Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Danii94, Jan 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danii94

Danii94 New Member

Captain is 16 years old and recently diagnosed. I’m still very confused on all of this. Our vet started him out pretty high from what I’m reading. He’s on 5 units of ProZinc every morning. Still losing weight, drinking and peeing like crazy. Just found out about these groups and am working on changing his diet and getting a home reader. I’m unsure how to actually do readings and dosages accordingly. I honestly have no clue what I’m doing, but I’m ready to learn. I gave him wet food today as he ran out of his dry food, but I do plan on getting more to slowly transition him to a full wet food no carb diet. I don’t know what much means when it comes to the diabetes diagnosis. Any and all help is appreciated!! How do I change his dosage and know what’s right or wrong? Is there a chart or anything to help me learn the “language” I see that the main things are diet, insulin, and home testing, but that’s about all I know. What’s the normal range on a home tester? How often should I test? Should I only give insulin as needed instead of every single day? Thank you for reading this far!!

2. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Hi Danii and welcome to FDMB! The site has a wealth of information and Feline Diabetes can be very overwhelming at first, but it does get easier. I'll answer your questions the best that I can.
    Experienced Prozinc users will be along to answer your questions about dosing. You may want to repost your dosing questions over in the Prozinc Forum.

This is not uncommon until your kitty starts getting lower numbers. When did Captain get diagnosed?

It's really, really important to be home testing before you change diet as change his food can reduce his numbers and you could end up giving him his insulin when he is already low.

So others can help you best, it is recommended to start a spreadsheet and keep track of your testing numbers. To help get to know Captain better a signature line will also be very helpful. Click on this link for the instructions. If you need help, just post. The spreadsheet has normal ranges already built in and is colour coded and easy to use. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Here is another link with helpful information to get you started. I have found the people on this forum are VERY generous with their time and experience and very willing to help.

Happy learning and welcome again!

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcom.
    With very very few exceptions, diabetic cats require two doses on insulin about 12 hours apart.
    5 units of any insulin is a very very high starting dose. I would reduce dose to 1 units twice daily until you get a metter and see what Captain's insulin needs are as determined by his BGs.

4. Danii94

Danii94 New Member

Thank you so much! I’ve been trying to do the spreadsheet but I do not have a computer. Is there a way to do this off of the iPhone?

5. Danii94

Danii94 New Member

Thank you so much! I have the meter now so I’m going to start his readings before his next shot.

6. Danii94

Danii94 New Member

His first reading is 139. I gave him 3 units this morning at 8:30 instead of the 5 units (I didn’t want to completely cut him, but tomorrow we’re going to see about doing the 1 unit twice a day)

7. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

When was that first 139 bg taken? Before giving the 3 units insulin 8.30 or hours after?

We do curves like this

A.m pre-insulin

+2-3 hours after morning insulin

+4-5 hours after morning insulin

+6 hours after morning insulin

+7-8 hours after morning insulin

+9 hours after morning insulin

+12 hours P.m pre-insulin

I'll be here

8. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Danii94 likes this.
  9. Danii94

Danii94 New Member

The 139 was at 2:45pm so about 7 hours after the insulin

10. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

At + 7 - 139 - on 3 units insulin at 8.30 a.m.

That's a good number and with that number I am very glad you only gave him 3 units then.

I'll find the bg number chart link for you to see the whole bg spectra. You will learn as you go along.

On this link here you see the whole blood glucose spectra.

The bg numbers between 70 and 105 are the normal bg numbers.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/bg-convert.htm

And between 105 to 170 are okay numbers too.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Danii94 likes this.
  11. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

She is posting over in the Prozinc forum. Please Danii94, stay in the main forum, in this thread for now. This thread is just for you.

Very few people in Prozinc. You have more people over in this forum to help you.

p.s. Ignore what I said over in ISG. Here is the best forum for you.
    p.p.s.s. Didn't realize she had been posting here also. Bad Deb, should have looked first.

12. Danii94

Danii94 New Member

i posted there first last night and was redirected to here. I’m glad I was because I’ve gotten a lot of help! Thank you so much!!

13. Deb & Wink

Danii94 likes this.
  14. Deb & Wink

You need to install Google sheets and Google drive on your phone. Tagging @Jennifer R. who may be able to help you with that.

Quoting Jennifer R.'s post about that for you here.

"I don't know if this will help, but if you install Google Sheets and Google Drive on your iPhone, you can update the spreadsheet from that instead of a computer. When I found that out it made things a lot easier."

"It takes a whole community to raise a child." as the saying goes.

Danii94 likes this.
  15. Danii94

Danii94 New Member

Thank you so much!! I’m going to sit down and read these tonight, and try to get Google drive on my phone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.