Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by hhelman08, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hhelman08

hhelman08 Member

Hello. My name is Heather and my baby Ness has been struggling with diabetes for over a year now. We cant seem to get his levels regulated. At the vets last week, his sugar was over 500! I have started doing my own research and came across this group. Ness is currently on 8 units of Prozinc twice a day! I have tried Hills prescription diet with no luck in bringing down his sugar. Currently he is eating Blue Buffalo or Merrick wet food twice a day with his shot and is free fed Purina one dry. I know his diet needs to change but I am waiting for my glucose monitor to come in before I do that. I am working with the vet at this time to determine appropriate testing to rule out other diseases. I am lost and I don't really know how to begin...

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome. Most of us here test our cat's blood sugar (BG) using a human hand-held meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We also record or Bgs and other informnatin in a spread sheet that can be view by others. That wway we can see what is happening and thus give you better advice. Here is how to setup the spreadsheet.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/
    It is important to get BGs before each shot so you know what is happening.

I would ditch the dry altogether. That is contributing to the high BGs since dry, especially the Purina One dry is high in carbs.

8 units twice daily is high for most cats but some cats requires a high does. Sometime yo can increase too fast and thus miss the right dose and frequently too high a dose results in high BGs.
    My Murfee is doing goo on 13 units of Levemir with 7 units BCP PZI insulin twice daily. My Badger is OK on about 3.6 units ProZinc and 1.5 units N twice daily. On the other hand my Patches II is is doing excellent on 1.2 units Lantus twice daily. This points out that each cat is different

hhelman08 likes this.
  3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello Heather, and welcome to you and your sugarkitty, Ness.

In that case I'd suggest beginning by taking few slow, deep breaths....
    You've found the best feline diabetes site on the planet, and we will do everything we can to help you. :bighug:

8 units is a very high dose. However, a minority of kitties do need high doses.

It is very possible though that the dose is actually too high.
    If a cat's blood glucose drops too low for comfort it's body can compensate by releasing stored glucose into the bloodstream. It's a protection measure. And it can also release counter-regulatory hormones the purpose of which is to keep the blood glucose high for a time (this can take up to a few days to wear off completely).
    So, tests that are only done occasionally may not pick up the fact that the blood glucose is dropping low at times.

Well done for wanting to hometest! That is the best way to find out what is going on with your kitty's blood glucose.
    Please know that hometesting should not hurt Ness at all, but it may take a few goes for you to get the hang of things (just like learning anything new).
    Here is a link to the FDMB page of hometesting info, tips and tricks, and example videos, so you can get an idea of what's involved:
    Hometesting Links and Tips

I would also suggest that you test Ness's pee for ketones. You can do this with Ketodiastix test strips (or equivalent), which should be available from most pharmacies. Crumpling plastic food wrap in the litter tray is a good way to catch a pee sample.

Do ask any questions you want to. We're here to help.

Eliz

4. hhelman08

hhelman08 Member

Thank you so much for the info! I will start the spreadsheet asap!

5. hhelman08

hhelman08 Member

Thank you for the info I will have to try the strips. What does it mean if there are ketones in his urine?

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

hhelman08 likes this.
  7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    See my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for additional assessments you may find helpful, such as intake and output, dehydration checks, and behavior.

hhelman08 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.