10) was put back on insulin (Lantus). My previous vet dismissed him in november of '09, saying he was "back to normal". Things seemed fine, though I was always cautious and suspicious, and rightfully so. I left for vacation for a week and a half in June and things fell horribly to pieces. Lance hates being alone, and to top it all off he now has 'betes again. Thankfully I had a very close friend watching my house, as well as my animals. She caught him just in the nick of time, though my new vet was optimistic, things were not well off while I was gone. I spent my entire vacation in hysterics.

He is currently on 1.5U of Lantus. Also for the time being he is also on Denosyl for his liver. He was previously on Vestulin (prior to his coming to live with me & up to nov' 09). His past is sketchy at best. He was a friends-ex boyfriends-adopted cat, whom he could "no longer afford". yea, Im sure your catching where i'm going with that. ..anyhow.

Lance seems to have improved leaps and bounds since his 4 day stay at our vet's office. He cost a pretty penny for myself being a poor college student. Thankfully my boyfriend is very sympathetic and helped me pay some of his bill.. However recently (as of around 6pm yesterday -7/20- ) he began vomiting what looks like marshmallow fluff (bile?) and having a few runny poos here and there. I have seen posts where there was a hairball involved. Lance has been grooming alot lately, could this be the culprit or should I be worried?
    He eats canned Wellness Core, and has backed off of his food a little but not much. His drinking is normal as well, and he is not urinating under or over what he normally does. But of course, I am frantic once more. I went by myself to visit my vet this morning, who to my surprise, is encouraging me to discontinue shots for 24hrs to see if he improves. Though I am to continue the Denosyl. I am curious how others feel about this? It is making me nervous in the most ridiculous way, as I am leaving tomorrow at midnight for a 2 day vacation. Lance will be seen over by the same friend who aided in his rescue before, however this only calms my nerves slightly. I am also confused, I did not think he could go into remission so soon?

Right now I am optimistic, for he has missed his morning shot and is appearing normal. Grooming, checking in on me in whatever room I may be in, sunning himself and in general doing his "normal daily Lance thing". However, I know looking normal, and being "normal" internally are two very different things and he is a tricky guy. He held himself up until the bitter end last month and showed none of us any sign he was not feeling well until it was almost too late. He does however have an appointment made for his monthly checkup for monday (7/26). I will only be gone a matter of days, not almost 2 whole weeks this time.. I keep telling myself this, but I am still very scared.

I am literally so beside myself today I broke 2 glasses doing dishes and spilled a good quarter of a bottle of dish soap on the floor.. of course lance looked on from on top of our kitchen table like I was a fruit cake. I suppose I'm just providing him with good entertainment?

Thanks a ton for reading! This board has already been buckets of good information!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hi alicia, welcome!
    are you hometesting lance?
    lori

3. Lance_Ricke

Lance_Ricke New Member

Not yet, however I would -really- like to! In fact I feel like I would be far more comfortable with this sudden "no shot" situation if I were home testing. Though my vet has never brought it up with me, I have seen a great deal of positive words on here about it!

Is there a special kind I would need to invest in? or can it be purchased at pharmacies?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

no you can buy it at pharmacy's and the human kind are what we all use. one touch, accu-check, there are many varieties...check to see who has the least expensive strips and get that one. I'll make a list for you k?
    and yes testing lance will totally empower you and less visits to vet...

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

glucometer
    matching strips (we'll teach you later how to get them on the cheap)
    lancets (cheapest)
    cotton balls

I free hand his test so I don't require a lancet device, I just find it easier. I'll teach you how if you don't know already, how to draw the blood. If you can find something like a baby sock and fill it with rice..not to much. you can warm the ear by mircrowaving for a few seconds. a warm ear bleeds easier.

6. Lance_Ricke

Lance_Ricke New Member

Thanks so much! I'll ask my boyfriend if we can go grab these things tonight. :) I had been watching youtube videos on how to draw blood from the ears. right around the tip, I believe?

Lance is very good about being handled in all sorts of awkward messes. I'm sure he will bear with me as I learn this, and our good friend (my best friend) wont mind either. Lance is a favorite and a bit legendary in my small circle of friends. He has a personality that just does not quit!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

good luck and please keep us updated with the #'s you get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.